Vacation to Australia!

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
I know we have a couple members who are from Australia and more than a few that have been there. My girlfriend and I are planning a vacation there from March 15th to March 30th of this year and wanted to get some more ideas of things to do. We are flying into Sydney and spending two nights there. Currently we are planning to climb the big bridge there, sorry forgot name, and some other site seeing things. We then head to Port Douglas where we spend 3 nights in a rented condo. I think this is where we are going to go see the great barrier reef from. Then after this we are headed to Melbourne where my girlfriend's brother lives for 6 nights before flying back to Hawaii for a couple days.

So what are some most see/do things in Australia? Any thing to stay away from? I'm looking more for the not tourist things to do and see if possible also. Any local customs we need to be aware of? Is it worth getting a driving cert and renting a car at all? It seems like all these places have really good public transportation systems.

Thanks for any and all advice. :beerchug:

Any thing to stay away from? Crocs, snakes and spiders:laugh:

Have a great time man, Ive always wanted to go there.:thumbsup:

Ok cut with the spider jokes just cause we have more here than most countries they really are no problem.:laugh: Nick you have picked a good time to head to Port Douglas I just spent Christmas up there in Cairns and 1 night in Port Douglas also 1 over night stay on Green Island. The weather in March is still quite warm but not as hot as Dec. Jan Feb. You will be able to take a trip to the Great Barrier Reef form Port Douglas many tours leave from there so do some research. If you hire a car in cairns you can drive to Port Douglas along the very scenic road along the coast that will take you under an hour with a couple of stops to take pics. 1 recommendation is to travel north of Port Douglas to the Daintree ( Daintree Info.com - Daintree Accommodation, Activities & Info) it is one of the most beautiful parts of the far north and you can drive and normal car to this point then to travel further you will need a 4 wheel drive. Sydney is are busiest City and you will be climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, this will take up part of one of your days , I like to wonder around the Rocks area it is the first established part of Sydney in the 1800's and is where the Sydney Opera House is. Your friends in Melbourne will no doubt have some things for you to do but do Suggest a trip along the Great Ocean Road (Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia) i love Melbourne. If you have any questions feel free to pm I will be happy to help you:thumbsup:

Ok cut with the spider jokes just cause we have more here than most countries they really are no problem.:laugh: Nick you have picked a good time to head to Port Douglas I just spent Christmas up there in Cairns and 1 night in Port Douglas also 1 over night stay on Green Island. The weather in March is still quite warm but not as hot as Dec. Jan Feb. You will be able to take a trip to the Great Barrier Reef form Port Douglas many tours leave from there so do some research. If you hire a car in cairns you can drive to Port Douglas along the very scenic road along the coast that will take you under an hour with a couple of stops to take pics. 1 recommendation is to travel north of Port Douglas to the Daintree ( Daintree Info.com - Daintree Accommodation, Activities & Info) it is one of the most beautiful parts of the far north and you can drive and normal car to this point then to travel further you will need a 4 wheel drive. Sydney is are busiest City and you will be climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge, this will take up part of one of your days , I like to wonder around the Rocks area it is the first established part of Sydney in the 1800's and is where the Sydney Opera House is. Your friends in Melbourne will no doubt have some things for you to do but do Suggest a trip along the Great Ocean Road (Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Australia) i love Melbourne. If you have any questions feel free to pm I will be happy to help you:thumbsup:

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for :thumbsup:

Mate I see you are in Anchorage I will be there in June taking a cruise for 7 nights then staying at Denali for 2 nights then back to Anchorage for 1 before flying to Seatle to start a road trip down the West Coast.:thumbsup:

Excellent timing on this thread. I am being told I am going to either Sydney or Melbourne for work later this month. I think its just working out the work visa stuff now. Excellent info and if you guys dont mind I might reach out for more info when I know more specifics about my trip.

I'm in Sydney! How many days are you staying here? How many of you are coming? Where are you staying?
Let me know dates for the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb and I'll make sure I have the day off work so I can drive you around for the day.
I should be able to at least arrange picking you up and dropping you off at the airport as well.

DO get an International Licence. You'll need it if you're going to rent a car anywhere.
DON'T worry too mcuh about anything. It's really not that different to the USA. I lived in the States for 10 months and, seriously, it is very similar!

We drive on the left side of the road
Steering wheel is on the right side of the car, so if you get in a cab, remember, get in the left side!
Winter is between June and August
We tend to talk quickly and you may have to ask us to say things twice
Most people are relaxed and polite. Sydney (about 5 million people) is the biggest, noisiest, most congested, nastiest city, so most likely to be stressed and rude, but even here most people are great.

