WARNING ANGELES CREST RIDERS!

BurbankBusaBoy

Registered
I was heading up to the Crest here in so cal yesterday and for those familiar with the area i was using the Oro Vista entrance into the canyon. Right before where the road washed out in the heavy rain we had awhile back, where there is now a small detour i saw something in the road...1st i thought it was a stick then it started moving, then i saw the SNAKE coil up before the strike as i passed over it the snake struck and had a distance of at least 3 feet. I was a few feet away and ilifted my foot and i could swear it hit the peg. In that area the road is all tore up so your riding speed varies until you hit the black-top where you can open it up. All im sayin is keep an eye out....esp if your takin a break on the side of the road. I thought its a bit early for snakes in the crest but after talking with a ranger about it he said at lower altitudes they can come out a little early in the season....
guns.gif
I hate snakes... Took me a good 10 miles before i was comfortable again
crazy.gif

Rattle snakes are no fun to walk up on either....kinda freezes you a little.
SHOCKED.gif

(hydrabusa @ Mar. 19 2007,21:03) even the dead snakes fangs can kill somebody...isn't that crazy?
even the ones that are stuffed in a striking pose can have venom in the fangs if they were not drained.

Dang ... that's one good reason to live in Philly ....

Here we only have to fight the rats in the sewers.

New to the area. Someone wanna tell me where Angeles Crest is? I take it that it is a good place to ride?

Its Awesome if you like the twisties. Very popular so theres lots of LEOS but if you are reasonable so are they. Depending on preference and where you are comming from you can exit the 210 In La Canada @ Angelas Crest Highway and the 2 and head for the hills..theres signs...The way i go is I exit the 210 Fwy @ Sunland Blvd in the city of Sunland/Tujunga, then head up the hill which is a right off the FWY if your comming from the pasadena/la crescenta area and a left under the freeway if your comming from the Valencia Direction. A few miles up you will hit a street called "Oro Vista" where you make a left turn. At that corner you should have a 7/11 on your right and a Jack in the Box on your left. Continue Through the Residential Neigthborhood all the way until you hit a Right hand sweeping curve (only way you can go) and keep your speed down, the turn is super rough/bumpy. This is considered Tujunga Canyon and the first few miles is pretty rough riding and theres a section of road that washed out but once you get passed the Juvinile Detention Facility, which will be on the right, the Road Blackens and you can open her up. Theres all kinds of ways you can go and even end up in the High Desert. The first stop you come to will be a right or left only... take a right unless u have a full tank and are feeling adventurous...there is still snow up there. Ride the canyon, enjoy the sights until you come to the next stop at the ranger station on your right side. If your tired take a right and it will take you back to the 210. If your still up for some riding and have fuel, take a left and enjoy. About 20 min in that Direction you will come across a resturant/bar call Newcombs ranch. Foods great, common rider stop and unlike most "biker style bars" theres usually more Imports than HD's. Like i said theres plenty of LEOS so be careful. The positive side of that is on a nice day esp sat's or sun's theres lots of riders and if you go down you will be found quickly, that is unless you go over the edge...Not very likely though if your a half way decent rider. PM me if you want cause i try to ride there at least twice a week. I'll show you around the area. Are you new to this area or CA? Anyways enjoy let me know if you have any questions or wanna hook up for a ride....BBB
beerchug.gif

(BurbankBusaBoy @ Mar. 19 2007,17:14) I was heading up to the Crest here in so cal yesterday and for those familiar with the area i was using the Oro Vista entrance into the canyon.  Right before where the road washed out in the heavy rain we had awhile back, where there is now a small detour i saw something in the road...1st i thought it was a stick then it started moving, then i saw the SNAKE coil up before the strike as i passed over it the snake struck and had a distance of at least 3 feet.  I was a few feet away and ilifted my foot and i could swear it hit the peg.  In that area the road is all tore up so your riding speed varies until you hit the black-top where you can open it up.  All im sayin is keep an eye out....esp if your takin a break on the side of the road.  I thought its a bit early for snakes in the crest but after talking with a ranger about it he said at lower altitudes they can come out a little early in the season....
guns.gif
  I hate snakes... Took me a good 10 miles before i was comfortable again
crazy.gif
SHOCKED.gif
Bet your butthole got a little tighter!
wow.gif

