VIR - Bertil Roos Racing School

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Yesterday we braved the heat and humidity to watch Mike play with the Formula cars at VIR...

FIRST, what an amazing track and facility!!  WOW, I see why so many flock there...

SECOND, Bertil Roos Racing School is wonderful...great staff and trainers, amazing what they put in to the class by marking the entire track with cones to show you when to brake, cones showing the apex, markers to let you know when you should be starting your turning to make the corner.  They had instructors on every corner taking notes to help the class members when they go back to the classroom.  Mike had a blast and wants to go back, wants me to go do the class too (we'll talk about that in a bit LOL), and the kids just had a great time...

THIRD, the layout of the class, real quick...classroom time, then the students go out for many, many laps in track-ready Volvos and even one Hyundai.  Each member of the class takes a turn behind the wheel, learning the track and honing skills for hitting the apex just right...back for more classroom, then your first 20 minute session in the Formula car...it's an UNRESTRICTED car, which made Mike's day...top speed is 130 mph.  After your first session, back to the classroom (yay!  Air Conditioning!) for feedback on what you did right/wrong, then back on to the track for your last 20 minute session...kudos from the instructors, a certificate and poster and of course, the run down of what else you can do should you want more (longer classes, joining the series)...not a single guy in there wanted to leave
laugh.gif

All in all, if you think you know how to drive on a road course and haven't been on one, you don't know much LOL  I learned that when the instructors took guests on the track.  I'm strapped in the back of a Volvo with my 2 sons and honestly, fearing for my life like I've never done before.  I thought I could drive, but I see now that I don't have a clue about what you can really get a track-ready car to do in the turns.  I tried to take a video of our lap around VIR, but I turned it off because I needed to hold on, couldn't hardly breath and figured "why film my death?"  
laugh.gif

My kids were screaming with joy and wanted MORE; it's clearly obvious they don't understand fearing death in a rollover like I do
laugh.gif
 It was an experience to remember and one I'd do again...

Would Michelle partake in the Bertil Roos Racing School at VIR?  I'm not so sure...I paid to have an on board camera on Mike's car and let me tell you, it takes some balls to go from 130, HEAVY braking to make a turn at about 30 or 40, then back up to 100+.  I would love to say I have it in me, but I'm not so sure I do...

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!  www.racenow.com for details
biggrin.gif

Pics are coming...  
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Heck, here's where the pics are, and one video...makes it a lot easier...

Photos from VIR

The shot of the track bikes in the trailer were from Monday's race winner at VIR...guess they had some races there, this guy won, his girlfriend took us to look at the bikes...her boyfriend, usually just on 2 wheels, was taking the class with Mike.  Turns out they were the two most competitive guys on the track LOL

Looks like everyone had fun!

Now, get Mike on a sportbike and have him take a class out there!
biggrin.gif

(omslaw @ Jun. 27 2007,10:58) Looks like everyone had fun!

biggrin.gif
YEAH!!! You don't want him getting another ticket for trying to ride with Sportbikes while on a Harley, do ya?
rock.gif

(yamahor @ Jun. 27 2007,11:00)

biggrin.gif
YEAH!!! You don't want him getting another ticket for trying to ride with Sportbikes while on a Harley, do ya?  
rock.gif
Don't want him getting ANY more tickets in VA with those new laws
crazy.gif

(VaBusa @ Jun. 27 2007,11:03)
(yamahor @ Jun. 27 2007,11:00)

biggrin.gif
rock.gif
Don't want him getting ANY more tickets in VA with those new laws  
crazy.gif
I don't blame ya... I'm honestly deciding if I'm gonna move when I graduate...
crazy.gif
Original plan was top stick around with family and friends for a couplefew years...

crazy.gif

VaBs,
I appreciate that you don't know if you have it in you to do something like this, but then - it wasn't that long ago that you didn't have it in you to ride the Dragon.

I am just sayin'.

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 27 2007,15:09) VaBs,
I appreciate that you don't know if you have it in you to do something like this, but then - it wasn't that long ago that you didn't have it in you to ride the Dragon.

I am just sayin'.
And you can run the 1st two sessions in "Intro" with NESBA for FREE!

(vman1300 @ Jun. 27 2007,15:04) Was that the South loop?

I will be back at VIR with NESBA Aug 25th....hint hint......
Yeah, it was Kevin...they'd had motorcycle races on the North track the day before; wished I'd known and been able to go see 'em...

I know, I know...track day...I'm intimidated!!!
tounge.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Jun. 27 2007,15:09) VaBs,

I am just sayin'.
I just rode the Dragon though...I didn't RIDE it, you know...

I'd be that really slow gal in the class while guys whizzed past and made me feel silly...watching Mike's on board camera was an eye opener, and I'm still not over the trip around the track in the Volvo!
eek2.gif
Just no words
laugh.gif

(VaBusa @ Jun. 27 2007,15:32) I know, I know...track day...I'm intimidated!!!  
tounge.gif
No need to be. You ride just fine and do one trackday and your skill level will multiply faster than rabbits.

I will be there on Saturday and I will be more than happy to get a CR fried of mine to help ya out.

It was an amazing facility BigDawg!!! Highly recommended on any type of vehicle!!! 4 wheels, 2...don't think it matters, it's all fun!

Back