Type of fork oil

keilms

Registered
Hello guys,

I'm about to change my oil seals on my hayabusa and would like to know what type of fork oil that you are putting in and where i could find it online.

Thanks

5W fork oil is stock and 7W can also be used. I wouldn't go to 10W, as the higher the number and thicker the oil the slower the forks will operate. There are several brands and almost anywhere that sells motorcycle parts sells it. You'll need 3 quarts, as each fork will hold just over one.
Honda East Justin is a site sponsor and works at a dealership in Ohio. He has great prices if you want to order oem oil. Bel Ray Oils has also been around forever and they are easily found, especially on ebay.
:welcome: Everything you need to know can be found on this site, and you can also download the factory service manual here for free.

I wouldn't go to 10W, as the higher the number and thicker the oil the slower the forks will operate.

You'll need 3 quarts, as each fork will hold just over one.

Actually, 10w works quite well, especially in hot climates. It doesn't make the forks operate slower. What it does do is give your compression and rebound valves a broader upper range for controling the spring. If you install heavier springs without upgrading the valves it's wise to go to 10w oil in order to control the spring.

Oil needed is just over one quart. If you are a light weight it's common to use less oil than factory specs which takes a little stiffness out of the fork.

If you are a wheelie guy, I'd recommend reducing the fork oil by 10-20cc which reduces the chance of seal failure.

I just put in Race Tech's gold valves and heavier springs and used their Ultra Slick fork oil. It was 10W.

Actually, 10w works quite well, especially in hot climates. It doesn't make the forks operate slower. What it does do is give your compression and rebound valves a broader upper range for controling the spring. If you install heavier springs without upgrading the valves it's wise to go to 10w oil in order to control the spring.

Oil needed is just over one quart. If you are a light weight it's common to use less oil than factory specs which takes a little stiffness out of the fork.

If you are a wheelie guy, I'd recommend reducing the fork oil by 10-20cc which reduces the chance of seal failure.

I stand corrected...ya learn somethin new everyday:thumbsup:

Hello guys,

I'm about to change my oil seals on my hayabusa and would like to know what type of fork oil that you are putting in and where i could find it online.

Thanks

Just a suggestion.

Good money spent for anyone with a Busa is aftermarket fork springs when having the forks apart for seals. Something to think about especially if your a corner carver where stock springs just don't cut it. . Only 100 bucks give or take.

Because one brands advertised viscosity can sometimes be alot different than anothers @40 and 100c to include the actual vi index- i stick with one brand and sometimes blend viscosities .

I use Maxima fork oil . Works well and the price is right. MaximaUSA has the data sheet and most the online stores sell it.

i weigh 60kg (132lbs) and have a 2011 busa. has 30K miles, going for my 3rd track day, ride daily. not an aggressive rider but like to corner. getting the fork oil changed. live in GA, so hot. should i go with 7W or 10W, make of oil (Maxima?).
Thanks

I went with the racetech fork oil as well but just because I was installing race tech springs and gold valve components and it was recommended by the technician

Gen1 busa here, 90kgs of rider weight, bike is stock, apart from gen2 rear shock. Upgraded forks with 1.0 springs and 10W oil. Works perfect.

don't just go by the W rating...few oils of same W value actually work the same.
10w racetech isn't the same as 10w ohlins or Silkolene.
10w Silkolene is like 20w compared to racetech's....shop used 10w Silkolene on my Gen 1 after fork seals and it was rock hard...barely moved at all so diluted it down with some 2.5w to just above a 5w rate.
you can use these as a rough guide... Marketing, Public Relations & Press Release Communications by MediaTurbo
Comparative Oil Weights Table - Transmoto

Draggin up an old post here I know. 10w oil DOES NOT work in standard forks. It almost locks them out which is extremely dangerous. 5w is a little thicker than the standard L01 oil, and I would evem use caution if using this. If there is little or no dive you risk skidding the front wheel when braking and then you are off.

Draggin up an old post here I know. 10w oil DOES NOT work in standard forks. It almost locks them out which is extremely dangerous. 5w is a little thicker than the standard L01 oil, and I would evem use caution if using this. If there is little or no dive you risk skidding the front wheel when braking and then you are off.

Not true
5w comes stock in the Busa.
10w Will work in the stock forks.

Its actually less than a 5w as standard. A 10w Silkolene oil 36 mm/s viscosity almost locks out the fork on a Gen 1 standard fork. I know, as I have just done it and it DOES NOT work at all.

I added a 10w based on what is written here and it is incorrect for a standard fork.

With all due respect that would not make a blind bit of difference, but, yes since you asked sag is correctly set.

The 10w Silkolene fork oil is simply too thick to run easily through the tiny orifices within the standard forks.

With all due respect that would not make a blind bit of difference, but, yes since you asked sag is correctly set.

The 10w Silkolene fork oil is simply too thick to run easily through the tiny orifices within the standard forks.

If the sag is wrong it Would make all the difference.
Not in how the oil traveled in the forks, but how the forks respond and feel.
I have used 5w and 7w in several forks, as well as different brands of oil.
I have never used 10w fork oil.
I also have never received Any bad info from tufbusa, who is a track coach.
Suspension is kinda his specialty.
Apparently whatever brand oil you tried was indeed too thick for your application.
But I have never heard of it before.

Back