War stories

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Here's a spot we can spill off from the other thread where we all seemed to have an interest in war stories...this way we don't offend BerlinGermany and take over his thread.

My grandfather who died in Ortona Italy Dec 17 1943 was an artillery officer, his points were up and he was getting promoted and returning to Canada to take command of an artillery regiment on the base I retired out of ironically. My grandmother, dad and aunt were in Ottawa (from Saskatoon) awaiting his return when they found out he was KIA. They returned to Saskatoon where my dad grew up and eventually joined the army (armored corps) himself. Years later and I joined the infantry (then changed to logistics), both of my sons joined (Air Force and artillery).

When my dad died, I got my grandfather's medals and uniform and my dad's beret and bayonet.

For a fledgling country like Canada, 4 generations of serving members is kind or a rarity.

My Dad was in the Air Force and flew 30 missions over enemy territory in a B-26 Marauder as a tail gunner. He was at the ninth air force station in England. He made it home safely. Lived until he was 80. He earned the Distinguished Flying Cross and 3 Oak Clusters.
JOESDAD2.JPG

My step father joined the navy at 17 WWII and then the army for 17 years ending up as a master sergeant. He was at times stationed in Ca. That is how we ended up moving there. He lived to age 59.
BobYounger.jpg

I figured this thread was going to go somewhere...huh...

My brother is the one who has all the detail about Dad's WWII service. He was a pilot - VMB-611, which I think was a Marine bomber squadron, and I used to know the plane he flew ... PBJ Mitchell? No pics at the moment, but I'll bug someone and post some!

I turned 18 in '74, was never required to register for the draft, joined a RnR band instead, but did hang out for about 6 months with a PRU (?) during the late '70's. He had some ... interesting stories.

Here's a spot we can spill off from the other thread where we all seemed to have an interest in war stories...this way we don't offend BerlinGermany and take over his thread.

My grandfather who died in Ortona Italy Dec 17 1943 was an artillery officer, his points were up and he was getting promoted and returning to Canada to take command of an artillery regiment on the base I retired out of ironically. My grandmother, dad and aunt were in Ottawa (from Saskatoon) awaiting his return when they found out he was KIA. They returned to Saskatoon where my dad grew up and eventually joined the army (armored corps) himself. Years later and I joined the infantry (then changed to logistics), both of my sons joined (Air Force and artillery).

When my dad died, I got my grandfather's medals and uniform and my dad's beret and bayonet.

For a fledgling country like Canada, 4 generations of serving members is kind or a rarity.
I’d like to thank you and your family for your sacrifices and courage I’ve recently doing research on my family. My great uncle Ephstratios was Killed by a sniper in bulacan just outside Manilla on May 8th 1945 My papou ( grandpa) was a combat medicIn Philippines My other uncle drove a landing craft carrying troops onto the beaches of Normandy on DDay and my uncle Nick fought in the European and South Pacific and came back highly decorated I actually have swords from the Japanese after they surrendered They have two more brothers that fought I’m still doing research on. They were all brothers and all drafted. It blew my mind when I started researching I am extremely proud of them if I ever have a son I’m going to name Him Ephstratios after my great uncle! I think my uncle would love it

My grandfather Joseph Casazza was a Sargent in the US Army ,and stormed the beaches on DD . My mother told me his unit was the Big Red one .
When the landing crafts where hitting the beach my grandfather told his men please don't make me shoot you for not getting off the craft . Apparently orders from higher up the chain . Thankfully he did not have to.
He said he only survived because he was so short 5' 4" ,and the bullets were flying over him . Here is link to 1st infantry
He never told me anything about it.
Wanted to be NYPD officer when he got home . Told he was to short . Took role money in a both of the New York subway till he retired. He was a good man .
All of my family have served, but my mother ,and I .
Today my son Hunter called me to complain about drill @ 5 am in Hawaii on MCAB .
Told him I would trade him in a heat beat.
He replied I know you would Dad .

My grandfather Joseph Casazza was a Sargent in the US Army ,and stormed the beaches on DD . My mother told me his unit was the Big Red one .
When the landing crafts where hitting the beach my grandfather told his men please don't make me shoot you for not getting off the craft . Apparently orders from higher up the chain . Thankfully he did not have to.
He said he only survived because he was so short 5' 4" ,and the bullets were flying over him . Here is link to 1st infantry
He never told me anything about it.
Wanted to be NYPD officer when he got home . Told he was to short . Took role money in a both of the New York subway till he retired. He was a good man .
All of my family have served, but my mother ,and I .
Today my son Hunter called me to complain about drill @ 5 am in Hawaii on MCAB .
Told him I would trade him in a heat beat.
He replied I know you would Dad .

I watched the Big Red One movie with Lee Marvin just yesterday.

Great to hear such stories

Back