Turbo hopes dashed..what next..?

Vindaloobeast

Registered
Evening all. Having finally got all the money together for a Holeshot Stage 3 Turbo kit for my 2007 Busa I have fallen at the final hurdle........insurance. I cannot find any company in the UK to insure the proposed Turbo bike. Most just laugh when I tell them what I want to do but I dont want to lie to the insurers in case of a claim. I lost all my NCB as Ive had classic policies recently but even so thats not the problem..its the power. I have had some quotes but Im not paying over £1000 for insurance when my mileage will be very low per annum.

..so..Im seeking next best thing.

Im thinking full Yoshimura USA carbon dual outlet pipe, power commander and either a piper cross or K and N filter. What is best policy with the PAIR system...leave it or junk it..? Im not going to do the flapper valve mod.

I am the fussiest person alive when it comes to throttle response so it needs to be spot on and a real crisp set up.........what works guys...?

Regards..Vindy.

OK, I gotta ask a couple questions and hopefully you can help me see....

What makes a stage 3 turbo kit? As I understand it stage1 has a FMU. Stage 2 has secondary injectors. What is included in a stage 3?

I don't claim the turbo on my bike insurance. As far as they know its a stock busa and only I know it is a 300hp bike. Is it necessary for you to claim the turbo and pay the big $$ for coverage?

So your going from stage 3 turbo want to a full Yoshimura USA carbon dual outlet pipe, power commander and filter???? That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE of at least 150hp, have you talked to Big CC racing in the UK about some ideas that may help you out on how to have a turbo and deal with insurance?

What about an NOS system? Don't tell anyone you don't want to know (I did that for years on one bike I owned and it was really fast yet the motor lasted for years). Relatively easy to take off too!

I don't claim the turbo on my bike insurance. As far as they know its a stock busa and only I know it is a 300hp bike. Is it necessary for you to claim the turbo and pay the big $$ for coverage?

And when you get in an accident and they don't cover you due to this you are screwed.

Heres the link to Holeshot Holeshot Racing : Motorcycle tuning, engine tuning, turbocharging, dynojet rolling road, mapping, hayabusa turbo, turbo hayabusa, land speed record, dynojet, powercommander, motec, dynojet northern ireland, dyno testing northern ireland, turbo motorc

I have been on the phone for hours trying to get insurance. Jack at Holeshot has given me some info for a UK insurer however they have refused to insure me with a Turbo bike.

Im gutted because Ive saved for ages for the parts and dont want to compromise.....I could lie but thats illegal right....;)

At least Im not rioting on the streets of England...!

Where would you draw the line? Do you tell your insurance about a 5hp gain from full exhuast?

They are only going to cover what you tell them, right?

At those rates he could buy a new turbo in a couple of months.

In the UK if you even mention modified it gets hard...I found some insurance today for £360 for my Busa and LC and they will be ok with a pipe..

Just make sure if something happens she goes down soft :whistle:

Even out here you have to be careful. My buddy had haggerty on his chevelle for years, 120k agreed value and someone happened to pickup a issue of popular hot rodding magazine and saw the bottle in his trunk and they dropped him fast!!!

Be really careful if you do find an insurance co that will cover you, they can say all day long they will cover the aftermarket but get it in writing, i learned that the hard way was told as long as i kept reciepts if something were to happen id be reimbursed... I lost 12k on my 02 dodge because of it

And when you get in an accident and they don't cover you due to this you are screwed.

They'll still cover you (unless there's a written byline in the fine print saying they won't), just not the price of the aftermarket stuff.
Total it (or it gets stolen), you get book value for a stock bike, and are SOL for what you've got tied up in mods.
You want the turbo and such covered, you have to tell them, most of the time have to produce receipts for said aftermarket items proving cost, to insure it for the additional $$ amount. That extra coupla grand in mods can easily double your premiums though. Question is, how long will it take to spend more on coverage for the extras, than you paid for them in the first place?

I'll tell you how this works. Simple answer... Just put the damn turbo on, go stealth, hide it under the fairing. Ok, now, God forbid you wreck but if something happened that way, you have the final authority over where YOUR bike is delivered that YOU own. Have the wrecker take it to your house, or shop, whatever. Disassemble the turbo setup, put it back to stock and put your turbo stuff away. Have your insurance adjuster come out and look at the bike. You spook too easy man, easy as pie :beerchug:

They'll still cover you (unless there's a written byline in the fine print saying they won't), just not the price of the aftermarket stuff.
Total it (or it gets stolen), you get book value for a stock bike, and are SOL for what you've got tied up in mods.
You want the turbo and such covered, you have to tell them, most of the time have to produce receipts for said aftermarket items proving cost, to insure it for the additional $$ amount. That extra coupla grand in mods can easily double your premiums though. Question is, how long will it take to spend more on coverage for the extras, than you paid for them in the first place?

Thats probably pretty accurate. With houses, if you over or under insure your property beyone a certain limit, usually if your not within 80% of the actual value of the home, you get penalties. I don't know if something similar to that applies with motorcycles, cars, etc though

If your insurance will cover all the mods then you get screwed every month you pay the high $$ insurance coverage and never get in an accident. I have a 06, what do you think is the replacement value to begin with? Its not much for starters.

I have had my turbo for enough time living in a major city that I have saved enough money in insurance cost to have purchased another turbo kit.

Vindaloobeast - thanks for the linky on stage 3 kits. I hope you find a way to get the turbo bike you originally wanted. A boosted busa is absolutely a wild and controllable ride like you can't even imagine. I would say put a bottle of giggle juice and spray at least 70hp to get an idea of some low boosted fun once in a while to hold you over. Best of luck to you :thumbsup:

Thanks Megawatt..I had a GSXR1100K with a V and M Racing motor and a 50 shot of NOS and at the time it was good. I have been saving for ages for the turbo kit so really want to do it. I found out this week that race fuel is £75 a tank locally which Jack says must be used for high boost or mixed with pump gas for lower boost on the Stage 3 kit..:whistle:

Im still searching because I know I wont be happy with just a pipe. I have been told that a local shop would be willing to put me on their trade insurance for a small fee but its a bit dodgy cos I dont know them that well and I would never know if the policy lapsed or if for some reason I was taken off...!!

Vindy.

I agree that who would ever know? That is, related to the insurance folks. I think it would be easy to remove it if you had to, before an adjuster or shop would access any damage the results of a crash. BTW, ck out this TURBOBYKE, it is built with STOCK exhaust and no visible turbo plumbing....235 hp, belongs to our friend Terry, Stampede attendee and org member. Talk about a sleeper! Raydog

IMG_0773.jpg

The trouble with me is I like to flaunt it. Nice digital boost contoller on the dash and a stubby pipe hanging out of the fairing...rules are rules..!:rulez:

I agree with the big bore kit. It is not seen at all from the outside and you will get a nice performance pop. So, no insurance issues no matter what!

when u save for something that long you’re not going to be satisfied for anything less than what u wanted in the first place, its a tuff call it would su$K to have an insurance company tell u your not insured because u have one on it, bummer good luck in your quest.

Back