WBK vs AMA Superbike track quality

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Just watched WBK in England and AMA at Mid-Ohio races back -to-back (love my DVR!). I follow MotoGP but not typically Superbike, are all US tracks such a hodgepodge surface compared to the WBK tracks? The British track (not Donington Park, Brands Hatch) was baby-butt smooth and consistent pavement, Ohio looked like a bad patch job by the County road crew here in Arkansas...
rock.gif

Are all the AMA tracks so poorly maintained, or is this just a bad example? Are U.S. tracks just not as well financed as international tracks?

Can't imagine riding at that level with grip changing not only at different sections of the track, but actual overlays in patches that would grip differently...
mad.gif

Most Major American tracks are used much more by auto racing than any European Track by probably 3 times the amount. Cars really can tear up a track and Cars are where the $$$$ is in racing in the States  
super.gif

There are some really nice racetracks in the US.

Infineon, Laguna, Miller, etc...

Mid-Ohio isn't one of the top tracks...

Are all the AMA tracks so poorly maintained, or is this just a bad example?[/Quote]
America in general is deteriorating due to a lack of re-investment in infrastructure. Privately owned (I assume Mid-Ohio is) venues are for-profit enterprises and the sponsors must hold the owners accountable for the track conditions. DaCol is spot on about the multi-use issue as cars really do most of the damage and my guess is that there is a lot more amateur racing here in the colonies than in Europe.
Funding (gas tax) that was set aside to perpetuate our public roads and bridges has been re-directed (insert dirty smirk here) elsewhere and its starting to show, most recently in Minnesota.

Well is this not a hodge podge eh?

If you want to watch Moto GP you have to buy an online 'pass' to see WTF is going on - Lord knows the coverage is not adequate to follow the action on cable or satellite.

WSBK?
Dont get 'into' that one, by the time you learn what is what and who is riding for who, it'll all go away when the Speed Channel gets some more Moto GP permissions...

AMA Superbike and its siblings?
Geez, we had the Super Bowl of Motorcycle racing here at Laguna (the combo Moto GP / AMA weekend) and got di** for coverage - unless you watched the 3am version a week later or that wonderful re-run we had this last weekend when it rained in Ohio....

Your looking at the tracks?
Gee-Mo-Ninny
Heck, I'd just like to see some consistent coverage of any of it,  track surface be dam***!

Womens boxing and badminton gets better press than we do in this genre.

But yeah, you are spot on, our tracks lack too...

actually, the track at mid ohio was jsut repaved this yr. they have a ton of auto racing that goes on there thus taking a big toll on the track. i was at the mid ohio race and was gonna get the chance to take a lap or 2 around the track on sunday but it was a no go cause of the rain.

Barber, VIR and Miller are actually VERY NICE tracks with good surfaces. Miller and Barber are prolly tops, considering Miller just got added for a round of WSBK, and Barber is finishing negotiations. That should say something.

(Charlesbusa @ Aug. 06 2007,15:36) There are some really nice racetracks in the US.

Infineon, Laguna, Miller, etc...

Mid-Ohio isn't one of the top tracks...
Raod Atlanta and Barbers are fantastic...

(YH2K @ Aug. 06 2007,21:14) Well is this not a hodge podge eh?

If you want to watch Moto GP you have to buy an online 'pass' to see WTF is going on - Lord knows the coverage is not adequate to follow the action on cable or satellite.

WSBK?
Dont get 'into' that one, by the time you learn what is what and who is riding for who, it'll all go away when the Speed Channel gets some more Moto GP permissions...

AMA Superbike and its siblings?
Geez, we had the Super Bowl of Motorcycle racing here at Laguna (the combo Moto GP / AMA weekend) and got di** for coverage - unless you watched the 3am version a week later or that wonderful re-run we had this last weekend when it rained in Ohio....

Your looking at the tracks?
Gee-Mo-Ninny
Heck, I'd just like to see some consistent coverage of any of it,  track surface be dam***!

Womens boxing and badminton gets better press than we do in this genre.

But yeah, you are spot on, our tracks lack too...
Randy, I bet you were looking for them on Speed Channel. I almost did the same thing. I sat glaring at Speed for about 15 minutes then I remembered that FOX was carrying them live. I'm sorry you missed them, it was the best motorcycle racing weekend coverage I have seen.

Back