Warming Up the Tires

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
I live in MD and went for a ride today. The temp was 48 degrees. How long or how many miles should I wait or go before the tires are considered "warm?" Then I can rip the road into pieces :-) I get The tires are stock on a 04 LE. Also, how many miles do you think I can get on these stock tires? I don't drive to hard ;-)

<!--EDIT|Cuffee
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103413473 -->

i would let the warm up a good 15 minutes or so.
if you dont ride to hard or do burnouts you could get 5000 miles out of the oem tires fairly easy

I have got about 3500 miles on my 04' Busa and the rear tire is getting ready to be replaced. I am ex cruiser who is just getting use to this sport bike thing.. so not very aggressive, but getting there.

I ride at a moderate pace and I got 4,500 out of my rear and the front still was in good condition but I replaced it to match the new rear.

My stock busa rear was into the wear bars at 1400 miles... Might have pulled 2-2.5k out of 'em. I'll never know. I took 'em off and put better tires on at 1400...

I don't push my tires until I've at least went through a decent section of twisties at a moderate pace first. I don't go by miles or minutes as that doesn't take into account all variables. If it's so many miles or minutes straight up with no lean the sides of the tires are not gonna be at optimum temps even though the center may be...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103490538 -->

Just roll down the road about a block and then snap the throttle wide open and don't let out of it until the smoke stops then the rear should be good to go.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just kidding, you will have to get the feel for it and figure it out. Like BT said there are so many variables that have to be considered, you can not go by time or miles. Just my .02

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'd say there is no general answer to your question. There are so many varibles involved including but not limited to,,,,,,,, ruber compound, manufacturer, ambient temperature, asphalt temperature, tire pressure, among others. What really heats the tire up is acceleration and braking. Cruising will warm the tire and the faster you go the warmer the tire becomes. However, the tire really never gets hot on the streets like it does on the track with excessive acceleration and hard braking. If I'm not using tire warmers I usually wait until the forth lap before I really reach max velosity. First lap, hard on the straight and gentle in the corners. Second hard on the straight with a bit more agression on the brakes and curves, third lap is about 80%. Then it's balls to the wall kaos for the remainder of the session. It's winter time and I'd be just a bit more cautious with tires. They just won't perform as well in cold weather as warm or hot weather. More caution at night when the pavement cools than during the day when it's warmer? Good judgment and common sense is what counts! Have fun, be cautious!

Tufbusa said it all---
I want to add---this summer i put on a set of new tires....Fully broke them in in ten miles.....up a twisty mountain road. average speed started at 55---to 95----near the top--they were fully scrubbed....gently lean her in----gas rolling on wiggle--wiggle--just abit---being smooth rolling into a turn is the key---not like the masters who just slam um' over...after using tire warmers---Mladin etc.--DuHamel...sheez they rock......
laugh.gif

Back