If you like, email me: (pan at sydneypsychology dot com dot au) :thumbsup:

I know we have a couple members who are from Australia and more than a few that have been there. My girlfriend and I are planning a vacation there from March 15th to March 30th of this year and wanted to get some more ideas of things to do. We are flying into Sydney and spending two nights there. Currently we are planning to climb the big bridge there, sorry forgot name, and some other site seeing things. We then head to Port Douglas where we spend 3 nights in a rented condo. I think this is where we are going to go see the great barrier reef from. Then after this we are headed to Melbourne where my girlfriend's brother lives for 6 nights before flying back to Hawaii for a couple days.

So what are some most see/do things in Australia? Any thing to stay away from? I'm looking more for the not tourist things to do and see if possible also. Any local customs we need to be aware of? Is it worth getting a driving cert and renting a car at all? It seems like all these places have really good public transportation systems.

Thanks for any and all advice. :beerchug:

I'm jealous!! I'd love to go to Australia.

Mate I see you are in Anchorage I will be there in June taking a cruise for 7 nights then staying at Denali for 2 nights then back to Anchorage for 1 before flying to Seatle to start a road trip down the West Coast.:thumbsup:

That's awesome! Are you taking the train back from Denali to Anchorage? What are you doing in Denali? I go there a few times a year and love it. So much to do and see. What are your plans for Anchorage? Let me know if you need any recommendations or I will be glad to show you around. I work for Alaska Railroad which will most likely be your form of transportation. Let me know if you need anything with that also. :beerchug:

I'm in Sydney! How many days are you staying here? How many of you are coming? Where are you staying?
Let me know dates for the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb and I'll make sure I have the day off work so I can drive you around for the day.
I should be able to at least arrange picking you up and dropping you off at the airport as well.

DO get an International Licence. You'll need it if you're going to rent a car anywhere.
DON'T worry too mcuh about anything. It's really not that different to the USA. I lived in the States for 10 months and, seriously, it is very similar!

We drive on the left side of the road
Steering wheel is on the right side of the car, so if you get in a cab, remember, get in the left side!
Winter is between June and August
We tend to talk quickly and you may have to ask us to say things twice
Most people are relaxed and polite. Sydney (about 5 million people) is the biggest, noisiest, most congested, nastiest city, so most likely to be stressed and rude, but even here most people are great.

If you like, email me: (pan at sydneypsychology dot com dot au) :thumbsup:

That's so nice of you and thanks! We are finalizing a lot of the plans this week so as soon as I know everything for sure I will let you know. :beerchug: If anything it would be awesome to meet a fellow busa brother.

I'll go ahead and get the license then. It will be nice to be able to rent a car if needed.

Can't wait!

No worries Brian I am in Brisbane but know both Sydney and Melbourne pretty well.:thumbsup:

Awesome thanks! I'm hearing its likely Melbourne but they said two sites in Victoria so who knows :) I'm hoping to know more soon ... any places to rent bikes there? Could be we are all down there at the same time, we could have a mini busa bash :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tons of stuff to do.. Head into the outback, somewhere along the long unpaved roads that the lorry drivers frequent. You might even be able to set up a cross Australia ride along. The you hit the pubs and get into a fistfight or two just for the fun of it to see who gets knocked down first. The guy that helps you up buys the beer mate and then you are friends for life.

That's awesome! Are you taking the train back from Denali to Anchorage? What are you doing in Denali? I go there a few times a year and love it. So much to do and see. What are your plans for Anchorage? Let me know if you need any recommendations or I will be glad to show you around. I work for Alaska Railroad which will most likely be your form of transportation. Let me know if you need anything with that also. :beerchug:

We have hired a car, after the cruise we are staying at Best Western Wasilla 31st May then off to Carlo Creek Lodge Denali for 2 nights and just wonder around and see what trouble we can get into:laugh: back to Anchorage 3rd June staying at either the Golden Lion or the Ramada. Would be great to catch up I am meeting Do3 in Vegas and Bubba in LA so the more I meet along the way the more faces I can put to names.:beerchug:

We have hired a car, after the cruise we are staying at Best Western Wasilla 31st May then off to Carlo Creek Lodge Denali for 2 nights and just wonder around and see what trouble we can get into:laugh: back to Anchorage 3rd June staying at either the Golden Lion or the Ramada. Would be great to catch up I am meeting Do3 in Vegas and Bubba in LA so the more I meet along the way the more faces I can put to names.:beerchug:

Sounds like a lot of fun. You can get into a lot of trouble with all the bears and moose here. :laugh: Is the cruise dropping you off in Seward or Whittier? You'll have some beautiful scenery from either location so make sure you bring your camera. :thumbsup: I'll look forward to meeting you in Anchorage. :beerchug:

Disembark in Seward and taking 4 1/2 hour private tour to Anchorage - "Seward to Anchorage Wildlife Tour" will be great to catch up.:beerchug:

The Seward Highway that you'll be taking on the tour is rated the most scenic drive in America I believe. You'll see lots of wild life, waterfalls and mirror lakes everywhere. :beerchug:

Back