I'm new to turbos, any help

BBlue Silver

Registered
G' Day, I haven't had anything to do with turbos, only superchargers (limited). This is a dumb question but how do they actualy work. Are they driven of the exhust gases? Are they like a two stroke where the power comes on high up in the reves. If I was after 280 rear wheel horse power would a stock motor handel it or would you need some internal mods? The bike is also to be used for sreet riding as well.

motorheads kit is capable of 280 rwhp but you would need an innercooler or water injection and run race gas, but would all be possible on a completely internally stock motor.

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106187618 -->

Well from what I have seen and heard over the last two years? Here's how they work... They take perfectly good fast bikes, and make them really frustrating Garage Ornaments...

They sound cool, add loads of "Street Cred", but it seems that every time someone really rides their Turbo Busa? Things go BOOM/Rattle/Clang...
sad.gif

Sorry Doc, Stunnah, Cecil.... But after listening to you guys over the last year or so.... Hell I've even sworn off turbo Cars...
laugh.gif

motorheads kit is capable of 280 rwhp but you would need an innercooler or water injection and run race gas, but would all be possible on a completely internally stock motor.
No at 280hp you don't need an intercooler or water, althogh water injection will help. You need water for a little protection if you go above 280hp. Almost all of the turbo kits will get you 260-280hp right of the bat. Internals are always good to do if you can.

Well from what I have seen and heard over the last two years?  Here's how they work... They take perfectly good fast bikes, and make them really frustrating Garage Ornaments...  

They sound cool, add loads of "Street Cred", but it seems that every time someone really rides their Turbo Busa?  Things go BOOM/Rattle/Clang...  
sad.gif

Sorry Doc, Stunnah, Cecil....  But after listening to you guys over the last year or so....  Hell I've even sworn off turbo Cars...  
laugh.gif
And then you have turbos that go 20,000 -30,000 miles before you have do some over-hauls. It is in how you push them. No one including myself just leaves them alone, but pushes for just a little more. Rev, makes a good point though lots of stuff to learn before you do.

No at 280hp you don't need an intercooler or water, althogh water injection will help. You need water for a little protection if you go above 280hp. Almost all of the turbo kits will get you 260-280hp right of the bat. Internals are always good to do if you can.
ok ok my choice of words weren't quite correct...

you don't HAVE to but it would be very wise.

Well from what I have seen and heard over the last two years?  Here's how they work... They take perfectly good fast bikes, and make them really frustrating Garage Ornaments...  

They sound cool, add loads of "Street Cred", but it seems that every time someone really rides their Turbo Busa?  Things go BOOM/Rattle/Clang...  
sad.gif

Sorry Doc, Stunnah, Cecil....  But after listening to you guys over the last year or so....  Hell I've even sworn off turbo Cars...  
laugh.gif
And then you have turbos that go 20,000 -30,000 miles before you have do some over-hauls.  It is in how you push them.  No one including myself just leaves them alone, but pushes for just a little more.  Rev, makes a good point though lots of stuff to learn before you do.
I know this sounded like a slam... Wasn't meant to really...   It's just that after feeling the Frustration from Doc, and Stunnah, combined with a posts on other boards and lately Cecil?  Any thoughts I had of Turbo charging, are long gone...  At least not without a complete engine/Drivetrain build to go along with it for another $5k...

I don't think I would have the patience for it, and I would end up on a Big ole' BMW out in the dirt Touring the wilds of the West for days on end...  
thumbs-up.gif

I'll take an all motor route if I get the urge for more oomph...  Bump the compression, slight bore increase, some forged and Ti bits.   Balance it, tune it, Be done with it...  Heck I should be able to get a stone reliable 230HP or so for prolly about $5k worth of hard parts, labor, and tuning....  He he he...  

I guess this is why turbo's are popular...  More Bang for the Buck...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106238127 -->

sad.gif

laugh.gif
And then you have turbos that go 20,000 -30,000 miles before you have do some over-hauls.  It is in how you push them.  No one including myself just leaves them alone, but pushes for just a little more.  Rev, makes a good point though lots of stuff to learn before you do.
I know this sounded like a slam... Wasn't meant to really...   It's just that after feeling the Frustration from Doc, and Stunnah, combined with a posts on other boards and lately Cecil?  Any thoughts I had of Turbo charging, are long gone...  At least not with a complete engine/Drivetrain build to go along with it for another $5k...

I don't think I would have the patience for it, and I would end up on a Big ole' BMW out in the dirt Touring the wilds of the West for days on end...  
thumbs-up.gif

I'll take an all motor route if I get the urge for more oomph...  Bump the compression, slight bore increase, some forged and Ti bits.   Balance it, tune it, Be done with it...  Heck I should be able to get a stone reliable 230HP or so for prolly about $5k worth of hard parts, labor, and tuning....  He he he...  

I guess this is why turbo's are popular...  More Bang for the Buck...
No I did not take it as a slam. You ae right on this issue. Oce all of us start touching trouble can start. Also tune tune tune by a good tuner, can not be mentioned enough. It is imortant for turbo newbies to know that the can have problems, but also they can have a good bike if they keep the power on the lower side. I see a couple of newbies with the turbos headed for some troble.

Back