using the fast idle as a cruise?

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
Someone told me it might be possible to use the fast idle lever (what replaces the choke) as some kind of a cruise control if you adjust the throttle cables accordingly.

Say you adjust it to rev at 5k RPM instead of around 800, it would work i guess. I am just curious about the idea... Anybody has toughts or experiences with such a thing???

race.gif

Should work, just bear in mind that it will not "automagically" disengage if you have to get on the brakes/roll off the throttle.

I know some guys that did it.. and they explained to me how to do it. I meant to try and just never have.

I know I've followed them when they are using them and they seem to work well.
One would have to reac over with their thumb and push it up if the need arose to stop... If you were paying attention I don't think it would add much stopping distance to the total stop though.

In general i think you are paying more attention to driving on a bike than in a car...

The main use would be for long highway stretches on long trips...

I'm considering doing it but still dont have much info...

You can adjust the fast idle on the right side, under the tank. I wouldn't recommend it. If you set you driving RPM to 5K (under load), and you pull in clutch in without backing it off, the RPMs will jump close to redline very quickly. And if you let the clutch back out, your bike will lunge forward hard.

Spend the money to get the Throttlemiester setup. Then your throttle is still controlled by your throttle.
smile.gif

I think it does more than increase the idle.....It would almost have to increase the fuel in the fuel/ratio.....?

I was more curious than anything else...

I will get a Throttlemeister this winter, or maybe before. The thing seems to be working great from what i read here, plus it looks good.

Choice made.

If you guys don't mind visiting a cow-a-socki forum, this is a cheap substitute for a throttlemeister that allows you to drop revs whenever you want... I'm getting ready to test my own here shortly.
smile.gif

Buy a 5/8" bolt...

Just an idea. Using a Solenoid that extends a friction disc against a disc mounted on the throttle linkage. Just need a electrical switch to activate it. A second wiring to the brake lights could deactivate it when the brakes are used.

I did it on my GSXR600K1

Just played with the adjustments on where the cam shaped bit hits on the roller. I didn't have any instructions but if you look at it you can see which screws you need to adjust to allow more movement.

Only bad thing as said is it doesnt shut off if you hit the brakes!

i've owned to throttlemiesters (BMW 1100RT and SV650S Suzukit..........flawless.......love em and they look good too. SV650S used to ride no hands for miles and miles.........fantastic device and very nice peeps who build them.

Back