Large Current draw and no charging

Wild07

Registered
So, here's my current problem...
My bike is not charging, and I've got a pretty healthy current draw. Key off, current draw test, it pulls .8-.9 amps. Not mA, A. If I unplug the gauge cluster, it drops to zero. While it's together and running, AC voltage coming from the stator is 67-70 at 5k rpm, just like it should be. When I pull the bike off the charger and start it immediatly, it will sit at 14.5-7 volts, then slowly drop to battery voltage as it runs and runs rougher and rougher as it continues. Bringing up the RPM will slow the voltage drop, but it still drops. All my connections are clean and dry, new battery, and the bike seems to clean up when it's on a charger while it's running. There's no more than .05-.1 v drop anywhere , the stator is not shorted to ground, and doesnt appear to have any burned or hot coils in it. I have a spare regulator around somewhere, but dont know that it will help my draw from the inst. cluster. If I pull the smaller plug from the ECU it will drop the draw to zero also, so I dont want to pin the cluster right off the bat. I saw one previous post about the inst. cluster draw, and that the OP had left the stator connector unplugged.

It would help to know what the normal draw for the inst. cluster is, ~1a is really high just to keep a clock and an ODO running with the bike off. It sounds to me like either your regulator has gone south or you have a bad connection some ware preventing the stator from charging. If you can get your hands on another stator, I would swap them out to see if that is the problem. Start with the regulator because you said you have one.

Back