voltage drain?

dsbunton646

Registered
Does anybody know if an aftermarket HID kit or a led lighting kit could cause a voltage draw when the bike and everything (including the hid, ignition, and leds) is off. It seems my battery drains pretty quick when I don't run the bike for a while. Not a problem if ride regularly or even every couple of weeks. I may have a bad battery again, but it seems like it is discharging way to fast. Yes I do keep it on a tender most of the time so it really isn't that big of an issue, but sometimes I forget or go out of town with the bike for a while and was wondering what the problem might be. Any thoughts?

do you have an alarm system? HID shouldn't draw any current when off. The same should apply to you LED's. Just check them with a meter.

Any mods are suspect but not necessarily the problem. You can get a drain from any circuit. First off grab the shop manual from here and start the troubleshooting process. Good luck my brother.

I have hid and alarm and the most my voltage seems to drop is .4 volts 12.4-12.0 this might be over a week or longer between riding.

Well, I would eliminate the HID from being a problem, it's only in the circuit when the key is on. The Alarm unit is what's causing it. The alarm requires a constant draw of current, although it's little it's enough to kill your battery over time and even more so if you have a weak battery...

thanks for the input. i suspect it is probably a weak battery and possibly the remote control unit for the leds. It's not extreme, just enough to be a little annoying.

Back