Walmart, NO ammo sales before 7am.

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
I googled to see if walmart sells ammo, it brought up some interesting threads. Some do, some dont. Richmond area Walmarts dont sell ammo after 10pm.

I went by Walmart on my way into work(5am.) to use a couple gift cards for .45ACP ammo, and the sporting goods manager told me "no sales before 7am."

Interesting..........open 24 hours but, I guess they assume ammo sold during certain hours is likely used for illeagal purposes. Sounds alot like big brother to me. :banghead:

Comments?, Opinions?

yeah, was in one a while back and you couldnt even buy a bb gun after 10pm ... odd but whatever, guess Wallyworld is following some law, kinda like no booze after 2pm ???

yeah, was in one a while back and you couldnt even buy a bb gun after 10pm ... odd but whatever, guess Wallyworld is following some law, kinda like no booze after 2pm ???

2pm that sucks, I know I get all my drinking in at noon so I am good. :whistle:

Not trying to defend Wal Mart in any way, just playing devil's advocate here. Could be because many Wal Marts don't have as many employees working during those hours and my understanding from what I have heard they require those selling guns and ammo to be trained on state and federal laws.

If that is the case I agree with them as I wouldn't want someone who isn't familiar with laws and regulations just handing out ammo to anyone that wants it.

If it is because of another reason, shame on them.

Either way I don't buy guns or ammo from wal mart

Not trying to defend Wal Mart in any way, just playing devil's advocate here. Could be because many Wal Marts don't have as many employees working during those hours and my understanding from what I have heard they require those selling guns and ammo to be trained on state and federal laws.

If that is the case I agree with them as I wouldn't want someone who isn't familiar with laws and regulations just handing out ammo to anyone that wants it.

If it is because of another reason, shame on them.

Yep, I can understand your points. I just got back from lunch and Walmart, the clerk tried telling me ATF law dictates those hours???

Anyway, Walmart isnt where I usually buy ammo, but I need to break in the Glock and already had two gift cards, so the ammo was free, and good enough to put 100 rounds through for target practice on the inlaws farm:thumbsup:

Love this quote:

Walmart: A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and a chainsaw, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

That's not as bad as Illinois laws! Freakin' stupid......In the west burbs last week and decided to stop in to Bass Pro for some dinner. While waiting on a seat I decide to go over to look at some handguns. Decide to take a look at the Millenium and the clerk asks me for some card, I couldn't understand what he was saying and wondered if it was even english. Ends up he is saying foid or F.O.I.D well apparently if I don't know what it is I probably don't have one. He says I can't touch it, I told him I didn't want to buy it but just check it out. Without a FOID I can't even touch it. My co-worker says hey I have one as he reaches into his wallet and the clerk says sorry but you guys are together, can't show it to you either. I realize I just got off the plane but didn't know we landed in the Soviet Union! Then he tells me I can't be in front of the display case. So I backed up and preceded to share the wonderfully leniant laws from Ohio and here's how they compare...

To own a gun: (Chicago)Have a FOID or F you ID (Ohio)No special documentation
Purchase a gun: (Chicago) FOID and 2 week waiting period (Ohio) 15-20 minute background check. No check required on private sales

Regulations: (Chicago) 10 round magazine max capacity (Ohio)You can buy a 17 round mag all day.
CCW law: (Chicago)None allowed (Ohio)Complete training, apply to local sherrif and pay $55

I'm sure there are many others but these are a few that just blew me away. Oh and I can't buy ammo without showing a FOID or hunting license. I think if you're going to require a license you should have to prove competent first and how can you learn to shoot if you can't own a gun? I don't think he understood that posession was ruled to mean ownership not immediate control. Obama won't take your guns but you won't be able to get them just ask the Illini.:laugh:

rant over::::

Last edited:

I'm with you ever since I used some Wal Mart bought 9mm ammo during an IPSC competition. Damn steel wouldn't fall with that ammo??? That's what I get for going cheap I guess.

