Tyre Sealant and punctures

newman

Registered
First being new to forums of any sort I just want to know if there a search facility on here because being a newbee I,m sure My questions have been posed before and been answered many times before. Now to my question does any one use tyre sealant I'm going for ride on it seem good they say there is no viabration in the tyres on the move unlike other some makes. Also what about repairing punctured tyres I know manufacturers say get a new tyre but as a trained truck/car tyre retreader I would have Thought a plug (not just pushed into the tyre) but put through from the inside and covered with a patch would be fine, It works fine for truck and car tyres (even without the plug) but does anyone know about bike tyres. thanks Dave.

Dave I got this tire repair kit from Tim at Pashnit. He is a sponsor here look for him.
50 bucks and it seems very much like it will work. It inserts a mushroom plug from inside out with a very ingenius tool.
It is not permanent but will definitely get you home .

tire%20kit.jpg

First being new to forums of any sort I just want to know if there a search facility on here because being a newbee I,m sure My questions have been posed before and been answered many times before. Now to my question does any one use tyre sealant I'm going for ride on it seem good they say there is no viabration in the tyres on the move unlike other some makes. Also what about repairing punctured tyres I know manufacturers say get a new tyre but as a trained truck/car tyre retreader I would have Thought a plug (not just pushed into the tyre) but put through from the inside and covered with a patch would be fine, It works fine for truck and car tyres (even without the plug) but does anyone know about bike tyres. thanks Dave.

As Blanca already mentioned, you can get tire kits for emergencies as shown above. Yes, you can patch a tire, and yes you can plug a tire. However, do you want to risk your life and depend on that plug/patch? Unlike a 4 wheel vehicle, you can control it if the tire or plug detaches. You are going to have a very difficult time is the same happens on your bike. No reason to risk your life in my opinion.

And yes, Search is top center above this thread, right below the advertisement.

These are the repair rules:

http://www.dunloptires.com/care/repair.html

Care & Maintenance — Tire Repair
Tire repair
Any puncture or injury to a tire's tread area obviously affects performance and safety. Proper repair is critical. The puncture must be repaired on both the inside and the outside of the tire. Because all parts of a tire are engineered to function as a single unit, any repair must take that into consideration. Only small, straight-through 3/16" diameter or less punctures in the tread area may be repairable, if no secondary damage has occurred.

NOTE: A tire repair can be properly made only if the tire is removed from the rim; a thorough internal inspection is carried out; and the repair is made from the inside out. A repair must fill and seal the injury, i.e. vulcanized plug and patch. Only specially trained Technicians are qualified to repair a tire. Do not attempt to repair it yourself.
Dunlop Safety Advisory, Speed Rated Tires: Repaired tires must not be used in excess of posted speed limits, in race or other competition. Speed Ratings are not valid for repaired, re-treaded, under-inflated or overloaded, excessively worn, damaged or altered tires.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=13

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected.

No form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

Tire Repair.jpg

Last edited:
Plugs are great as a temporary fix and to get you off the side of the road. But get it checked out by a trusted shop.

I have a string plug kit and a little compressor in my truck because it's quicker and less trouble than getting towed.

I like that kit Blanca has for a bike better than a string plug and it doesn't need a compressor. Gonna have to get one of those.

Hi Dave, welcome to another UK member :bowdown:

We've got a bunch of threads on this topic where we've gone back and forth about plugs vs patches vs goo vs worms.

Thing is on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a nail in your tire is the most common we've seen through the years of patching flats while running the tours. The mushroom kits for punctures have worked the best in our experience, we have used the worms but you need the right type of hole for them to work (based our on experience).

Options:
Stop-n-Go Tire Repair Kits: Fixing a Motorcycle Flat Tire | PashnitMoto

Saiid posted up a kit I sent him that works really well if you opt not to carry an air compressor with you.

Click here to see this kit in action:
How to Fix a Flat Motorcycle Tire | Pashnit Moto

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Img_1634_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1645_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1658_tire_gauge.jpg

Brand new tire with 200 miles on it. 10 minutes & we were back on the road.
Img_1631_cycle_pump2.jpg

If you opt to carry an air compressor with you, here's a shot of just how small the Cycle Pump is.

Img_9442_800.jpg

Img_0362-350.jpg

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Img_1634_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1645_tire_plug.jpg

Img_1658_tire_gauge.jpg

Img_0362-350.jpg

Img_1631_cycle_pump2.jpg

Img_9442_800.jpg

When you are running the cycle pump, do you have to have the bike running so it doesn't drain the battery?

When you are running the cycle pump, do you have to have the bike running so it doesn't drain the battery?

Jason, come to think about it, we've never worried about that. We just plugged it in and pumped up the tire. The Cycle Pump has a little more oomph that the cheapy pumps. The cheap ones will actually say 'will pump up tire in about 10 minutes'. We've never waited 10 minutes while it was running, the Cycle Pump is rated at 100+ PSI & has always pumped our tires right up within a few minutes. No change to the battery. :)

The Cycle Pumps are really popular with the dual-sport owners. Pavement ends and they air down the tires. Ride the fire roads or dirt track- get back on pavement and everyone pulls out the Cycle Pumps and airs the tires back up and off they go. :thumbsup:

I have a SAE universal outlet on the backside of the busa, so I can just plug it in and turn it on.

Img_3915-pump.jpg

Some of the flats we've had while traveling, this top one was at 8400 ft and my buddy cut his tire on a rock but we were able to patch it. Bottom one here was really bad hole that Tim & I fixed on the side of the road. We were about 400 miles from home but he rode the bike home but re-patched it like 3 times as he just had the worm kit.

Img_4973-CyclePump.jpg

I've got this one: PKT-001-24. 17 bucks and you can plug your battery tender into it too.

Buy Now: Powerlet Luggage Elextrix Wire Adapters | Pashnit Moto

PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg

Img_3915-pump.jpg

Img_4973-CyclePump.jpg

PKT-001-24_p_348_webl.jpg

Back