Undertail rivets and more

nickp133

Registered
Well first off this isnt my bike, im actually team honda and ride a 600rr :whistle:....sorry guys. However my friends dad did purchase a stock k5 busa over the summer and just recently hes gotten the bug to start buying parts and modifying it. He planned on taking it to a local dealer and have them install everything but i just offered to do it to save him the time and money since it was all easy stuff (puig windscreen, carbon fiber yoshis, hotbodies undertail, etc.)

So the bike didnt come with an undertail at all, im guessing the previous owner kept it so i went out and bought a bag of those black 6mm pop/push rivets whatever you want to call them from napa and installed it with those. However he and i arent particularly fond of the finish and appearance of them, they dont exactly blend in or look oem since they dont have a dome shaped head, it just kind of looks like a button coming out. So i was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a brand or type of rivet or fastener that would look better and work just as well? Or if anyone has any extras lying around that i could purchase thatd be great too.

Secondly, the yoshis are just slip ons, not a full system and on the clutch side where it bolts to the midpipe theres a slight leak since when we first started the bike up afterwards some white smoke started leaking out of where they bolt together. Not sure if some gasket sealant or something would fix that? Not really a huge deal since it doesnt sound like theres an exhaust leak or anything but it is bolted on tightly and everything, just something else that annoyed him but im not overly concerned about.

Finally, I also ordered him a swing arm license plate bracket since he didnt want to drill into the undertail to remount it and liked the idea of the plate being down there anyway. It hasnt been delivered yet but it didnt look like there would be too much clearance between where the top of the bracket would be and the bottom of the exhaust. I wouldnt want it to dent or scratch his brand new exhaust, and i dont think hed be happy either. Anyone ever have an issue with that? And do i just have to remove that big silver nut on the axle and put the bracket on then put the nut back on to install it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

And a little pic of the bike to give you guys something to look at
busa.jpg

Plastic push pins. Contact Josh with East Honda Toledo. Site sponsor.

You could always purchase a new gasket. Pretty sure someone has one lying around.

The license plate bracket sounds like it may be an issue. Where does it mount? Swing arm by chain guard or does it use the axle block?

Oh he should also powder coat the the rear sets and passenger pegs too. Look up TM powder coating. Site sponsor.

Thanks guys.

You could always purchase a new gasket. Pretty sure someone has one lying around.

The license plate bracket sounds like it may be an issue. Where does it mount? Swing arm by chain guard or does it use the axle block?

Yeah theyre the same as those just the heads arent rounded and dont look too attractive, i guess i could always give those ones a shot.

The leak is where the muffler bolts to the midpipe so its not a header issue and there was no gasket on there when i removed the stock mufflers, is there supposed to be one between the midpipe and muffler? If anyones got one laying around id be happy to buy it or ill just check out bikebandit or something i guess.

The bracket im sure can go on either side but i figured id do it on the axle block side since theres only one axle bolt and putting it on the chain guard sign would require taking the axle and wheel and everything off sooo that wouldnt make too much sense.

:welcome: and we are gonna need to see that RR.:poke:

haha yeah yeah, here she is. I sold my 01 f4i in september and bought this in october so i havent even had the chance to ride it really. I was actually checking out k4/k5 gixxers but I got a good deal on this and have never had any problems with honda before. Ill probably be a proud busa owner in a couple years though dont worry...

rr2-1.jpg

rr3.jpg

All blacked out and powdercoated everything as well. I replaced the stainless two brothers with a carbon fiber one, carbon fiber triple cover, carbon fiber exhaust heat shield which i have yet to put on, and some other carbon fiber bits if anyone cares. By the way, i bought the cf muffler used from a gsxr750 so i have a dual exhaust two brothers midpipe for one of those laying around if anyone needs/wants one? I tried selling it on ebay but the guy never paid. Just throwin it out there.

I was going to say watch out. the busa was a way of rubbing on you.kinda like a rattle snake but meaner.when you see it you are already bit

Your rivet issue got addressed as for the tag check your state codes, swingarm plate under the exhaust won't fly here in FL. cost you a $1000.00 when he tells you to :laugh:

Your rivet issue got addressed as for the tag check your state codes, swingarm plate under the exhaust won't fly here in FL. cost you a $1000.00 when he tells you to :laugh:

$1000? really? thats absurd. im in nj, i know some people with the swingarm brackets and they havent had a problem in terms of being pulled over or hassled for it. The only instance i know where its been an issue is when my friend got pulled over for speeding on his rr and the cop threw the book at him and hit him with speeding, wreckless driving, yada yada yada and one of them was for his license plate being mounted like that. Otherwise ive never heard of any problems as far as the legality is concerned. Any nj advice?

$1000? really? thats absurd. im in nj, i know some people with the swingarm brackets and they havent had a problem in terms of being pulled over or hassled for it. The only instance i know where its been an issue is when my friend got pulled over for speeding on his rr and the cop threw the book at him and hit him with speeding, wreckless driving, yada yada yada and one of them was for his license plate being mounted like that. Otherwise ive never heard of any problems as far as the legality is concerned. Any nj advice?

FL. was having issues with people running and using flip up plates and such. So they created the $1k 1st offense, $2,500 2nd and $5k and loss of license(forget how long)3rd offense. The law has been altered some to give a little more slack,but the fines remain the same. Same goes with pulling lifting either front or rear wheel in air. So best advice is check your local fines and if it's worth the possibility to have to pay out on it one day.

Regarding the license plate holder, I've been looking at one made by Highway Hawk - it still fits from the spindle, but comes round behind the tyre - similar to what the Diavel has. I think it only comes in chrome, but that could be sorted. If you type "REAR TYRE UNIVERSAL CHROME LICENSE PLATE HOLDER" into google, you'll find it.
The undertail rivets can be sorted out if you araldite 5mm bolts to the inside of the undertail holes, then you can use the standard allen head bolts to attach the undertail - thats what I did, and personally think it looks pretty good!

Welcome ,thats good of you to help your friend out like that ,im in nj as well and i too have the plate down low ,i believe that its illegal in nj ,stopped but never ticketed for it also while installing the bracket i remember having to pull the axel out ,no biggie.Well good luck with everything,and have a good day

DSC00088.jpg

Last edited:
Back