Losing Plastic Rivets

The Silver Bullet

Registered
I just finished installing an extreme graphic undertail (stock brake light upside down) on my '02, and I keep losing a plastic rivet where the hole in the undertail isn't flush with the hole in the tail section (middle hole, right-hand from rear side.) There is a fair ammount of tension on the little guy, and it keeps popping out when ever I go faster than 120 mph or so. At $2.77 a pop, I'm getting annoyed, and wanted to know if there was anyone else out there that solved this problem? Know where to buy longer rivets?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Screw the rivets, get screws and fasteners that you keep you locked down... and its cheaper
wink.gif

Take a drill and make the holes line up.............. If the inner hole is extremely large after this fix take another piece of sheet metal roughly 1.0" x 1.0" x approx. .025" thick (anything on the thin side will work) and drill another same size hole in this material.... Use this as a back up plate to catch the rivet, bye bye problem! Or just follow Dez's advice.....

I had the same problem. So i went to lowes and bought larger push rivits. But then on top of that I put silicone on ALL the rivits. Once you do that they will never come out until you want them to.

The problem is that the fender is in the way, so I can't reach the back to get a nut on a screw. The holes line up, but there is a gap between them that is causing all the tension. So they sell those plastic push rivets at Lowes?

Is there anywhere to get a box of 25 of those rivets? Anytime I take them out regardless of how carefull I am one of them always breaks. I think it is ridiculous that they are $3 a piece for a 2 cent part.

I wonder if a sheetrock fastener would do the trick.......... The kind with plastic expanding fingers.

Back