Video editing: Xeon or Pentium 4?

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
So I am looking at putting together a better computer for editing video. My options are:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ 1GB ram

Dual Xeon 2.4GHZ processors 1GB ram

I am sure I will be adding ram, but my main question is what are the comparisons between the Xeon and the Pentium 4?

I have been researching and researching and it almost seems like the basic single core Xeon isn’t much different than a Pentium 4

On the other hand I have heard Xeon processors are better for graphics / video than a regular Pentium 4

My system that has the Xeon has two slots so I can add a second Xeon processor so I can build it up to 2 Xeon 2.4GHZ with 2 GB ram

Where as my current system I have been using for multimedia is a single 3.0GHZ

Anyone have any input or advice for which system would work better for editing videos and graphics?

Umm, what about a modern processor? Something in a Dual or Quad core?

Prices have really come down and I built a Major powerhouse just a few months ago and it was relatively inexpensive. Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad Much more powerful and flexible.

I built a 3.6Ghz Quad Core, 8 Gigs DDR3, 2 Gig Video Card, and 1.7Terebytes of HD Space.

ALl that came in right around $2K... But you could do nearly the same 2.8Ghz Quad, 4 Gigs DDR2 memory, 1Gig Video, and 750Gigs for about $1k or less. Probably much less with the new i7 Architecture out.

Just a thought... I had a great time building from scratch though.

Xeon way better of a chip :cheerleader: but i have a over clocked 2.5 X2 AMD with 2gigs ram 2.7TB hard drive space and dam near full

Last edited:
my bud has a dual quad 2.6ghz Xeon and his rapes my over clocked to 3.0 or more dual core bad. but i did have a old school Xeon in the day :drool: i just did not have the money for a quad Xeon

Last edited:
just saw this at new egg
Intel Xeon E7450 Dunnington 2.4GHz 3 x 3MB shared L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket 604 90W 6-Core Server Processor :drool::drool::banana: $2399 :sadlike:

Last edited:
Just built one myself for right at $1k, Quad core AMD BE9950, 4g ram, GT9800 Video card, and Asus board (SLI), 320 gb HD. Oh, even got a 21" wide screen for that price...

Not sure about your original question as this was my first build :-)

Prices are really good right now for just about anything electronic :cheerleader:

I think you are missing a key component - Graphics Card

A powerful graphics card makes a world of different in rendering graphics on a PC

Do not cut yourself short here and do some research as there is lots out there on graphics card comparisions including the type of graphics software you will be using

Some graphics software programs take better advantage of the new features in the graphic cards than others

On thing that's killing me with the PC I built... With Windows Vista Ultimate installed, No other programs running, 8 Gigs of ram... Windows itself eats about 19% of it.

Yup, a Full 2 Gigs of ram gobbled up by an OS and services... Bummer.

So I am looking at putting together a better computer for editing video. My options are:

Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ 1GB ram

Dual Xeon 2.4GHZ processors 1GB ram

I am sure I will be adding ram, but my main question is what are the comparisons between the Xeon and the Pentium 4?

I have been researching and researching and it almost seems like the basic single core Xeon isn’t much different than a Pentium 4

On the other hand I have heard Xeon processors are better for graphics / video than a regular Pentium 4

My system that has the Xeon has two slots so I can add a second Xeon processor so I can build it up to 2 Xeon 2.4GHZ with 2 GB ram

Where as my current system I have been using for multimedia is a single 3.0GHZ

Anyone have any input or advice for which system would work better for editing videos and graphics?
I do not know which will work better but I do have a twin xenon 3.0Ghz with 8G of ram I can benchmark for you if you like..

I also have a Quadcore Phenom that seems to run extremely well and is a heck of a lot cheaper than any of the Pentium offerings..

I would bet it boils down to the software itself.. some of this stuff can not take advantage of the multi core CPU's and actually run better on the older single core systems..

Now the rub is that MAC is supposed to put the hurt on all of these..

Back