Update on BT021 Tires

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
As a few of you already know, I ran a set of BT021 tires this season and had issues with "how the felt" under the bike and that the front tire literally "wore out" in 5K... This is the first time I have ever had a set of tires that I never got really comfortable with and then on top of that, the front tire just sawed itself off like that..

I honestly believe that the front was pushing through the corners when pushed at all due to a compound issue and so I pursued that idea..

I called Bridgestone/Firestone and got to talk with the head of the US motorcycle tire division and we chatted for a bit.. He said he would look into my thoughts and concerns and would call me back...

Low and behold, he called me back 3 days later...

Turns out the engineers did find issues on the compounds with this tire and had made adjustments.. They then sent me fresh rubber free of charge..

very cool and I hope this fixes the "un-easy" feeling I had on the tires from the start.. Thanks Bridgestone!!

(note production date on this tire is Mid July of 08)

DSC_0019.JPG

Last edited:
that's very cool Randy.... I hope mine that I just put on are not in that "infected" batch! :poke: Maybe we could hire you to be a spokesperson on all of our behalfs - seems that you know how to "charm" those company reps pretty good! :laugh: :laugh:

that's very cool Randy.... I hope mine that I just put on are not in that "infected" batch! :poke: Maybe we could hire you to be a spokesperson on all of our behalfs - seems that you know how to "charm" those company reps pretty good! :laugh: :laugh:
oh it is a piece of cake... here is what you do....

Invoke the name of the ".oRg" :rofl: almost like ringing a bell ..:cheerleader:

But honestly he did not tell me the cut off date on the old compound... I would suggest if you have a short life tire, you contact Bridgestone/Firestone directly and just follow their instructions.. (I started out on the website and submitted a "request" to customer service)

They called me within a few days and I was given the number to the US Rep.. (not sure I was supposed to get this from the sounds of it) I think they make sure the tires in question get replaced for those that have issues..

Last edited:
:bowdown: way to go. maybe you could call them and get a group buy for the Org at your price, free :cheerleader::cheerleader:

oh it is a piece of cake... here is what you do....

Invoke the name of the ".oRg" :rofl: almost like ringing a bell ..:cheerleader:

But honestly he did not tell me the cut off date on the old compound... I would suggest if you have a short life tire, you contact Bridgestone/Firestone directly and just follow their instructions.. (I started out on the website and submitted a "request" to customer service)

They called me within a few days and I was given the number to the US Rep.. (not sure I was supposed to get this from the sounds of it) I think they make sure the tires in question get replaced for those that have issues..

I'm just glad that they took care of the issue... glad to see that they are at least willing to stand behind their product. In the mean time, I will just keep an eye on my front, cross my fingers, and say my prayers :please: :please: !

Only time will tell.....

well got logged on to my home laptop from here. so here is the front tire with 5K on it.. well one of them, on the other side of the tire, the tire carcass is torn from tread rubber..

DSC_0004.JPG

Last edited:
Holy Crap! I have about 2500 miles on mine and there is really no sign of wear. I wish I knew what batch mine came from.

mine was showing problem at 2500M what are the last 4 digits in the tire serial? (they will be "inset" not raised) will be something like 2407

Sounds like some good customer service. Won't need tires for a while, but will add them to my short list for that reason.

Sounds like some good customer service. Won't need tires for a while, but will add them to my short list for that reason.
Is why I opted to try them again.. I from my very first post on these particular tires was not happy with how the bike felt.. always that "uneasy, something not feeling quite right" thing.. Pushing through the hills etc just always seemed like more work than fun.. I am really hoping it was the front tire sawing itself off the bike that did it... sort of like driving a snow plow..

Great work, Randy.

It never hurts to contact manufacturers. Almost exclusively, the opposite is true.

They took good care of you there...I wonder if they've recalled their errant batch.

Look forward to your continuing commentary.

:beerchug:

Wow good to see them stand behind the product. I will be keeping a close eye on mine as I jsut put a set on about 1200 miles ago. They feel good to me though but I don't stress them too much. I wish there was a way to find out the batch number so I could check mine. Anyway cool you got a new tire!!

Randy those are the tires im looking at getting. Hope i get a good batch when i do order mine.

Randy those are the tires im looking at getting. Hope i get a good batch when i do order mine.
check the production date on any tire you get... the last four digits of the "tire brand" will be the week/year of manufacture..

in my case they read 2708 27th week of 08 I will send an email and see if I can obtain when the compound change occurred.

That is good to hear. I didn't have any handling issues with my 021s, but my front is burnt to the wear bars on both sides (middle is still pretty good) at 3600 miles while the rear is a little over half worn anywhere. I'll check the #s but I bet (know) mine came out of the bad batch.
I'll try calling them but doubtful that the're going to start replacing tires for everyone who calls in claiming "rapidly worn" front tires without an official recall in place. Ah well, doesn't really matter, I'm going Michelin next anyway.

Back