Glad he missed! Stay safe bro!
beerchug.gif

I used to ride the Pacific Crest Trail when I had horses and there is nothing more impressive or frightening than to come up on a big fat rattler. The most prolific in the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mtns. seems to be the Southern Pacific Rattler. I have seen them nearly 5 ft. long and 8 in. in diameter, fat and nasty. So if you decide to stop along the road and take a break be alert. Don't let anybody kid you, if you get bit you are in serious trouble.

(dmrowe @ Mar. 20 2007,16:36) I used to ride the Pacific Crest Trail when I had horses and there is nothing more impressive or frightening than to come up on a big fat rattler.  The most prolific in the San Bernardino and San Gabriel Mtns. seems to be the Southern Pacific Rattler.  I have seen them nearly 5 ft. long and 8 in. in diameter, fat and nasty.  So if you decide to stop along the road and take a break be alert.  Don't let anybody kid you, if you get bit you are in serious trouble.

5X8! Are you sure that's not a DRAINAGE CANAL!

I didn't know they GOT that big! Good 'ol kansas!

Good advice. I've been struck at each spring in the last two years. Just little rattlers, but still...
wow.gif

And they look like rubber strips when you come up on them, then they coil and strike. I don't know where they are on a snake, but they must be brass.

(Big O @ Mar. 20 2007,16:49) Good advice.  I've been struck at each spring in the last two years.  Just little rattlers, but still...  
wow.gif

And they look like rubber strips when you come up on them, then they coil and strike.  I don't know where they are on a snake, but they must be brass.
I've been told the baby snakes are more dangerous than the adults because they evidently don't 'dose' their venom when they bite they just give you the full load.  And yes, that snake looked like a big piece of manzanita laying next to the trail, except it was big and fat and tappered at both ends...the biggest rattler I had ever seen. Threw a rock at him to get him off the trail and you never saw a snake move so fast or get so pissed!  Here are some interesting facts:

The Snakes
<ul>In the World - There are more than 5,400,000 snake bites annually with about 125,000 deaths per year.

[/list]In the US - There’s approximately 120 species of snakes of which 26 are venomous.  There are more than 10,000 snake bites annually but only 1-2 deaths per year.

<ul>In the West Texas Region - There are more that 55 snake bites annually with 90% of the bites occurring during the months of May, June, July, August, September and October

The Victims
[/list]90% are males between the ages of 18 – 38 and involve alcohol.

<ul>80% of bites are on the hand and involve deliberate handling or attempts to catch the snake

[/list]Only 15% of bites are in the foot or ankle area

<ul>98% of all envenamations in (USA) are from Pit Vipers, 1% are from Coral Snakes and 1% from others

The Bites
[/list]About 25% of all bites by venomous snakes are dry bites - do not result in envenomation (no venom is injected)

<ul>Snake venom poisoning is an emergency requiring immediate attention

[/list]Delayed or inadequate treatment may result in significant morbidity or mortality

Pre-Hospital Treatment
<ul>Wound Care - Wash the affected area with soap and water; apply a loose dressing to prevent infection

[/list]Immobilization by splinting the limb will promote oxygen exchange and slows down circulation and absorption process

<ul>Transport to a Health Care Facility Immediately - Do not run to a vehicle, bring the vehicle to the patient

[/list]Call Poison Center to advise health care facility & ensure antivenom is available

The closest level 1 trauma center for the San Gabriels or San Bernardinos would be Loma Linda University Hospital.  Primary rule with snakes....DON'T F**K WITH 'EM!  (see notes above regarding snake handling and alcohol)

Back