Turn signal decals

SHIRO HAYABUSA

Registered
I've had this idea of leds sketching in plastic for awhile. Then, I came across a thread where someone etched a kanji in their hump and placed leds and mirrors on the inside to reflect the light back out of the etching. Owner before me had the tank and plastics painted white and was going to do a red on white theme so he left bike blank and never put the decals on. Here's what I'm thinking.......

Can I take the Kanji decals and trace them to the plastic much like the previously referenced thread, dremel them out, and place lights on the inside and hook that up to my turn signals and running lights? I'm sure the setup is feasible and functional but I was wondering about the nooks and crannies that are on a kanji sign and how that would translate to the side fairings (flimsy?). Do you guys think this will have much impact on the strength of the fairings?

To clear things up I'm wanting to have etched kanjis in both sides that light via switch and turn signals. When they are lit i want them to look black from a back plating of a heat resistant plastic. Outside of that, what other concerns might you guys have? I really wanna make this happen this has been bouncing in my head for several years now. All thoughts, criticisms, or judgments are welcome. I'm wanting to do this right the first time.

To do it right and make it look very good you're going to need more than a dremel. A laser etch job would be ideal so that the smoked acrylic that I'm guessing you're wanting to use would be the identical size as your Kanji cut out (also needing to be done with more than a dremel) with no mismatched edges. The only other method I could think of would be to use a pourable mold that would fill in the cut out but I somehow doubt it would be all that great compared to using a solid piece of either lexan or plex (lexan would be less likely to crack but long term, don't know how it will hold up after taking a beating from the weather and UV rays). Even plex wears out over time.

Fastfrog: thanks for the Drastik Plastix link. I emailed them. (fingers crossed this might just work out) I know it can be done that's just my mentality and it will be done. I just want it done right. In time, I'm sure. thanks for the help thus far. Anybody else.......
Any sponsors that can do this or know who I can talk to?

Back