Warped rear rotor?!!!

PADEROLIS

Registered
I think my rear rotor is warped, which suprises me because I hardly ever use my rear brake. I went out to the garage this morning to prep her for a ride, and when I took her off the rear stand to roll her foward the rear wheel would'nt turn!! I checked the rear brake lever and it did not seem stuck, I then (after putting back on rear stand) manually spun the wheel. It is really hard to spin for about 3-4 seconds and then it seems to spin freely for about 1 second.

I just rode her Friday to work and on the dragstrip and I did'nt notice anything unusual. Is it possible the wheel was spinning too fast while I was riding to notice this? Could it possibly be anything else?:banghead: Maybe this was affecting my times at the dragstrip!???

IMG_3875 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_3876 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

IMG_3877 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

i have a bareley used rear rotor. just needs to be scrubbed up a little bit. but is deffintly within spec and real good i dont need it as my busa was stolen in september let me know.

I would do a bit of diagnosis before tearing into new parts..

drop the caliper bolts first and get the thing out of the way.. see how it spins now..

could be you have a chain or a bearing issue, both of which can turn ugly pretty fast at speed...

I would do a bit of diagnosis before tearing into new parts..

drop the caliper bolts first and get the thing out of the way.. see how it spins now..

could be you have a chain or a bearing issue, both of which can turn ugly pretty fast at speed...

+1 ....... even with a warped rotor, the caliper should move easily enough to allow for some runout.

Rotor looks fine to me. Disengage the caliper,remove pads and put one of them between pistons(to stop them pistons before the exit of the caliper)... press the rear brake to expose the pistons as much as possible and clean them(pistons) with a solvant suitable for brake cleaning.Use a tooth brush or something like barrel brush to reach all surfaces.Then wipe the rest of the dirt...press pistons back in and engage the caliper.This will turn the pistons loose and your weel free :beerchug:

Thank you for your help and suggestions everyone! I actually sprayed brake cleaner on pads and this seemed to help, I was able to roll the bike alot more freely. Tomorrow a buddy of mine and I will take a closer look at things, he owns two Busas himself and has a small shop space behind his house.

I was able to go on my ride and I encountered no further problems, but it still sticks in some areas when I spin it on the rear stand. I will no doubt have to inspect the other possibilities mentioned. Thanks again!!:bowdown:

Aaron, give me a shout. If you barely ever use the rear and the caliper is dirty, you may have a stuck caliper. It's possible that the caliper piston got crudded up, and when used last, stuck out a bit. Disengage caliper, pull off, and spin wheel. If wheel spins freely, then take Berryman Chemtool and spray underneath boot of caliper. Let sit, then drain out. Then spray WD40 underneath and collapse piston back into caliper. Reinstall, and then pump up caliper via brake pedal. Torque bolts and have a nice day !!! :super:

You didn't mentioned, does the rotor look warped? as its spinning say when the bikes up on the stand.

I would drop the caliper and check the rotor with a dial indicator to really see if it is warped. I would also check all my adjustments on the axle nuts chain slack and the rotor itself tightened to the wheel to make sure none of that has fallen out of spec. Pull the wheel and check your bearings to. Between these and cleaning up your caliper it should fix something.....or nothing.. Good luck. :beerchug:

Back