American Vacation "Customs" Suck

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
Pretty much everything else here kicks butt, however...Americans need to get over it an learn how to relax. Most other industrialized nations mandate 3 weeks off for everyone...and some, get 6 weeks...and they're just as productive as we are.

Many Europeans take 2-3 week vacations every year. And more than half of all Americans don't use all of their meesly 2 weeks/year.

I just started with a new company and I really like my job, but being a newbie, I get 10 days/year of vacation until after my 4th anniversary. I was at my last company for almost 13 years and got 24 days/year....and I used every last one of them. Wtih only 2 weeks, I don't know how I'm going squeeze in 1 Bash (much less 2), a trip to Eureka, time at the holidays, Spring Break next year and sports tournaments that my son is in. That doesn't even include a Friday here and there to go camping or on a long weekend ride.

Americans need to start demanding their time off. Bosses need to let their employees take time off. Unless you own your own business, your company isn't going to close if you take a real vacation. We're all so afraid of admitting that we enjoy not being at work; admitting that work isn't our lives. I enjoy my job, but my job isn't my life, my family is my life.

Come on, it's time we start working to live and not living to work.

Okay, rant over.

work is ok but vacation is so much better! i couldn't make it without my time off to go hang with my friends!! :beerchug:

Europeans now have jobs that pay them more and allow for these kinds of things.
I can't tell you how many Scandinavians and Germans come to south Florida for vacation and buy cars to export back home. The euro is very strong now, they can afford it.

Some of us can't :(

I agree 110%!!!

And I want naps!!! :laugh:

We work to live...shouldn't live to work...

Personally, I am grateful that I am still employed. The economy is still in a slump and many are still struggling (laid off, unemployed, etc.). Maybe when times get better

Maybe you can negotiate some unpaid leave. I understand though. I'm up to 26 days, I'm not sure I could go back to 10.

I agree 110%!!!

Hell yes, I know in Spain they take I think a two hour break for lunch. I was confused when all of the stores were closes at noon.

Dad lives in Cyprus. Can't get or do anything from 12-3 daily as all places pretty much shut down. Early morn or late at night is when all is open. And forget Wednesdays and forget Sundays and forget Monday morning before 11. Geesh it's miracle anything gets done on the island but it's nice to visit :)

We get 4 weeks annual leave plus 8 days rostered days off to take during the year when we need a day off. We can also claim up to 6 six days sick per year with a doctors certificate this can be accrued and carried over to the next year which was handy recently when I took 6 weeks leave from my off as I have been with the same company over 20 years and very rarely claim a sick day. After 10 years you are able to take long service leave which is 12 weeks leave with pay, I still have this up my sleeve to take when I can sort out when I might need it.:thumbsup:

Personally, I am grateful that I am still employed. The economy is still in a slump and many are still struggling (laid off, unemployed, etc.). Maybe when times get better

I understand and agree, however, this is the attitude that keeps Americans so over worked. We were all excited that we could take unpaid time off to care for a new baby or seriously ill family members and not get fired. There are companies that don't give paid maternity leave.

Don't get me wrong, employees need to be accountable and work for the money they're paid, 40 hrs should be 40 hrs not 30 or 39. But that goes for employers too...40 hrs means 40 hrs not 70. And, let's face it, lots of us are huge assets for our companies.

My last job came with 5 weeks of annual leave, 13 sick days (which could be rolled over into the next financial year), a rostered week off every 8th week, a week of long-service leave for every year of employment, and the ability to trade a weekend's work for Monday-Friday shifts. My best year there I made $120,000 and had 14 weeks off.

I think it is criminal that Americans generally only get 2 weeks of leave.
On the other hand, I suppose that would give people more incentive to start their own businesses, which isn't a bad thing.

I enjoy my 4 weeks plus my two weeks at christmas. i also make sure i do my part to up the average and throw in atleast an extra week in sick days. What I would like to see is a shorter work week. Seems the norm in Canada is 40 hrs or more. Like to see it go the way of some europians and go down to 32hrs. If I am not mistaken in Britain your vacation goes with you to every comapny you go to thats if your lucky to find a job over there.

umm...whats a 'vacation'?

i come in early(30-45 min), leave late(15-30 min), work thru lunch (take 15 min when supposed to be an hour), been with my co. for a little over 2 yrs and get 10 days off (with approval) a year untill i have 5 yrs here...

but then again- i do have a job... so a little more time off would be cool with me:thumbsup:

we do work too much.....

