Vacation to Australia!

Dag nab it Nick!
I am such a bonehead! I was there in August and did not hook up with you! :banghead:
My friends live on the Kasilof River and he has a Drift boat that he took us out for a 6 hr run down the river. I saw a new Busa on my last day that was heading toward Soldotna. On the last days of our visit we ran across three bears in the confluence.

When Mitch gets there be sure to get together with him. I am arranging a meeting up with him in SoCal after he visits you.
The Seward road is nice and if you have the chance, visit Whittier and do the Glacier run!
Here is a shot of 2 of the 3 bears we saw on the Russian river. I have tons of shots of them on the river!

IMG_5192.jpg

I can't believe you were here and I didn't know about it!!! :laugh:

There are four glaciers outside of Whittier and they are all wonderful:

-group%201--img_4525_img_4554-30%20images.jpg

You can see the rest of the album at Alaska Vacation 2012 if you want. I love Alaska's wildlife and I'm jealous you have a picture of a bear and I don't. I ran across a few of them when hiking but I always seem to pull out my shotgun and not my camera for some reason... :laugh: There's a photography bear tour that I will probably take this summer though so I will hopefully have some bear pictures soon.

Glad to hear from you again and I hope you and Mitch have a great time in SoCal!

You'll also see a lot of these when in Whittier:

u4100.jpg

You have set the scene Nick looks like I will need to be on my game with the camera:thumbsup: The wife asked about the train tours are they better than us driving around at our own pace taking into account that we have restrictions as to where we can drive.

Well, I'm a little bias, I work for Alaska Railroad. :) So I love the train trips. They are stress free. You have lots of room to walk around and nice vestibules to stand in to photogragh and get fresh air. Plus, you can buy beer and other alcohol on the train. Here are some photos that I took from the train:

Day 3 - To Denali and Day 5 - To Anchorage

Most of those pictures were taken on the train. Also note that one of the cars you'll have access to will have a 360 degree viewing room where you can sit for as long as you want typically. :thumbsup:

The road follows the train track 90 percent of the time and the times the road separates from the train tracks it ends up being more scenic on the train than on the road.

If you're interested at all in a train trip let me know because I'm pretty sure I can get you 50% off the listed price. Basically buy one get one free. :beerchug:

Back