Want suggestion regarding setting up the bike for outback touring

Daft

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm from Australia and planning to do around Australia trip which is approximately 14,000 kms on my gen 2 2018 Busa. I want the some suggestions about the adventure style tyres and some general tips what all to be followed.
I'm planning to do this around September October and planning it from now.

Your advice will be appreciated!

Cheers,
DAFT

Regardless of which tires, I would bring a small air compressor, several styles of tire patches and plugs, and 90 degree valve stems just make it easier.
Zipties can help get you out of a jam too.
I would think a couple of small fuel containers would be a must as well.
I would find every dealer/bike shop on my route ahead of time, and plan for a tire change somewhere along the way.

Welcome @Daft.

We have a member @pashnit who provides professional tours in the US and posts more tour history, tips, tricks, accessory advice, etc. than a person could possibly track:

Forum:

Prior gen 2 bike configuration (like yours)

His new gen 3 config:

A method (and materials) to lube the chain
Stock gearing on the sprockets? Some of the tourers go down 1 or 2 rear (touring mode: less quick, better MPG)
Research which tire patch/plug system to carry. Recommend Ryan F9's vid on tire repair systems
Because I was moto/backpacking (and would be off the bike for days at a time) I brought along a bike cover
+1 knowing supply sources along the way

9k mi on Michelin PR series tires so far, another 2k (?) to go. A very good touring tire choice

Welcome @Daft.

We have a member @pashnit who provides professional tours in the US and posts more tour history, tips, tricks, accessory advice, etc. than a person could possibly track:

Forum:

Prior gen 2 bike configuration (like yours)

His new gen 3 config:
This is true, our very own @pashnit pretty much eats, sleeps and dreams about riding long distances and has set up more than a few bikes to do so...

Usually it's enough to just do a propper inspection of the motorcycle.
I don't think you'll meet any issues from the motorcycle, unless you encounter some special conditions such as high altitude or having to ride in scorching heat (above 38°C in cities).
15K km is a breeze for a well maintained Hayabusa.
Generally, the issues come from:
1. electric issues (week battery)
2. clutch (plates and or cable)
3. acceleration cable
4. unable to stay cool (issues with cooling)
5. rectifier gives up (heat or electrical issues not discovered before the trip)
6. short beam bulb poping out ;)
But the real concern is only a flat tire. And maybe the battery, if it gets really cold outside.

As I've said: be sure to to a proper electrical and mechanical inspection and maintenance before the trip.

Regardless of which tires, I would bring a small air compressor, several styles of tire patches and plugs, and 90 degree valve stems just make it easier.
Zipties can help get you out of a jam too.
I would think a couple of small fuel containers would be a must as well.
I would find every dealer/bike shop on my route ahead of time, and plan for a tire change somewhere along the way.
90 degree valve sounds good, I will get it charged. I have bought a Jerry can. I need to do research about the dealers in the route, but I got the road side assistance.

Welcome,

I take it you already have some sort of bags on your bike?

Some of your fellow countrymen will be along who could better advise you on what you might need considering the type of terrain and obstacles you might encounter.

@Dai @ottafish @VNE

@sixpack577 provided you with a few sound suggestions but the list is varied and long for such a voyage.
Hi,
I have the ventura on my bike.

Usually it's enough to just do a propper inspection of the motorcycle.
I don't think you'll meet any issues from the motorcycle, unless you encounter some special conditions such as high altitude or having to ride in scorching heat (above 38°C in cities).
15K km is a breeze for a well maintained Hayabusa.
Generally, the issues come from:
1. electric issues (week battery)
2. clutch (plates and or cable)
3. acceleration cable
4. unable to stay cool (issues with cooling)
5. rectifier gives up (heat or electrical issues not discovered before the trip)
6. short beam bulb poping out ;)
But the real concern is only a flat tire. And maybe the battery, if it gets really cold outside.

As I've said: be sure to to a proper electrical and mechanical inspection and maintenance before the trip.
I will replace the battery before the ride, how do I get to know if my rectifier is good needs replacement? Or you reckon carry a spare?
I have had bad experience with my gsxr600 regulator rectifier failure and this was one of my concerns.
Thanks for bringing this point up

When you say "Adventure", are you talking about going off road for 14K? On road you'd be hard pressed to get that much life out of a top shelf Sport Touring tire, let alone ADV tires.

Apart from what's been covered already, throwing these out for thoughts

Def a listing of all the bike shops, tyre places.
compressor and repair kits
Extra driving / spot lights - Roo's, emu's, wombats, etc
Suspension set up correctly with correct springs and preload for the luggage
Fork seal cleaning kit
Chain lube and/or cleaner
A better seat / tank bag - helps to rest on.
Touring screen - if you want
rad and oil guards local Au manufacturer makes awesome stuff
think about cruise control - wouldn't have a bike without now
Emergency Sat beacon - depending on where you're heading. If crossing the Nullabor solo - def a epirb
And I'd ditch the ventura rack and back and opt for a Givi type setup - water proof and dust proof, esp for the red sh1t that you may run into

...how do I get to know if my rectifier is good needs replacement? Or you reckon carry a spare?

I don't know how you can test it but a electrician should.
I have a mechanic and don't do service to my own motorcycle.
Before I leave on a long trip spanning for weeks, I just talk with my mechanic and we do the things we have to do.
I remove everything that has a slight hint of wear (cables, screws).

You can carry a rectifier with you as it's small and doesn't take much space.
I would also advise on having spare (backup) cables already routed besides the default existing ones for clutch and speed.
If a cable should break it's much easier to connect the ends of the spare one, instead of removing the fairings and route a spare. Imagine having to do this at night, on on heavy rain...

