triple tree/fork missaligned?

Hate to resurrect but my buddy laid mine down and cracked the fender and the triple tree has been not perceptively off but truly off by about 10 degrees clockwise. I checked for bent handlebars, no. I measured the distances between the spacings of fork/clamps, fork tubes and everything. I tried the trick of the triple tree clamps and couldnt get them to straighten although it might have helped some. It rides fine. I put it all back together and bought a lower triple. I think that it might be twisted as now that all the tweaking that I could do hasnt helped, the stop on the frame on the left side does not prevent the handlebars from swinging into the gas tank. It goes about an 1/8th too far. If you loosen the top bolt for the lower triple tree, can you change the alignment slightly? Edit: I have not installed the new lower triple yet.
Loosen the upper and lower pinch bolts on the trees. Loosen the big nut on top of the trees. Now bump the front wheel to the left or right make the bars straight with the wheel When it looks straight then tighten it all up. If that don't work you have a bent fork tube.

Thanks. I did not try loosening the big nut yet, I dont have the tool/socket, will have to get from Suzuki tmrw. Prolly amazing what they want for that, wish I could get at Lowes. It did seem weird to me that that lower triple as beefy as that thing looks would bend before anything else.

If something is off, you need to disassemble the front end completely, and inspect everything. Fork tubes in V blocks with dial indicator.
The tubes could be just slightly twisted in the clamps, but that is usually not the case.

If something is off, you need to disassemble the front end completely, and inspect everything. Fork tubes in V blocks with dial indicator.
The tubes could be just slightly twisted in the clamps, but that is usually not the case.

I have actually seen more twisted in the clamps than bent forks. But I've had a lot of wrecked ones.

Took it as far as it could go. Bent fork tube. I bought a right one as I think that is the side that took the hit but who knows. I do know that the left part of the frame is the one that swings too far and goes into the gas tank. I guess if it isnt the right fork, I wont see any change. I dont see how it could be the triple. That thing is pretty tough and the guy didnt slam it that hard.

Perhaps ensure the rear tire is aligned.. if it tracks to the side it will force the front to compensate..

-D

Done, replaced both forks and it ended up being the lower triple that was bent, although impossible to tell by eye. Now the only problem is the 2 used gold forks are a different shade due to the sun and don't match. Not a showstopper but something odd looking. Don't know what to do about that. Brasso?

Back