US Postal Service

masterblaster

Registered
Ordered a tool tube on the 1st, shipped that day, it will arrive tomorrow on the 4th, from Bellingham Washington to Miami in 3 days. Seems the Military and the US PS are the only two areas of our government that work. I am not a big supporter of the US government doing anything for me at all except whats spelled out in the US Constitution (USPS is a constitutional requirement) and BOR but I have to give Kudos to the USPS. I hope our congress can undo the damage they have done to the USPS so we can keep them around doing what they always have done well for longer than the country has been a country. If the postal service gos under for any reason that is the final sign our government is rotten to the core. I am not a postal worker or tied to them in any way just a happy user of their service.

United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will be a shame, I talk to my postal people whether carrier or counter folks all the time. They don't know from day to day where they stand..prices through them are creeping back up...

Thanks Masterblaster! We (the USPS) are indeed in tough financial times right now due to the severe decline in first class mail volume (our primary source of revenue). However, we have been able to maintain, and even improve, our service scores nationally. Yes, we still have some screw ups, but overall we are still a most trusted brand and we are doing a good job. We need for Congress to act on legislation that will return us to profitability, such as; eliminating Saturday delivery except for Express Mail, closing unprofitable post offices, and relief from paying the pre-funded payment into the future retirees' fund (which is already funded for the next two decades). Thanks for your kind words.

Postal
(employee of the United States Postal Service, Headquarters, Washington, DC, and proud of it)

i really like the "if it fits, it ships" boxes, they have made shipping really easy! as far as mail delivery, i don't see why they don't just run routes every other day...do half the routes MWF and the other half TTS, it seems like it could cut a lot of cost and there isn't any reason why i need bills arriving at my house every day :laugh:

Thanks Masterblaster! We (the USPS) are indeed in tough financial times right now due to the severe decline in first class mail volume (our primary source of revenue). However, we have been able to maintain, and even improve, our service scores nationally. Yes, we still have some screw ups, but overall we are still a most trusted brand and we are doing a good job. We need for Congress to act on legislation that will return us to profitability, such as; eliminating Saturday delivery except for Express Mail, closing unprofitable post offices, and relief from paying the pre-funded payment into the future retirees' fund (which is already funded for the next two decades). Thanks for your kind words.

Postal
(employee of the United States Postal Service, Headquarters, Washington, DC, and proud of it)

You are no different than every other Govt run program or business. You spend way more than you take in, you think operating in the red is ok, and you have piss poor management. Actually, the USPS may would be profitable if the Govt didn't steal from it to pay for other crap. I haven't actually looked at the financials to know for sure.

You are no different than every other Govt run program or business. You spend way more than you take in, you think operating in the red is ok, and you have piss poor management. Actually, the USPS may would be profitable if the Govt didn't steal from it to pay for other crap. I haven't actually looked at the financials to know for sure.

Actually you are wrong on several points. First, we are quite different than other government agencies. We rely totally on our own revenue and do not take federal funding to operate. The only other government agency similar to us is the US Mint, but they do receive minimal federal funding. Second, we are mandated by congress to deliver to every door six days a week. We have to spend billions of dollars to fulfill our government mandate, so under the present economy and loss of First Class mail due to e-commerce we are spending more than the revenue we generate, and we are asking congress to change our mandate and allow us to change our operating model so that we can to return to profitability. We do not think that is okay, to operate in the red, and that is the very reason we are asking congress for massive changes. Third, our management is actually quite good, and our national service scores prove that. Do we have some bad managers? Yes. Overall I believe our managers are very well trained and good to people. Not sure what you base your accusation on. As for your statement "Actually, the USPS may would be profitable if the Govt didn't steal from it to pay for other crap." This is partially true, but it is not stealing, and the biggest demand by the government is that the USPS pay billions a year into the federal retiree fund as a pre-funding payment. We have already over-paid by over ten billion dollars. As for your statement "I haven't actually looked at the financials to know for sure." That's okay, most people are ignorant to the operations and financials of the USPS. Many people still believe that the USPS gets its funding from their taxes, which hasn't happened since about 1972 when the Post Office Department became the US Postal Service.

P.

All I know is 'I click it, it ships!'

I print a label, scan barcode with USPS app on iPhone (which I love, for tracking), I stuff it in any small box I can find and pay online $5.15 to ANYWHERE in conti USA. Always on time rain or shine :thumbsup:
Keep up the good work Postal and a couple other well known unnamed members here.

I have very little good to say about the USPS. Other than the flat rate boxes, those are nice.

But every postal worker I have ever dealt with was lazy, over paid and took advantage. Now I know that's likely not the norm and it could very well be management in my area.

Also I don't believe the post office should be making a profit.. It's a service that for a civilized country is required. I know I know that's commie or some such crap, and I'm sure I'm a terrible capitalist for sayin it.

Government is good at collecting taxes from your paycheck.

If you are implying that the USPS is operated on, or receives money via the taxes of anyone, that is incorrect. We generate our own revenue. See my post above.

P.

I have very little good to say about the USPS. Other than the flat rate boxes, those are nice.

But every postal worker I have ever dealt with was lazy, over paid and took advantage. Now I know that's likely not the norm and it could very well be management in my area.

Also I don't believe the post office should be making a profit.. It's a service that for a civilized country is required. I know I know that's commie or some such crap, and I'm sure I'm a terrible capitalist for sayin it.

Unfortunately we do have some less than desireable employees. With over 600,000 of them it is bound to happen.

As for making a profit, we haven't done that in over three years because of the economy (see my post above). The profits we did make were returned back to the USPS in the form of capital investments. No one walked home with them in their pockets.

You are right about our service requirements, we are mandated by the federal government to deliver to every door six days a week.

P.

i have had nothing but good luck sending a receiving packages from the USPS, keep up the good work guys and gals:thumbsup:

Anybody else faced with a slow down would prolly switch service to 3 days a week, and stem the bleeding.

We are trying to reduce delivery down to five days a week. This will save the USPS about 2.5 billion a year, but congress has to okay this, and right now they are doing nothing until after the elections.

P.

I would keep the same service that is in place now, you still have to compete with UPS/Fedex. Find other ways to get more efficient, more with less etc etc. Keep up the good work, Ben Franklin is looking down on you guys.

Back