Need a winter bike

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, Gas prices are sitting at $3.00 per gallon (regular) here in minneapolis, and the russian mafia guys who run the BP station near me say by Jan prices will be at or around $4.00 per gallon.

Last year I was still riding in January. Right now I plan on riding the Busa until it snows & average 2000 to 3000 miles a month. Now, when the snow fly, I know Im gonna have to use my jeep for snow days, but when the roads are clear of snow, I still want to ride and need some input on what would be a good winter bike I can ride from December to March in the cold Minnesota snowy climate. The cold doesnt bother me as Ive snowmobiled in -20 weather for several hours before and speeds were 80+ mph...so Im ok with the cold ( I guess all those years on a sled made me use to the cold).

I need a reliable bike - Not very expensive to purchase, or fix if I lay it down. I dont want a fancy bike, so as if it does go down Im not poo pooing about it. I would like EFI for those sub 30 F* days. Any suggestions?

Also, bike must be able to hold a set of oxford saddlebags, be under $3500.00, and be very reliable. Possibly an old BMW? I want to stay with a sport / touring style bike, no cruisers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

05_Performance_segimage.jpg

Yah, Yah, I know - the Fusions are nice, I could use a 900, but seriously, I sold my Polaris last year. Purchased it new in 04, loved it....but ya know we just dont get the snow we use to here in MN. And with getting married, I cant justify spending all my weekends traveling to sled. ....Cripe....I must resist the Sled addiction....Im starting to shake....must resist...Damnit...sigh
sad.gif

1999-2001 Buell Lightning . 50 MPG on the road and premo used one's sell cheap .

Minnesota winter bike

Minnesota summer track bike

Get a ninja 250 and put some dualsport knobbies on it... weighs almost nothing, and will have great grip for those wet/slick/salty/sandy roads... not to mention 70mpg..
smile.gif

Course, thats not an ST bike, and I dont think they've got efi either. IMO, a dualsport is a perfect winter bike... they're meant to be dropped in the dirt over and over (tough), and the tires are perfect for those road conditions.

I got a 02 klr 650. great dual purpose bike. No problems starting it in the winter cause of its automatic compression release. I ride it almost everyday and its good for 50 msg. In the streets of nyc no pot hole is too big and it has plenty of power for a comuter bike. Paid $2400 for it last summer with 4000 miles.

maybe I will have to look into one of thses dual purpose bikes. Thanks for the input. Will post when I find something, and get everyone's opinion. Thanks again.
wink.gif

You may want to look into an Enduro style street/trail bike. I'm sure you could find some bags to mount on it. JC Whitney always seems to carry stuff for the oddball bikes.

For simple transportation, just look for an older 80's/90's street bike 500-750cc. Should be pretty cheap.

yah, if I purchased again I would get a cat, just looked at the 06 models....very nice

www.thevmc.com Link no longer works
Picture of my 04 Edge-X with M-10 suspension. The M-10 was sweet, made the 121" track fun in the ditch's.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: "more polaris pics"|1125606885 -->

hey Valuim i may be up that way visiting sled this weekend ya up for a ride sunday afternoon or monday mabey?

yah - if your gonna be in the cities, drop me a pm & I will send ya my Cell number. I work overnights, so I might have some time. I think Sled is about 30 minutes south from me...Im in Brooklyn Park / Osseo area -- 18 miles NW of Minneapolis.

Back