Warped Front Rotors

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I had ChattanoogaBusa and Fishhook take the bike down the road this last Sunday. We were trying to figure out what was going on with my front brakes. A weird shimmy when coming down from just about any speed. We couldn't really pin anything down that day....

Move forward to last night....pulled the wheel to mount up a Q2 on the front and gave it a good spin while the calipers where off. Sure enough the rotors are warped. :banghead:(Too much track time is all I can figure.)

Bought up a set of EBC XC series from Pashnit. Now I just get to wait.

Shimmy when brakes were applied or just on decel with no brakes? Having a little shimmy too between 70-50 mph on decel with no brakes.

Charlie, from what I've always heard, I was expecting to feel something in the lever if the rotors were warped. Did you just watch the rotors on the balancing stand to check them?

Spinning the wheel mounted on the Busa with the calipers off. Spin it up with a bit of speed and it is easy to see the rotor moving in and out.

Charlie, from what I've always heard, I was expecting to feel something in the lever if the rotors were warped. Did you just watch the rotors on the balancing stand to check them?

You should be able to feel warpage in the lever when braking as the rotors pulsate, it will push back against the lever like rotors on a car will push back against the pedal.

That is what people keep saying, but didn't present like that in my case.

You should be able to feel warpage in the lever when braking as the rotors pulsate, it will push back against the lever like rotors on a car will push back against the pedal.

Well, I had ChattanoogaBusa and Fishhook take the bike down the road this last Sunday. We were trying to figure out what was going on with my front brakes. A weird shimmy when coming down from just about any speed. We couldn't really pin anything down that day....

Move forward to last night....pulled the wheel to mount up a Q2 on the front and gave it a good spin while the calipers where off. Sure enough the rotors are warped. :banghead:(Too much track time is all I can figure.)

Don't throw those rotors out dude, send them to me! I'll put them to good use! :please:

I'd better look at mine too Charlie. I've noticed at the bottom of braking I get a wierd feel also....

Sounds like you have a warped rotor to me. Mine did the same thing and I went with the EBC from Pashnit as well. As far as feeling the shimmy in the lever... in some cases you will feel it and in others you won't because the brakes kinda "float" in the caliper so if they are not too bad it may not move the pads enough to push a noticeable amount of fluid back but it would still cause a shimmy in the whole bike.

As far as feeling the shimmy in the lever... in some cases you will feel it and in others you won't because the brakes kinda "float" in the caliper so if they are not too bad it may not move the pads enough to push a noticeable amount of fluid back but it would still cause a shimmy in the whole bike.

I second this! I have warped rotors a little and a lot (cars and bikes, not the Hayabusa...yet) and it just depends on how bad they are. Sometimes you get feedback through the lever/pedal, sometimes not.

When a rotor has been warped for and entended period, it will actually wear to a different thickness around... usually two high spots and two low spots. This is when you start to get significant feedback.

Yeah just like the guy who accidentally bumped over his tv so he could get a new one.

"Honey my rotors are warped :(, so I guess have to buy some new ones :( "

Charlie, you could certainly get a few bucks for them at the next yard sale. I'm sure there's a Civic in need. :laugh:

Not really....those came out of my track budget. They cost me a weekend.:banghead:

Yeah just like the guy who accidentally bumped over his tv so he could get a new one.

"Honey my rotors are warped :(, so I guess have to buy some new ones :( "

Back