Waffle House and minimum wage

TallTom

Registered
Not very frequently I grab a meal at a fast food choice. Today I was running errands and one of my errand wasn't there as expected. It was breakfast time, so I saw a Waffle House and that was my new plan.

Waffle House has been somewhat of a controversy in the past years as we see online about the fights breaking out. The last one I saw the staff actually jumped into it when a customer threw a chair at her.

So I didn't expect much, but the parking lot was full, and I figured if nothing else it might end up worthy of a Jerry Springer episode if I was lucky.

I walk in and was greeted with not one, but several good morning greetings. By smiling faces no less.

For those that don't know, WH is a an open kitchen cafe style set-up. You get to see the kitchen right there as they do their work. It was packed, they found me a single seat at the counter. Before I even got settled in my stool, I hear what would like to drink. I said coffee. She replied cream and sugar. I said yes do you have sweetener. Sure do and set my up before I even saw the menu. The menu was not big, nor fancy offerings, very traditional breakfast offerings.

Promptly my order was taken. The coffee was actually not bad and I was surprised at that. She cruised by re-filling it on every pass she made. Without my asking.

I counted 9 people working there. I watched. They were like bees. They all had a job, worked together and made every order fresh on the spot and just as it was ordered. It was amazing to watch the food they pumped out, the work ethic they displayed, and the positive attitudes they had towards not only the customers but to each other. It reminded me of the submarine I once did see trials on. Organized to the last detail, disciplined and efficient.

The meal was as good or better than I have had in what I'd consider a sit down (more expensive) restaurants. Nothing worthy of a Michelin review, but certainly better than the other fast food offerings.

I got the bill. $12. Holy Jesus $12? That's 2 cups of coffee in the above mentioned restaurants. I looked at it, and she said take your time do you need more coffee? There were people waiting in line for a seat so I said no you have others waiting. Paid the bill and tipped her $10. Still a bargain!

I left there thinking the following.

In this push to make $15/hr the lowest paying job rate, why on earth should somebody working at WH be paid the same as the other places that can't even spell coffee, let alone refill it? WH is far better in every category of offerings. If you want me to pay $15 by law, then please pass laws that say they have to do it as good as WH is doing it. $15/hr just to show up, is a huge slap in the face to the ones that actually come to work to do a good job and offer a good experience.

Went back to my old home for 1 1/2” weeks to visit family in South Africa. You get the best of first world and 10 miles down the road the worst of third world.

Taxi from the metro to the hotel cost me $5.00.

Exchanged $100 into local currency and after 1 1/2 weeks still had $20.00 left over.

$15 pays for breakfast for four people and generally the food is really good.

Last edited:
Not very frequently I grab a meal at a fast food choice. Today I was running errands and one of my errand wasn't there as expected. It was breakfast time, so I saw a Waffle House and that was my new plan.

Waffle House has been somewhat of a controversy in the past years as we see online about the fights breaking out. The last one I saw the staff actually jumped into it when a customer threw a chair at her.

So I didn't expect much, but the parking lot was full, and I figured if nothing else it might end up worthy of a Jerry Springer episode if I was lucky.

I walk in and was greeted with not one, but several good morning greetings. By smiling faces no less.

For those that don't know, WH is a an open kitchen cafe style set-up. You get to see the kitchen right there as they do their work. It was packed, they found me a single seat at the counter. Before I even got settled in my stool, I hear what would like to drink. I said coffee. She replied cream and sugar. I said yes do you have sweetener. Sure do and set my up before I even saw the menu. The menu was not big, nor fancy offerings, very traditional breakfast offerings.

Promptly my order was taken. The coffee was actually not bad and I was surprised at that. She cruised by re-filling it on every pass she made. Without my asking.

I counted 9 people working there. I watched. They were like bees. They all had a job, worked together and made every order fresh on the spot and just as it was ordered. It was amazing to watch the food they pumped out, the work ethic they displayed, and the positive attitudes they had towards not only the customers but to each other. It reminded me of the submarine I once did see trials on. Organized to the last detail, disciplined and efficient.

The meal was as good or better than I have had in what I'd consider a sit down (more expensive) restaurants. Nothing worthy of a Michelin review, but certainly better than the other fast food offerings.

I got the bill. $12. Holy Jesus $12? That's 2 cups of coffee in the above mentioned restaurants. I looked at it, and she said take your time do you need more coffee? There were people waiting in line for a seat so I said no you have others waiting. Paid the bill and tipped her $10. Still a bargain!

In this push to make $15/hr the lowest paying job rate, why on earth should somebody working at WH be paid the same as the other places that can't even spell coffee, let alone refill it? WH is far better in every category of offerings. If you want me to pay $15 by law, then please pass laws that say they have to do it as good as WH is doing it. $15/hr just to show up, is a huge slap in the face to the ones that actually come to work to do a good job and offer a good experience.
It certainly is the staff that make the difference, you might go to another one and have the opposite experience....

Years ago we would have a weekly coffee hour where the general would drop in for a visit and hand out with us so we'd go to our local coffee place (Tim Horton's) to get our order of usually 16 beverages and a box of donuts.....we went so far as to have an electronic list we would print out...the staff were all Pilipino ladies and they'd tear into that list like it was on fire...I didn't even get much of a chance to scratch myself and the order would be done with a smile and lots of giggling amongst themselves.....great place...

It was down for some work and we went to another Tim Horton's down the street and they were slower than molasses flowing up hill in the winter, got half the order wrong and all of their faces looked like they had just ate a very sour lemon....

Good staff make all the difference...

Ok then .....brunch of champions
.....better......

Of course I'd also eat them for breakfast....nothing like an apple fritter....

homer.jpg

Ok then .....brunch of champio

Hi. I just lived my trip to the South. I would leave Ma at 5am at about 60 mph about 18 hr later about 950 miles later stop at WH for there Chelsea eggs and Tea. I love them never could I make them at home. So every day I was there WH.

Back