triple tree/fork missaligned?

Busa Rookie

Banned
hey guys i was looking at my triple tree/bars today.. noticed with the wheel straight (hence bike going straight forwards) the bars are faced to the right? how can i straighten them out?

you dont, something is bent. everything on a busa is bolted together, i.e. there is no adjustment.

Isn't this a used bike you just bought?
If so,, sounds like the bike hit something!

yeah. it's used.. tracks straight though.. i'll upgrade everything up front when i get around to it.. nothing can be as pricey as the car i got out of.. & extra cash on gas/insurance will fund rebuilding of everything hopefully by winter. lol

Better do a real good inspection of everything up front though. Sounds like they hit something pretty hard to do that.

i checked it out as best as i visually could, the one side fork seal is leaking very very small amount of oil.. the rest of it is fine, frame sure seems straight, she runs smooth unless you're on a bad road.

so will just rebuild with new forks or seals if anything until i find out what's bent exactly then start from there

i wouldn't try to bend anything.....i rode a buddys liter bike with a bent fork and it was crazy....whenever i went over a speed bump the bike would rebound to the side instead of traveling up and down....if your gunna be riding it like that at all be very careful....GL

I'm curious as to how you know your wheel is straight when you measure the bars?

How far out are the bars bent from the tip?

The reason I ask is the bars may not be tweaked at all, it may be that your visual alignment of the tire is skewed?

If it were me, I'd do a stringline alignment of the front and rear tire then measure the bar ends distance to the tank so I'd know exactly how far out of alignment the bars were. If indeed the bars don't align with the tire either the forks or triple tree is likely tweaked.

If you can get it on a lift you might be able to tell more about it. Maybe ever a front stand would work. Anything to get it straight

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

The 2000 project FrankenBusa I am working on was wrecked when I acquired it, and the bars were tweaked ever so slightly. I loosened up the triple clamp, and bounced the front end up and down a few times and tightened everything back up and all was good. Try that first, it does not take much to get the front end out of wack, just dropping it in the grass can do it.

There are several possibilities here,,
First, could just be a bent handle bar
Second, triple trees could but twisted
Third, Triple's could be bent,
Forth, there can be a bent fork leg also

Just by eye, you will not be able to see these problems

Most of these can be checked on a level surface, with set of V block's, and a dial indicator.

il try the options first because she does track straight when i take my hands off the bars/ride one handed.. doesnt pull and when i mean straight i mean there's no force holding it straight, when it hits a pot hole it rebounds fine goes over nice.

just you can feel when you're on a bad road at 42psi tire pressure 500lbs i would immagine everyone could...

nonetheless the tripple tree is probably just crooked because when im riding straight down the road. the tree is facing more clockwise, as if i put the tree straight the bike wheel faces the left.

RedBusarider said:
His signature says 2000 Hayabusa GSX1300R

Lol maybe I should learn to read..... Only reason I asked is I ordered a 08 trip tree when I was repairing a bike and still have it...

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

it has lowering links, plans were to lower it another 1" because i don't weigh enough to get the bike that low
was gonna get a new tree to pull forks through reguardless. not sure if that's the problem.. it's confusing though lol
thanks guys

I loosened up the triple clamp, and bounced the front end up and down a few times and tightened everything back up and all was good. Try that first, it does not take much to get the front end out of wack, just dropping it in the grass can do it.

+1

That's exactly what I did and it worked... :thumbsup:

Hate to resurrect but my buddy laid mine down and cracked the fender and the triple tree has been not perceptively off but truly off by about 10 degrees clockwise. I checked for bent handlebars, no. I measured the distances between the spacings of fork/clamps, fork tubes and everything. I tried the trick of the triple tree clamps and couldnt get them to straighten although it might have helped some. It rides fine. I put it all back together and bought a lower triple. I think that it might be twisted as now that all the tweaking that I could do hasnt helped, the stop on the frame on the left side does not prevent the handlebars from swinging into the gas tank. It goes about an 1/8th too far. If you loosen the top bolt for the lower triple tree, can you change the alignment slightly? Edit: I have not installed the new lower triple yet.

Back