Plastidip for the busa

K-Horn

Registered
Plastidip is nothing new but I really love this stuff. Once I get new plastics and the seat cowl I will have them painted like this. Gonna do the hayabusa kanji (symbol only) on the sides in gloss black. Do the wheels, levers and exhaust in gloss black. Also, the footrests, brackets and all the bolts that show will be flat black. Smoke the lights and turn signals and it should be decent looking.

1559636_10202350850325795_1168113518_n.jpg

Yep.......I got it for $6 per can at home depot. Around here Lowes and Ace Hardware carries it too. I used 6 cans on mine. If you haven't seen plastidip before, just do a search on youtube. Awesome stuff. Peels off if you get tired of it and it protects the original paint.

I plan on trying it also but I'd like more feed back on well it lasts.

I had it on my wheels on my last truck for about 2 years with no issues. Did curb check it once and it was easy to fix that one spot. However, I am not sure how it will last on the tank where my legs and jacket rubs. I used about a can and a half on the tank.....which really it only took a half a can to cover it. Did the same on the rear fairing since I 2 up with my wife alot so her legs rub there. Will update this post in a few months to let everyone know how well it is keeping up.

I plasti-dipped the wheels on the VW Beetle my wife drives and she loves it. The people that mess it up are just trying to rush and/or did not prep properly.

Just be careful with gas if you plastidip the tank. Gas eats through the plastidip. Very cool product.

is there any prep to it or is it just a spray and your done?

Only prep I did was wash the parts with dawn dish soap to get any grease off. Then I did 3 light coats (could still mostly see the oem paint) then 3 really thick coats. And when I say thick I mean soaking wet.....this stuff doesn't run or orange peel as fast as regular paint.

My frame is silver. But I did the black matte plastidip on it.

Still good after 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dipped my passenger pegs last fall and still lookin' good. Although I don't ride with a passenger so there really isn't any reason for it to peel. I may try them out on the rearsets to see how they hold up.

The stuff holds up well as long it's not being rubbed on something. Tried it out on my truck and riding mower 3 years ago and holding strong with an occasional spot check here and there.

The stuff holds up well as long it's not being rubbed on something. Tried it out on my truck and riding mower 3 years ago and holding strong with an occasional spot check here and there.

You did the riding mower? That sounds like a good rainy day project, any pictures?

Plasti dip works as long as you take the time to completely de-wax and de-grease what ever you put it on. I have had the emblems on the wifes edge plasti dipped for over a year now and it has not faded or peeled. Also have plenty of ventilation when you spray, plasti dip has more fumes than regular paint.

You did the riding mower? That sounds like a good rainy day project, any pictures?

I used to have pictures before my son broke my lap top. The matte black looks great over my destroyed red 88' honda harmony plastics. The only downside is dirt. I have to hose it down every once in a while.

Plasti dip works as long as you take the time to completely de-wax and de-grease what ever you put it on. I have had the emblems on the wifes edge plasti dipped for over a year now and it has not faded or peeled. Also have plenty of ventilation when you spray, plasti dip has more fumes than regular paint.
I recommend rubbing alcohol.:beerchug:

Turps is good for prep also. I plasti dipped some parts... If youre fussy about the finish spend heaps of time on prep.

I plastidipped some plastic parts, I used 5 layers of automotive clearcoat over it. The color is great and it's pretty stiff. I think it'll outlast the normal coating that has no clearcoat.

Back