Having a air compressor is also a good thing.
And check every bearing because if one of them breaks on the road you will nead heavy and serious tools that are not feasible to carry.

As for tools, I would carry only a small kit enough to just tighten any loose screws on the way.
It's not like you're gonna disassemble the motorcycle on the side of the road.
Also, don't carry oil with you if you can find it on your way. Every middle town should have the oil and filter you need. But check it first.
I mean, you should have a plan before you leave. I would check the map for any options on the way.

If a serious thing should happen you are gonna need a garage and they have all the tools there.

But keep in mind that preparation is the key and doing a serious maintenance before the trip will keep you away from serious trouble.
By the way, I never changed the rectifier since 2015 when I purchased the motorcycle.
Rode in towns at 40°C (104°F), and also at -2°C (28°F) and haven't had any issues. Sure, I had to stop for a few time because of the heat, but no damage or anything that would need a garage or even a tool.

A well maintaned motorcycle will not give you problems as long as you don't crush it.

I will replace the battery before the ride, how do I get to know if my rectifier is good needs replacement? Or you reckon carry a spare?
I have had bad experience with my gsxr600 regulator rectifier failure and this was one of my concerns.

There are voltage and impedance tests in the service manual for the DC rectifier voltage and AC voltage of the stator. The tests are easy to run via a multimeter and getting access is the biggest hurdle. That said, pack the multimeter with you, if it was not already mentioned above. A $10 multimeter is worth its weight in stolen catalytic converter platinum.

With respect to bad parts and recalls, many times a burned up rectifier is not the problem but the victim of other incidents. Race replica hardware is fragile. It is not robust enough to handle dead batteries, bump/jump starts, etc. There is a saying from batteries that hints at this: "Batteries don't die, they are murdered." That is not exactly true, but it hints at using good habits to avoid failures.

Connectors can vibrate apart over time. So it is a good practice on a year/mileage schedule (5 years for your bike, it is a good time for such) to pull apart electrical connections, check them for burnt areas, clean them, and re-seat them to know that they are tight. The rectifier/stator connection, grounds, and headlight connector are the high power connections, and among other connections, are good candidates for inspection on every bike.

I don't know how you can test it but a electrician should.
I have a mechanic and don't do service to my own motorcycle.
Before I leave on a long trip spanning for weeks, I just talk with my mechanic and we do the things we have to do.
I remove everything that has a slight hint of wear (cables, screws).

You can carry a rectifier with you as it's small and doesn't take much space.
I would also advise on having spare (backup) cables already routed besides the default existing ones for clutch and speed.
If a cable should break it's much easier to connect the ends of the spare one, instead of removing the fairings and route a spare. Imagine having to do this at night, on on heavy rain...

Having a air compressor is also a good thing.
And check every bearing because if one of them breaks on the road you will nead heavy and serious tools that are not feasible to carry.

As for tools, I would carry only a small kit enough to just tighten any loose screws on the way.
It's not like you're gonna disassemble the motorcycle on the side of the road.
Also, don't carry oil with you if you can find it on your way. Every middle town should have the oil and filter you need. But check it first.
I mean, you should have a plan before you leave. I would check the map for any options on the way.

If a serious thing should happen you are gonna need a garage and they have all the tools there.

But keep in mind that preparation is the key and doing a serious maintenance before the trip will keep you away from serious trouble.
By the way, I never changed the rectifier since 2015 when I purchased the motorcycle.
Rode in towns at 40°C (104°F), and also at -2°C (28°F) and haven't had any issues. Sure, I had to stop for a few time because of the heat, but no damage or anything that would need a garage or even a tool.

A well maintaned motorcycle will not give you problems as long as you don't crush it.
Exactly, we followed your adventures as well...we should have added you into the fray from the get-go....

Daft - couple tips - The Ventura Rack is not designed for heavy weight - at least mine weren't. I've had one on my Gen2 and also currently on my TL1000R. On the TL, I've broken it twice and headed off to the town welder to get it fixed & reinforced - twice. The second time, he welded in additional bracing. My Gen2, I only used the Sport Pack for extra camera gear, no weight, no issues. I even had it custom painted to match the bike and it worked great. About 10–15 years ago, everybody on this site bought Ventura racks. I was even a dealer for them. The rack held extra fuel too, I carried two 30L MSR Fuel canisters. Probably didn't need that much gas, but peace of mind is priceless.

Carrying an extra regulator/rectifier is an interesting idea. I've had them go out on trips for myself, and we've had other riders on our tours that've had theirs quit working (all the Aprilia owners - haha) in the middle of a tour, leaving them stranded.

Long Ride to me means crash survival for the bike. All the old timers on this site all bought billet aluminum Woodcraft stator covers awhile back. The stock one you have on your bike is like pot metal and breaks easily in a crash. Plus, a good set of T-Rex no-cut sliders can be the difference between being stranded vs. a bruised ego and scrapped up fairings.

Throttlemeister is out of business, but I don't know how anyone survives without some type of throttle lock for long rides.

I've always carried an extra set of (cheap) levers in the tail section. Put them in there and forget about it. One time I broke both of them off on my Gen1 in a crash, the bike was fine, but with no levers, I was completely stranded.

Other odd thing is I've carried is a (motorcycle) tow strap and a ratchet tie down in the tail of the bike. You would think that would never get used, but we've actually pulled one of my tour riders out of a creek with my tow strap. Not sure how we would have gotten the bike out if I hadn't had that, it was 10 feet down below the road.

If you can't do a custom seat (they get expensive) a simple AirHawk seat pad is a low-cost solution.

Oh, and lastly, pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Back