Tyre sizes

del

Registered
Hi all I have been offered some ex race tyres very cheap, but the rears are 190/55 or 190/60 when they should be 50s. Has anyone used this size or have any ideas on using them? Cheers Del.

I'm using a 190/55 Pilot Power on my Gen 1 now and love it. They are just a slight bit higher profile giving a larger contact patch on the side/edge of the tire. Supposed to give a little better turn in, nothing that I can really notice, but it sure doesn't hurt the turn in any. Most all street sport tires are available in the 190/55 series now.
190/60 would be even taller, and probably a strictly race tire. As with all pure race tires, very short life span, not the greatest traction when cold either.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom, that was exactly what I wanted to hear, I will get them fitted in the morning. Cheers

As with all pure race tires, very short life span, not the greatest traction when cold either.

Actually Tom, that's a myth. At no point at any temperature does a street tire offer more traction than a race tire.

I'd suggest staying away from the 190/60 series tire! You can develop handling as well as clearance issues with this tire size.

Hmm, how come you need to use warmers with race tires. I'd always understood they were pretty treacherous at cool or even street riding temps.:confused:

Don't worry, I'm not going to go Bobber here, just trying to collect information.:laugh:

i have not seen any street tires at 190/60, only ones ive used have been race dunlops slick, as far as performance, above 190/50's its mostly turn in and a bit more clearance as it is a taller tire, i use 55's contact patch is fairly the same, its just a taller tire with better turn in feel....60's WILL rub with the bottom fairing/wing so you would have to remove it, but with a 55 clearance is ok.... hope this helps

Last edited:
How do track bikes cope with the taller tire? Does typical race geometry leave more space in the back?

Race bikes adjust the suspension to cope with the big tire and a 60 series is a Big Arse Tire! The gearing has to be adjusted accordingly as well. Just not a good idea to go 60 series if you have a choice on a street ride.

Hmm, how come you need to use warmers with race tires. I'd always understood they were pretty treacherous at cool or even street riding temps.:confused:

Don't worry, I'm not going to go Bobber here, just trying to collect information.:laugh:

You know Tom, I was a little concerned about that HillBillyBobber business for a bit! :poke:

Race tires need warmers because racers don't have two laps to spare to get the tire up to temperature. I run race tires without warmers on most track days unless I'm running in the advanced group where everybody goes fast on the first lap.

You can take a Dunlop Q2 street tire and a Pirelli Super Corsa race tire on two seperate bikes and take them on the street or track and at no point will the street tire have more traction than the race tire.

I run race takeoffs most of the time on the street just because I have access to lots of them and I've never had any problems with them on dry pavement. Rain is a whole new program. Street tires usually have more silica in the rubber along with more tread sipes and will almost always out perform the race tire with barely enough tread to make it DOT legal.

Now don't go Bobber on me Dude! :please:

Hey Tuf...I still haven't had to put my Dunlop Q2's on yet...are you having good luck with them? Any issues?

Hey Tuf...I still haven't had to put my Dunlop Q2's on yet...are you having good luck with them? Any issues?

Not the person you asked but... I've been running them this year at a couple of track days on my GSXR 1000. I'm pretty impressed by them so far. Great grip with great wear characteristics for me so far. I'm a slower intermediate rider. I haven't heard anything bad about them from anyone I've met that is also running them. I'm hoping to get two more track days out of them before I transfer them over to the busa for street duty. Where I would expect to get about 2000 miles out of them before the center wears out.

I don't have a huge breadth of experience with tires but I can tell you I like them better than all of the tires i've ran before (BT-15,16; PP2CT; Q1).

Back