Votes: 235 79.9%
  • laid off

Votes: 41 13.9%
  • retired

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • temporary job after being laid off

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
I'm unemployed & self employed plus looking for a CAREER JOB EVERYDAY. I'm doing what I gotta do to feed the family & keep the shop lights on.....I been turning folks away that think I should work for free since the economy is bad,if I'm not gonna profit I may as well spend time working on my own stuff/hanging with the family as I see it.......keep your heads up family it's gonna get better someday :thumbsup:

Last edited:
So far, so good here. Lot less iffy now than it was last year at this time. Still not out of the woods by any means, but the trees are thinning.

Its important for all us unemployed to keep a good attitude. No matter How broke I am I can still afford gas for the Busa!!!
Looking at the poll Its pretty close to the national unemployment rate.

Last edited:
voted employed.. for now that is, State is thinking about privatizing the prison and that will mean about a 60-70% cut in pay.???. keeping my fingers crossed

Employed US Army 19 1/2 years. I wish the best for everyone who is in between jobs. God bless you all. This makes me not want to retire anytime soon.

44 of us 5 years ago doing what i do... now 17.... packages and terminations.. over staffed... there going to those with the least amount of time with the company..some had over 15 years... and were low man.. I have 33 plus and have max time..... BUT...
I have been forced to work 6pm to 4am....happy to get 40 hours a week..but it's a tough shift... I have to say to myself often quit whining....as those of you who don't have a job would say to me... I wish the best to those who are seaching for a job..Including my wife. Gawd i hope things get better soon.

Also military here (Navy, 22 years with a contract till DEC 2013). If I pick up the next rank, gonna ride the boat till 30 years. Best of luck and prayers to all of us.

My wifes son that is 23 years old has been on unemployment for over a year now? How is that possible? I know that he is just riding the system, He is into drugs and all kinds of stuff, But I just can not figure out how he can draw unemployment for this long??
If there was a way to report him I would,,
Mike

Still employed and counting my lucky stars. Business is slowing ever more and more all the time.

Remember that unemployment is only part of the picture. Underemployment is a huge problem as well. I'm working for 2/3 what I should be just to keep some cash coming in. I know a lot of people in this or similar situations, not putting in enough hours or taking pay cuts. We may be on someone's payroll and while that's a good thing, it's not necessarily ideal, either.

What that means is, we're still a long way from a recovery.

--Wag--

To retain my contract I had to take a 24% cut since May of last year. There hasn't even been a glimmer of improvement since then. I still have the same level of responsibility as before but the level of consulting that I provide has decreased by 24%. You pay less you get less. I've been networking to get back out of the banking industry but all of the other industries have taken the same hit. Yea, I'm happy to have a job but there should be more to it than just being employed.

For everyone out there between jobs, I've felt your pain in the past. You've got my prayers.

My wifes son that is 23 years old has been on unemployment for over a year now? How is that possible? I know that he is just riding the system, He is into drugs and all kinds of stuff, But I just can not figure out how he can draw unemployment for this long??
If there was a way to report him I would,,
Mike

What you should do is take the responsability of being a parent and take care of your sons drug problem.
If your not sure about the current system on unemplayment, you should maybe check out your states .gov website and do your research.

Ben

wow almost didn't want to see that...

Sorry to hear for those guys that are looking for a job..

I just started a new one....hell yeah I'm a guidance counselor now....after spending 2 yrs in Iraq and 1 yr in Afghanistan.

I have the manners of a 90 yr old senile man with a bad case of crabs....so let me talk to young kids....I'm either going to hell or jail....still trying to make up my mind on that one.

things are so bad here, i called about the same kind of job i was making $100 a day at for the last 2 years.
the lady i spoke to wanted to pay me MINIMUM WAGE AND DRIVE ALL OVER TOWN:banghead:

The only thing i have to be glad about is i have a good bike and no addictions to feed

Last edited:
Employed, but since my assistant left 2.5 years ago I have been doing both jobs (mine and his). We were both busy when he left and the workload has probably increased another 30%. Just me now. Stress. Various health issues. Trying to sort them out. Not complaining (why bother).

My Busa helps me cope.

things are so bad here, i called about the same kind of job i was making $100 a day at for the last 2 years.
the lady i spoke to wanted to pay me MINIMUM WAGE AND DRIVE ALL OVER TOWN:banghead:

The only thing i have to be glad about is i have a good bike and no addictions to feed

If you think that's crazy they offering jobs in the NW with 120k plus people out of work for folks with ba degrees $10hr jobs..

i imagine your cost of living is even higer there too.
just a rinky dink apt can be had here in the $400 range

Cost of living and everything is higher here,a cheap apt for $400 is a cardboard box in a back alley..$750-900 starting here..

I am employed but the State of Kansas is probably going to start furlows in about a month or so. They are trying to shoot for 1 day a month for 3 months as of right now! :whistle:

Back