Calling all computer geeks. A little help please.

OUTLAW1300

Registered
I have a older computer and would like to up grade parts to make it last a few more years. Mom will be using it so it’s just for net surfing and office stuff. Already bought Ram and maxed it out on this motherboard (2GB).

I been reading a lot about CPUs on google so… Bought a CPU on eBay and it turns out my board doesn’t support it! It was the right socket and all but I found out afterwords my board doesn’t support Prescott... Don’t even know what that means… 15 bucks wasted :banghead:

This is the good working CPU installed now: Intel Pentium4 2.4GHz/512/533

Can I get some help ordering a new CPU off eBay? One that will work. Kinda scared to order another one and don't know any1 good with computers. Will one of these CPUs work for the board?

Intel P4 3ghz socket 478 cpu 3.00ghz/512/800 SL6WU - eBay (item 320678524728 end time Apr-06-11 10:27:16 PDT)

3GHz PENTIUM 4 CPU, SL6WK, 3.0GHz/512/800, SOCKET 478 - eBay (item 330535289767 end time Apr-26-11 09:40:27 PDT)

Here is my board specs...

845PEMaxSpecs.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help yall. Anybody wanna race?

In all honesty you should save up a few bucks and buy a PC for about $300-400. It will be night and day difference compared to what you currently using. What you trying to do is update an outdated PC with outdated parts.

hmmmm....from looking at those no neither will fit....your board was pretty much designed for whats in it....thats was the bad thing about the celeron chips...

let me ask you whats your goal with this pc? you said net and pics and email mainly? why are you looking to change it? Has it gotten slow or what?
here is a couple ideas for you if its slow...

1. go to start click and type this in msconfig

2. once this loads a new menu pops up go to the start up tab select it then go to the bottom and select disable all. This will make the computer boot way faster. And it kills a lot of background programs that dont need to run.

3. next if you are using macafee antivirus or nortons get rid of them
they are junk and slow your pc way down. Go to microsofts website and download security essentials and use it...way faster and more efficient.

4. finally i suggest microsofts malicious removal program. very fast and efficiant spyware killer and spam killer. I use the personally and i have an older computer as well running on xp pro.

5. dont forget to defrag your drives every now and then. this helps to keep program data together and were it belongs makes pc more efficient.

6. finally if all that doesnt help look at a faster memory chips. Your board will support up to 333. make sure you have 333 in there and not 220 or 200. makes a big difference.

7. a bigger graphics board wiht onboard memory will help to as this will keep the graphics from robbing memory as well.

8 dont foget to clean up cookies and history etc often...to much of that and you puter will be slower then roadkill especially on the net...

9.Last but not least if all that fails....get a netbook....i just bought a toshiba with 140 gig hard drive and wireless built in and its awesome for email web surfing etc. I never use the home pc anymore....price range from 200-500 for a super one.

good luck let me know if i can help more?

Just like to throw this at you......... save your money and in the meantime go to Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu an download a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 in the 32 bit format for your application and give this awsome software a try. You can run it 1st without installing and see if all your PC will run it. Much faster then Winders and safe and secure. Comes with a fully compatabile office suite and you will like it and it's free. this will make you feel like you have a new PC. Give it a try!

Correcto Mundo...
Neither CPU's your looking at will be supported. Your motherboard only supports a 533 bus. thats why your "known" working CPU works..i.e.. 2.4Ghz/512/533. The bus on the two CPU's listed from eBay have a designed 800 bus. For what your looking at doing w/ this computer, the CPU you have in it now is sufficient. You could step it up slightly to a 2.8Ghz/512/533 but why? You can also go up on your CACHE memory too when getting another CPU (if desired) so long as your bus speed does not exceed your motherboards max of 533. CPU CACHE memory is denoted by your second set of numbers. i.e... 2.4GHZ/512/533.
I tend to agree w/ Viper on everything stated outside of ditching your Norton / Spyware software. Especially on Internet usage, and being that it will be for your mom... parents tend to click stuff just to get rid of it or close it out not knowning the nature of the message. (no offense intended) Updates are constantly being made to "known" reported malicous apps daily. I run w/ Norton myself (free through my internet provider) I will sacrafice the resources it takes to keep me CONSTANTLY protected against current threats. And if I'm working on data sheets or something that requires "more speed"/resources, it can easily be disabled for a period of time.
Good luck to ya.

