Um yah are Legal system is so twisted.

SHADiGUY1

IT IS WHAT IT IS
Donating Member
Registered
First off im gonna say if it were u or me or anyone else on this board wed be getting the full 15 years in prison. This just proves my thoughts on the "RICH/Famous/Celbs/Sports Stars get diffrent treatment when it comes to punishments for Crimes.

Oj Simpson
Donte Stallworth

I could list more but am just too aggrevated with this crap.

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth's attorney, Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

A source told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that while the financial terms of the settlement with the family have not been disclosed, Stallworth was covered by two insurance policies: a car insurance policy and a $5 million umbrella policy.

Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken-driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. According to the plea agreement, Stallworth needs to serve only 24 days of his 30-day sentence. Murphy agreed to give Stallworth credit for the one day he already served, April 2, which was the day of his arrest and booking. In addition, Stallworth received an additional five days of credit because of a Florida state statute stating anyone who is sentenced to 30 days (besides civil, contempt, drug treatment and house arrest cases) automatically gets five days' credit time served for every 30 days, spokesperson Janelle Hall of the Miami Dade County Corrections Department told Naqi.

After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that according to an NFL source, commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to discipline Stallworth before the Browns start training camp July 31.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league is reviewing the matter for possible disciplinary action. Stallworth could face suspension without pay for some games this year.

The Browns released a statement Tuesday evening, saying "The Browns are very conscious of the seriousness of the charges to which Donte' Stallworth plead guilty to today. We are continuing to evaluate the situation and will make the decisions that we believe are in the best interest of the Cleveland Browns."

Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving for reasons such as employment.

Lyons noted that Stallworth stopped immediately after the accident, called 911 and submitted to roadside alcohol testing despite spending most of the night drinking at a Miami Beach hotel.

"He acted like a man," Lyons said. "He remained at the scene. He cooperated fully."

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle cited Stallworth's lack of previous criminal record, cooperation with police and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family -- particularly the victim's 15-year-old daughter -- wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

"For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached," Rundle said.

None of the Reyes family attended the hearing. Their attorney, Rodolfo Suarez, read a statement saying the family wants to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event." Suarez was not immediately available to comment after the hearing.

After Stallworth spent the night drinking at a bar in Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel, police said he hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift at about 7:15 a.m.

Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. The California native and University of Tennessee college star also has played in the NFL for the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints.

The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.

David Cornwell, a Stallworth attorney handling the NFL situation, said he has kept top league officials apprised of the case.

"Whenever it is appropriate to do so, we are prepared to discuss the circumstances under which Donte' will resume his career," Cornwell said.

Kelly Naqi is a reporter for ESPN's "Outside The Lines." Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I imagine that the two years of house arrest will be tough. If he can afford a Bentley just imagine what his house is like.

Yeah ok thats great way to set an example if the average joe reacted in the exact same way I doubt highly that they would say such nice things as he took responsibilty and he called 911 etc.. It's the states way of making money I'm sure there was a very large fine that undoubtedly went to Miami for this incident. The unfortunate fact of the matter is law is just another business and in this case in order to recover the most profit out of it this was the best direction for them.

Bruh, I do understand!!! And what's worse for me the family took a monetary amount of money,before he was ever conficted!!!!. But if this is bad, we're (the American people) bailing out companies for bad business practices. It's amazing!!!!!

Bruh, I do understand!!! And what's worse for me the family took a monetary amount of money,before he was ever conficted!!!!. But if this is bad, we're (the American people) bailing out companies for bad business practices. It's amazing!!!!!

Oh don't get me started with that where the h*ll is the bailout for the average working guy who wants to work and support his family ? :banghead: :fire:

wow.. the way i look at it now if i ever have something unfourtnane happen with law enforcement im gonna recite the Stallworth Case act hell i called the cops myself.. I should get a small sentence. Hell if he gets away with killing someone. Why did the convict michael vic for Fighting dogs go figure.

Dogs Fight- 2 Years spen in jail plus huge fines community service etc.
Human life lost- 30 Days Sentence. -1 day for time spent in lockup while being booked. -5 Days for Good time so hell only spend an actual 24 days in prision or in his case i should say which county club. Wait hell goto jail and it will be "OVERCROWDED" like when paris hilton went for a dui and spent 48 hours of her 90 day sentence go figure. This is why the legal system really pissed me off. And there is absoultly no excuse for this case being handeled the way it was it is an injustice if u ask me if it were me that had that hi off a blood alcohol content i would be in prison for 15 years and they wouldnt think twice about the sentence period.

if this goes to trial, they have to find 12 individuals to convict him of this crime...

which based on OJ, and even the 4 white murderers that beat a mexican man to death, that is not so easy....

there is a problem with the case, that most news agencies do not report...the victim was not in a crosswalk, he jumped out in front of the car.

this would have cost millions to prosecute, and in the end would be left in the hands of 12 people and the chances are one of them has gotten behind the wheel after drinking...

if a D.A could not convict 4 whites of a racially motivated murder....why do you think you could get a conviction for a guy and an accidental death?