I work in Retail...and it only gets worse. For most of the 18 years I have been selling furniture I have been 100% comission. I have a small salary now plus comission, but that meens I have to open and close the store. I just hit one year with this company and I put in 300+ hours a month-you do the math, my leave time equals 5 full days a year with 5 full sick days, I believe after 2nd year it goes to 10days, I have ZERO weekends...ALL hands on deck EVERY WEEKEND AND HOLIDAY, the only holiday we will be closed is chirstmas day, thanksgiving day, day after thanksgiving is biggest sale day of the year so we generally open 6am. I personally average over 1 million dollars in sales a year (yes this is furniture) there is only 4 people that sold over a million last year out of our 8 stores(250+ sales people) through out texas (where the economy is still pretty strong in comparison). Being in the top 1% simply meens I get to keep my job another day. This is the industry I chose, and it is all about choices, I am geared this way now, my job probably is my life. I could probably goto 4 days a week if needed, but I wouldnt sell as much therefore I wouldnt make as much. At somepoint in my lifetime this may become an option. Right now kids are grown and my wife and I have one full day off together (tuesday) sunday is a short day for me I only work 8 hours, so we usually get sunday evening. Yes I agree Americans work a lot and probably a lot harder. I am truly grateful I have a Job. Most people dont work that many hours at my company. I call it a strong work ethic. Some of my peers call me a workaholic(I have been called worse) or just plain NUTS! I enjoy what I do and that makes it a lot easier. Glad to be working!

I agree 110%!!!

Europe does this too. In Rome, everyday, just after the lunch "rush", the majority of small businesses close their doors for a couple hours. It's AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Fork & Knife: when in Rome | Yale Daily News

"There’s also pisolino, the traditional post-lunch nap, which I’ve adopted and highly recommend. In Italy, the majority of stores close from 1:00 to 4:30 p.m. to allow for the time needed to eat, drink, linger and sleep. Enrico Ferro, a Morse freshman from Sardinia, misses this tradition in particular. “Sleeping after lunch is part of lunch. To fully understand the pleasure of food you have to sleep after it.â€￾ Wise words."

I work in Retail...and it only gets worse. For most of the 18 years I have been selling furniture I have been 100% comission. I have a small salary now plus comission, but that meens I have to open and close the store. I just hit one year with this company and I put in 300+ hours a month-you do the math, my leave time equals 5 full days a year with 5 full sick days, I believe after 2nd year it goes to 10days, I have ZERO weekends...ALL hands on deck EVERY WEEKEND AND HOLIDAY, the only holiday we will be closed is chirstmas day, thanksgiving day, day after thanksgiving is biggest sale day of the year so we generally open 6am. I personally average over 1 million dollars in sales a year (yes this is furniture) there is only 4 people that sold over a million last year out of our 8 stores(250+ sales people) through out texas (where the economy is still pretty strong in comparison). Being in the top 1% simply meens I get to keep my job another day. This is the industry I chose, and it is all about choices, I am geared this way now, my job probably is my life. I could probably goto 4 days a week if needed, but I wouldnt sell as much therefore I wouldnt make as much. At somepoint in my lifetime this may become an option. Right now kids are grown and my wife and I have one full day off together (tuesday) sunday is a short day for me I only work 8 hours, so we usually get sunday evening. Yes I agree Americans work a lot and probably a lot harder. I am truly grateful I have a Job. Most people dont work that many hours at my company. I call it a strong work ethic. Some of my peers call me a workaholic(I have been called worse) or just plain NUTS! I enjoy what I do and that makes it a lot easier. Glad to be working!

I couldn't do it man...I'd burn out so quickly, but it sounds like it's what you're used to now. If it works for you and your family, I understand. I cherish time with my friends and family, and after reading just how little time you get away from work, I won't complain much anymore :whistle:

I get another thing here in Australia that i didnt in the UK.

In the building trade here we also get "Long service leave".
Doesnt cost the boss 1 cent, all he does is log days worked
with the government. After 10 years I get 8 weeks off with
full pay. If I leave the trade now, after 7 years, I pick up 5
weeks full pay. I can swap jobs / roll's as often as I like
between companys as long as I stay in the trade/industry.

This is on top of my normal holidays and paid leave.
A nice little "extra" to have banked.

The mention in the 1st post of the UK getting their 2 weeks break is
very true. One reason is, long a go a LOT of the more industrial area's
used to have shut down's. Known as the "factory fortnight". Normaly
end of July / start of Aug. Not so much now, but its still very planted
in the British mentality. Lot's of Brits have an annual pilgrimage to
somewhere warm, Spain/Cyprus/Greece etc. Although the dates now
vary the whole "must have my two weeks away" is still very comon.

Back