Cab try the stuff Viper suggested and if that don't work,read on...

Pretty much entry level stuff,but fine for your basic needs.

PC example...

eMachines Desktop PC with Monitor - Walmart.com

Laptop example...

Toshiba Black 15.6" Laptop PC - Walmart.com

Laptops can be found cheaper,but usually end up with much smaller viewing screen,less Memory,etc... Laptops usually have a shorter lifespan then a traditional PC. It's the trade-off for have a portal PC.

Yea, what is your goal with the computer and what exactly do you want to do, whats your price range?

I have a couple laptops lying around myself im not doing anything with

Great advice from everyone above. Any money you spend will just get you another year of use, and then you'll be wanting to upgrade again. I'd say just keep using what you've got as it is until you save up enough for a new notebook/laptop/desktop. You can find a nice Windows 7 desktop for $4-500 that will easilly get you through another 5 or 6 years.

I was in the same situation you were with my Dell Dimension 8100...it was a decade old, but I had upgraded everything in it over the years to keep it going (cpu, psu, ram, video & sound cards...). Last November, I went to the local computer store looking to max out the ram (rambus type) and also upgrade to Windows 7...We talked about it and for a few hundred $ more, I could have a brand new one. So I got a new one and it's amazing!!

The point that the guy said that I remember is that "you dont know what you're missing". Tons of new features & shortcuts, and it's soooooo fast. Trust me, you wouldn't believe the differences between a new $800 computer in 2005, and a new $800 computer in 2011.

Skip the headaches involved with upgrading parts, just get a new one:beerchug:

in all honesty you should save up a few bucks and buy a pc for about $300-400. It will be night and day difference compared to what you currently using. What you trying to do is update an outdated pc with outdated parts.

+10000

My mom uses this computer for work. She runs Photoshop CS5 and Dreamweaver CS5 and complains that these programs in particular run way too slow. When I upgraded the ram it runs a little bit more smoother but mom is still not happy with it. I don't have any money to spend on a new PC because I just bought a high end gaming rig for myself. Maybe these programs require a lot to run? I guess I'll tell her what you guys are saying, buy a new computer LOL.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :beerchug:

Oh I have already tried everything that VIPER stated above except #7 & 9. Those computers from Wal-Mart I will def look into.

those programs she is trying to run use a lot of graphics type memory....i would maybe check craigslist for a good graphics card with at least 512 built it and see what that does for you. then if that doesnt work you will need to peek at a new pc i bet.

Yeah... photoshop and dreamweaver are somewhat intensive on the CPU. It has already been stated that you cannot do anything more with the laptop. If it was me, I would tell her to tough it out until i got the money for a midline laptop.

I have a ECS Elitegroup P45P-A V1.1 motherboard that should support the chips you have.

It is new in box and has never been opened. I got it from FRY's a while back. You can have it if you want. Just pay shipping. Its just sitting here collecting dust.

Here are some specs on it...
ECS Web Site

If you upgrade the BIOS on it you should even be able to put a Core2duo in it if you wanted.

And here is the what I have...

2011-04-04 12.15.44.jpg

I will echo that spending a few hundred bucks will be more worthwhile in the long run. Next weekend I'll be helping my mom pick out a new system instead of upgrading her existing - and I work with computer hardware for a living and maintain all my personal. New system prices are just so low these days that upgrading an system that is falling behind significantly simply makes less and less financial sense.

Places to shop:

Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!
By far my favorite local store. Wall to wall with EVERYTHING computers! Woohoo! THey have stores around the country, so see if they have one near you. :)

TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components, Netbooks & Electronics
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, HDTV, Electronics and Cameras!
Both great vendors, internet only, I believe. Exellent experience with them in the past.

Anti-virus/Security Solution: ESET
ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection
Found this at MicroCenter a few years ago. Fair pricing, solid performance, well rated and, best of all, I NEVER NOTICE IT RUNNING! :) In other words, it doesn't sap my systems resources/slow everything else down just to do it's job, unlike my experience with Symantec, Norton and many others! Wooohoooo!

OS: Windows 7!!!! Anything else is just silly. Windows 7 is the best/most stable OS since XP. 95 was a beta, 98 was "extended" testing, NT was better but needed work, XP was better yet, Vista was TRASH!, and now Windows 7 is the best yet. No reason to mess around with other OS's right now, unless you enjoy the off-the-beaten-path sorta thing.

Best of luck!

Back