PS: there is nothing wrong with the family taking a settlement for the loss, that what happens. except usually the big money comes from an insurance company.

Im sorry im gonna have to disagree with u on this. 30 days for killing someone i dont care if he was in a cross walk or not.

if this goes to trial, they have to find 12 individuals to convict him of this crime...

which based on OJ, and even the 4 white murderers that beat a mexican man to death, that is not so easy....

there is a problem with the case, that most news agencies do not report...the victim was not in a crosswalk, he jumped out in front of the car.

this would have cost millions to prosecute, and in the end would be left in the hands of 12 people and the chances are one of them has gotten behind the wheel after drinking...

if a D.A could not convict 4 whites of a racially motivated murder....why do you think you could get a conviction for a guy and an accidental death?

PS: there is nothing wrong with the family taking a settlement for the loss, that what happens. except usually the big money comes from an insurance company.

The problem is not this I agree with your thoughts but from another point of view what I am saying is the same rules would not apply to normal people regardless of the severity of the crime.

I read somewhere the reason he got of "light" was because drinking or not, he still would have hit and killed the guy. It's not like he jumped the sidewalk, or crashed his car into his. The man was walking across a road when he was not supposed to

oj got 0 days in jail for killing two people....this guy was driving and somone jumped out from behind a parked car.

but that not really the point...the point is the accident was not caused by stallworth, was he drinking? yes, but in a trial the defense would show how little time there was to react and atleast one person would agree with him...you only need one to go free.

if i drink two shots, hop in my car and drive home....while crossing an intersection a guy hits me, flies thru the window and dies.

technically i was drunk.....so under zero tolerance rules i would be booked for murder, even though the other car ran a red light and hit "ME".

the phrase is called "contributory negligence", the fact that i was drunk does not make me entirely responsible, the other driver "contributed" to the collision.

zero tolerance laws are lame, they are simple minded solutions to complex problems...like this. if stallworth had not been drinking and this man ran in front of the car, we not even care. the media, and MADD is trying to convince us that if stallworth had not been drinking, the man would still be alive....and that is very simpled minded.

This is exactly true! Stallworth will have to live the rest of his life knowing he was drinking and killed a dude that ran out in front of him. His fault or not. It's just the facts.
His punishment is fair IMO>...Not driving the REST of his life. House arrest (means going NO WHERE) for two years. And paid the family a Million dollars.
Sucks for both parties.

again i dont beleive so be honest if it was myself id be in prison for the next 15 or longer for this exact crime. thats the only point im trying to get across.

oj got 0 days in jail for killing two people....this guy was driving and somone jumped out from behind a parked car.

but that not really the point...the point is the accident was not caused by stallworth, was he drinking? yes, but in a trial the defense would show how little time there was to react and atleast one person would agree with him...you only need one to go free.

if i drink two shots, hop in my car and drive home....while crossing an intersection a guy hits me, flies thru the window and dies.

technically i was drunk.....so under zero tolerance rules i would be booked for murder, even though the other car ran a red light and hit "ME".

the phrase is called "contributory negligence", the fact that i was drunk does not make me entirely responsible, the other driver "contributed" to the collision.

zero tolerance laws are lame, they are simple minded solutions to complex problems...like this. if stallworth had not been drinking and this man ran in front of the car, we not even care. the media, and MADD is trying to convince us that if stallworth had not been drinking, the man would still be alive....and that is very simpled minded.

at least killing people is better than copyright infringement for music sharing...for 24 songs the lady,(single mom), was fined multimillions...just think how many people could be run over or beat to death and would be cheaper than having about an hours worth of crappy music on a share file. poor record companies are starving and we are overpopulated, which drives down the value of life apparently. things are too far outta whack

Agreed the Justice system here doesn't work for everyone, seems to work better for some people. So I don't see how any one here can condemn the justice system of other countries when ours is one of the biggest jokes in the world. I think they have exonerated at least 2 people after there death sentence was carried out for a crime they didn't commit.

If this victem had walked out in front of a driver who had not been drinking, it would have simply been an unfortunate accident. Because he had been drinking, his life is shot, and we don't even know if his drinking contributed to the accident in any way. I don't know anymore about this than I've read here, but the result could have been the same no matter who was driving. It wasn't too long ago when 0.126 was not considered intoxicated in some states. I'm certainly not for drinking and driving but I don't like the idea that you're automatically guilty if you've been drinking, whether you actually made a mistake or not. In this case he seems to have been in full control of his faculties immediately following the accident. A bad situation in any case.

Back