Valve Adjustment

cipher5791

Registered
I was wondering if and when does the Busa need a valve adjustment. Mine is a 02. I have no manual to go by being as the fact that my bike is a rebuild. I am not even sure on the mileage because we had to replace the guages. The title had 3500 miles on it and the bike was purchased from a guy who sales wrecked bikes. The bike had no front end at all and the harness was cut completely off from the fuse box so I am sure that it was not in running condition since it was wrecked. I have since put about 4000 miles on it myself since we got it up and running. I overheard a conversation about this yesterday and I said that I would ask the board cause I know the people here are knowledgable.:bowdown:

:please:

i believe the 15,000 mile service includes checking the valves per the manual. Do a search. this was a topic recently discussed and there was good information

If it starts hard and has alot of miles on it chances are the valves are tight and need an adjustment. I would check for intake leaks plugs ect. to make sure there is not another problem first as valve adjustments are a pain in the mud cutter.

Lots of old geezers out there that never go to the doc either, they're still alive. Just because you haven't, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Valves are overrated. 2 strokes don't miss'em :laugh: hell most of the guys I know never check the valves on any of their bikes...never had any probs yet. Ride the hell out of it and let the next owner worry about the valves :thumbsup:

Flame on, I put over 35K on an '06 and never messed with the valves.

Good to know. I'm at 31000 miles (51000km) now and never had it checked. One mechanic listed to it and thought it sounded ok too. I wonder how long these engines will go for without an adjustment.

In theory you should not have to adjust them, check them but not adjust them. That is one reason for the variance in specifications. The reason you would have to adjust is if the valve stem wore, the cam/s wore down or the lash caps and shims wear. But the chances are greater for the valve stem to mushroom or chip away versus any of the other happening.
Hope this helps.

Back