USHIP carriers

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone watching the new show USHIP?

I was curious about the site and registered so I could browse listings in my area. I was thinking maybe this could be a couple extra $$$ if a load is available locally or within a couple hundred miles.

Anyway, looking down through the registration it also asks for a USDOT# and a MC#. So far it does not appear to be a required field but advises you have better options (book it now, broker listings, etc) and feedback with these numbers.

After doing a little research the USDOT# is $300 and the MC# is $500.

Are these required to carry other peoples goods even though neither is a company (I'm not real clear on those definitions)

If so, then you can tow a friends boat or load an enclosed trailer for a friend to move all day long but as soon as you make a "business" arrangement online then these are required?

Just trying to understand a little better, maybe personal carriers don't even need all this...

I'm not sure either, but I would say doing it for yourself or friend would be fine but yet still only considered personal. But as soon as you do it for someone and get paid it becomes a business and that's where it becomes more expensive and complicated and all the licenses/insurance/permits and required. Just like I know here in TN, you don't tags or anything for a personal use trailer UNTIL you use it for business purposes(to make money) then it's a different story and it needs it all.

I'm sure you can do it and get away with it to some point, but just like in the 1 episode where the rookie in the enclosed got stopped and and tried the personal/no tags line. He had a 50/50 shot of getting pulled again and hit with some pretty hefty fines/impounded if didn't get legal. ???

And remember, all those reality shows are only gonna show the best/most interesting stuff, just like the storage shows. When you read the fine print it say's pretty much those outcomes they have are far and few in between and I read somewhere that they may record up to 100 different locker auctions just to get the 3-4 decent ones they make a show out of where they actually make good money.

And if you notice lately the way they price stuff, their totals add up when they will go thru and say oh, that's a $50 bill. How? Some of those things they price like that you can go to e-bay and have it delivered to you for $15 :laugh: And they are always using retail/highest estimate giving to tally their profits supposedly. Who can sell anything for retail or highest value now a days anymore?

Yeah, I thought it interesting that he would only need tags on his trailer if crossing into another state that requires them.

Business use only I'm sure, because going through a state that requires inspection stickers does not mean you have to get one if your state does not require them.

Interstate MC# and DOT# needed
Intrastate not needed
For hire registration is needed if you are getting ANY kind of compensation.

And remember, all those reality shows are only gonna show the best/most interesting stuff, just like the storage shows. When you read the fine print it say's pretty much those outcomes they have are far and few in between and I read somewhere that they may record up to 100 different locker auctions just to get the 3-4 decent ones

Yep, I did see that. And I can tell you from what I have seen on USHIP, it's not worth traveling for a one load deal...you would have to pick up a decent load and gather a couple more on the way or on the return trip to make it worthwhile.

Traveling 100 miles to pick up a motorcycle to take it 200 miles and then 75 miles back home is not worth the $200 load fee they are going for.

To make it worth while it would have to start local or end local.

For hire registration is needed if you are getting ANY kind of compensation.

Didn't even think about that...:banghead:

So are you saying that as long as you stay within the state line then neither of these numbers are needed, just the for hire registration? That is part of what I was not clear on from the DOT site. It also state certain states rule changed/expired at the end of 2011.

I watched it a few times and really do not see how they make any money. It's not something I would get into because of the bidding war you go through to get the haul. You really have to know the exact size of everything or you could really get into trouble like the guy hauling the boats. Maybe if you were just going to haul bikes it might not be to bad. That seems to be pretty easy money. Good luck

Didn't even think about that...:banghead:

So are you saying that as long as you stay within the state line then neither of these numbers are needed, just the for hire registration? That is part of what I was not clear on from the DOT site. It also state certain states rule changed/expired at the end of 2011.

What state are you referring to? The information I give you will be based on NC and may not be the same in your state. Most states are different. If you need information dealing with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration stuff then every state follows that once a certain criteria is met

I have nc and a couple surrounding states listed as states I would look into. Doesn't look like it's going to be a very practical idea for a weekend hauler though.

I've got a ton of hot shot buddies and used to do a bit myself. Everythings gotta be registered and legal (atleast out here) once your hauling for money Uship was great a few years back until it got somewhat mainstream and now its everyone trying to get things shipped for nothing. I pickup a few things from time to time off craigslist, most of the time its not worth the money. Diesels averaging 3.80-4.00 a gal out here.

Few years ago i took a loaded gooseneck for a guy from brighton colorado to laramie for $500 bucks had 3 bob cats on it
Bumper pull camper from denver to grand junction co. for $450
38ft 5th wheel toy hauler from denver to pueblo co for $500

Called on a bumper pull camper move the other day from aurora co to greeley co (around 55 miles each way) and the guy offered $40 bucks, i just laughed and hung up

That show seems really really fake to me

Fake, yes I'd say most of the show if set up for entertainment purposes.

Thanks for the info, $40 :rofl:

Back