Turbo or Supercharger?

HayaGreg

Donating Member
Registered
Is it just me or have I misunderstood the difference between a turbo setup and a supercharger. From my auto shop days, a turbo was driven by a belt, like a "blown" chevy. A supercharger was driven by exhaust, like you daddy's buick.
Have I missed something in the last 30 years?

Is it just me or have I misunderstood the difference  between a turbo setup and a supercharger. From my auto shop days, a turbo was driven by a belt, like a "blown" chevy. A supercharger was driven by exhaust, like you  daddy's buick.
Have I missed something in the last 30 years?
I think you have it backwards.

Did I mention I flunked auto shop?
Um... no. did you?
rock.gif

No, just kidding. We didn't have access to such high performance gizmos.
We were stuck milling heads, boring cylinders, etc. Worked, but was a lot of work.
Now, if I understand right, you just boost a stock engine 8psi and hold on:O

heh ya you have it backwards...

turbo is driven by exhaust, supercharger by a belt...

-Roo

what roo said, Turbo=exhaust, supercharger=belt
Just think of fast and furious. one was turbo and one was supercharger.

From what i've read superchargers are easier and cheaper to fix if they blow, also they give instant power, the turbo has to spool up till you get max boost. I think the sound of a supercharger is cooler too!

From what i've read superchargers are easier and cheaper to fix if they blow, also they give instant power, the turbo has to spool up till you get max boost.  I think the sound of a supercharger is cooler too!
Except on a Busa you do not have a drive pully to drive a belt...........

superchargers cheaper to fix? Completely depends on the how they blow up. A rebuild kit for a turbo is only $100 for most turbo's. But if you destroy the housing, the center section, or the turbine/compressor itself, well, all of that is a different situation.

I would bet its pretty simular on a supercharger. But then, the preference is to design the system and tune it so thats not something you ever have to worry about.

My first attempt at a turbo system (home made) I guess I wasn't careful enough while welding, to keep the oil galleys taped off while welding everything together. I got some slag into the bearing area of the turbo and blew it up...not once, not twice, yes, three times. Let me tell you, that gets expensive REAL fast. Three turbo's within a week!

Needless to say, I was a LOT more careful on every project I've had since.....and now I run a filter on the turbo input. Its amazing how little metal it takes to completely destroy a turbo in seconds. I have thankfully had no problems whatsoever since then.

If a turbo is belt driven, why would it have to spool up. Seems like the exhaust driven one would lag. Just wondering.

Turbo's are exhaust gas driven, right from the header. The spool up time is just because at low rpms, the turbo is just easing along and not compressing(forcing) extra air into the intake plenum.

Turbo's are exhaust gas driven, right from the header. The spool up time is just because at low rpms, the turbo is just easing along and not compressing(forcing) extra air into the intake plenum.
Correct..., but unlike a car the shot turbo systems spool up fast on a bike.

...and that is why some cars have twin turbo or bi-turbo
a small one that spool up faster for low rpm pick up and a bigger one to pick up the higher rev...

...i think
rock.gif

Supercharged Hayabusa

The above link is to TTS Perfromance Engineering. They sell Superchargers for the Busa. IT costs 2600 pounds which is about $4700.00 U.S. below is a picture of it. looks pretty cool to me...

Supercharged_Busa.jpg

Nice looking setup...Just read their promo...Reads as if a basic turbo system setup porperly will out perform the blower in it's basic form...The blower also needs a spacer to lower the compression where the basic turbo does not...Would be an eye catcher thou...
evil.gif

Back