Vacation Suggestions?

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
Due to factors out of our control, it's been a couple years since we've gone on a "family" vacation. We have 3 kids living at home but only the youngest is still in high school. So, honestly, I'm thinking of just taking him.

I'm looking for suggestions that fit these criteria:

1. Prefer to use AA miles to get there or reasonable drive from the Dallas area.
2. No theme parks or huge crowds. Our son has a mild form of autism and crowds make him nervous. Besides, Dan doesn't like theme parks.
3. Prefer a camping/outdoor type of thing. Dan loves to fish (I think he'd prefer fly fishing this time) and our son and I enjoy hiking, bicycling, nature stuff.
4. Beach would be okay, as long as there is a fishing option.
5. Our son has mentioned that he hasn't stayed in a hotel in a while and that it would be fun to do it again. Cabins would be okay, but I'd like a hotel option, too.
6. Considering the economic climate at the moment, price is kinda important.

I've done some Googling, but there's so much stuff out there, it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks!

Diana, we are going to Durango this year and doing the Colorado thing. Dan could fly fish, David could enjoy a ride on the train to Silverton, no big crowds, and we want to check out the Mesa Verde National Park. Good luck on your decision! :beerchug:

Ok,,, you want to fish, you want the beach, you want hotels,, I can get you all that with a GIANT extra.. You get to meet me lol.. Come to Charleston SC.. Very historic city, we have carriage rides, ghost walks, best food in the south, miles of beaches, all the fishing you can stand, oh did I mention I am here?

Come to Eureka Springs, AR for the Meet and Greet. :) Haul out the bikes and ride with some friends over the weekend, stay a few days extra and enjoy the lake, historic areas and the nice people.

Eureka Springs, The Extraordinary Escape

P.S. don't go shopping on the weekends. IT is crowded and crazy!!! :whistle:

Diana, we are going to Durango this year and doing the Colorado thing. Dan could fly fish, David could enjoy a ride on the train to Silverton, no big crowds, and we want to check out the Mesa Verde National Park. Good luck on your decision! :beerchug:
That is a great ride up the Silverton (just wear goggles if you stick your head out the window :) )

Yellowstone is another great place (they are usually pretty booked up however) You can stay at one of the hotels or book camping sites but getting in is a pain some times..

Diana this might pretty cool ya'll could go to the Palo Duro Canyon. If you have never been it is pretty cool not to mention there are a few other cool things to see while up in that area. When Kristin and I lived in Amarillo, TX we would take the occaisonal trip to the canyon just because it was pretty cool to hike around the canyon. There is allot of wild life in the canyon as well.

Come visit the white sandy beaches of Gulf Shores/ Orange Beach Alabama. We have plenty of fishing around here. You can also take a Dolphin tour and there is a ferry you can ride. Oh, Not to mention Fort Morgan. If your son likes Planes you can visit National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, Awesome Place...been there a couple of times We also have the USS Alabama Battle ship....another cool place to visit.
Here are a couple of links you might be interested in.

Gulf Shores Alabama - Orange Beach - Alabama Gulf Coast Vacations
Alabama State Parks
National Naval Aviation Museum - Welcome Main Page

Perdido Pass2.jpg

That is a great ride up the Silverton (just wear goggles if you stick your head out the window :) )

Yellowstone is another great place (they are usually pretty booked up however) You can stay at one of the hotels or book camping sites but getting in is a pain some times..

I thought of Yellowstone, we went several years ago. I was thinking of Glacier since it's less crowded and (imo) prettier. But since I grew up in Montana, it might be too close to relatives. :whistle: We could sneak, though.

I thought of Yellowstone, we went several years ago. I was thinking of Glacier since it's less crowded and (imo) prettier. But since I grew up in Montana, it might be too close to relatives. :whistle: We could sneak, though.
well there are always all the hot springs joints you would know about, Black hills etc in that neck of the woods. :) I really liked Cody Wyoming myself but I am an Arizona guy and the history was fun.. you could make a 30 day vacation in the 2 or 3 states there is so much to do..

I know it might be a bit crowded but never saw a kid that did not go WOW over Mount Rushmore :)

I second the Colorado trip by twoton....but if that fails I would like to suggest the Grand Canyon for a trip of a lifetime. Camp at the South Rim one day and then descend into the canyon to camp the next few days. There are trails galore at the bottom along with gorgeous scenery and tons of adventure to be had. Sure you have to hike a mountain reverse...but hey, it's a once in a lifetime adventure.

I would suggest checking out the Missouri Ozarks. Great scenery, fishing opportunities, outdoor activities etc. Cost is affordable as well and the drive won't be terribly long. Options would range from condos and hotels down to small cabins depending upon your style. I also know of one area that is very low key where the trout fishing is excellent. If interested hit me up

Explore th Mayan ruins in Belize. English language, second largest barrier reef on earth, cultural sites...

South Padre Island, bay / surf fishing / deep sea fishing all available. Off season so prices are low. 10 hour drive from Dallas, or fly into Harlingen & rent a car.

look into Siest Key, FL. BEAUTIFUL place with all kinds of great stuff. Deap sea fishing, great restraunts, not too many people. I went there once and cannot wait to get back.

South Padre Island, bay / surf fishing / deep sea fishing all available. Off season so prices are low. 10 hour drive from Dallas, or fly into Harlingen & rent a car.

We lived on the Island for 2.5 years - we know it well. Dan grew up in McAllen - 70 miles away.

Back