The Walmart selling ammo after 10 issue is b/c of the story where the teenage boy walked into the walmart at 11pm and purchased ammo, then walked out to his car and blew his head off.
Thats where most of the "night time" issues came from. I suppose they're assuming that if your purchasing ammo at night, its probably not for a legit cause. (pissed off boyfriend/girlfriend, down on his/her luck teenager)

I cant say that i disagree with it either, the responsible hunter or casual handgun user would have something like ammo purchasing already taken care of. i.e. purchase days/weeks ahead of time. I personally have never had issues purchasing ammo.

i can say amongst many things or issues that you might have with ammo, UPS and FedEx arent one of the issues. a buddy of mine purchased bulk ammo for his AK, a week later UPS drop off a huge box marked bulk ammo at his front step, he lives in an apartment complex.
But you cant buy ammo from Wallyworld.....:whistle::laugh:

this made me so mad once.. was going deerhunting the next morning. i had shot one that afternoon then reliazed i needed to get some 270ammo. so i get to walmart at 10:05 and they wouldnt sell it to me..they told me to come back at 7am. i told them i was going hunting and i would be in the woods before that. they said too bad and gave me a dirty look like i was up to no good

That's not as bad as Illinois laws! Freakin' stupid......In the west burbs last week and decided to stop in to Bass Pro for some dinner. While waiting on a seat I decide to go over to look at some handguns. Decide to take a look at the Millenium and the clerk asks me for some card, I couldn't understand what he was saying and wondered if it was even english. Ends up he is saying foid or F.O.I.D well apparently if I don't know what it is I probably don't have one. He says I can't touch it, I told him I didn't want to buy it but just check it out. Without a FOID I can't even touch it. My co-worker says hey I have one as he reaches into his wallet and the clerk says sorry but you guys are together, can't show it to you either. I realize I just got off the plane but didn't know we landed in the Soviet Union! Then he tells me I can't be in front of the display case. So I backed up and preceded to share the wonderfully leniant laws from Ohio and here's how they compare...

To own a gun: (Chicago)Have a FOID or F you ID (Ohio)No special documentation
Purchase a gun: (Chicago) FOID and 2 week waiting period (Ohio) 15-20 minute background check. No check required on private sales

Regulations: (Chicago) 10 round magazine max capacity (Ohio)You can buy a 17 round mag all day.
CCW law: (Chicago)None allowed (Ohio)Complete training, apply to local sherrif and pay $55

I'm sure there are many others but these are a few that just blew me away. Oh and I can't buy ammo without showing a FOID or hunting license. I think if you're going to require a license you should have to prove competent first and how can you learn to shoot if you can't own a gun? I don't think he understood that posession was ruled to mean ownership not immediate control. Obama won't take your guns but you won't be able to get them just ask the Illini.:laugh:

rant over::::

You ran into an idiot while at Bass Pro! I've seen plenty of people in gun shops without a F.O.I.D. card, so you can stand in front of the cases all you want. Most of the idiotic gun laws here in IL are the result of the King of Chicago aka King ****. I couldn't even look at a gun while in the Army w/o that stupid card!!! While Chicago has the highest rate of murder, IL and Wisconsin are the only two holdouts (including Puerto Rico & Alaska) on CCW laws. Daley doesn't even want retired law enforcement here the ability to carry! I can't wait for the NRA to challenge Chicago like they did in D.C. The ignorant here blame the gun manufacturers and gun shops for all the killing instead of the gang bangers who take random and wild shots killing kids on their way to school. Sorry for the rant (first post too), but you hit a sensitive spot with your post.

As for the Walmart policy, it's just as stupid as not being able to purchase alcohol after 12am.

i just went to walmart for something and they didnt even have 1 box of ammo left on the shelves it was all sold. couldnt believe it.

You ran into an idiot while at Bass Pro! I've seen plenty of people in gun shops without a F.O.I.D. card, so you can stand in front of the cases all you want. Most of the idiotic gun laws here in IL are the result of the King of Chicago aka King ****. I couldn't even look at a gun while in the Army w/o that stupid card!!! While Chicago has the highest rate of murder, IL and Wisconsin are the only two holdouts (including Puerto Rico & Alaska) on CCW laws. Daley doesn't even want retired law enforcement here the ability to carry! I can't wait for the NRA to challenge Chicago like they did in D.C. The ignorant here blame the gun manufacturers and gun shops for all the killing instead of the gang bangers who take random and wild shots killing kids on their way to school. Sorry for the rant (first post too), but you hit a sensitive spot with your post.

As for the Walmart policy, it's just as stupid as not being able to purchase alcohol after 12am.

That's pretty much what I figured. I even asked him to clarify if what he was saying was Bass Pro because if that in fact was the law it is very idiotic. Well the more I talked to him the more it became obvious there are some idiotic laws in Ilinois but I also think he was taking a few of them too far and bluring company policy with actual law. And I agree Daley is an idiot. Maybe you could answer me this, can I visit a shooting range in Aurora with co-workers and be able to shoot? Just curious. :banghead:

Back