drilling a triple tree??

busa142

Registered
I want to lower the busa. I have looked at the aftermark triple trees, and to me it looks like the only differance is the size of the hole where the forks come through. I have full access to a machine shop, and was wondering if anyone had ever dlilled out the stock triple tree.
rock.gif
Would this make it to weak???

I was wondering the same thing a little while back.....It makes total sense to me, I can't see any other difference either.

Dan

DO NOT DO IT!!!! I repeat DO NOT DO IT!!! THe metal is different on the stock tree. It is thinner and more brittle SOme guy here did it locally. As he was moving the bike (pushing the bike in the garage.) THe clip on broke right the pfuck off. If he was riding he would have died!! Is it worth saving 1-200 bucks?

First off welcome to the family. I heard the same thing. Don't try it, IT WILL BREAK!!! It's not worth your life.
grim.gif

That's good lookin' out busabro!! Didn't you just get a new triple tree, if I remember right it was pretty tight....How much did it run you?

Dan

ive heard the same bad stuff. for those of you who arent sure if you want to lower and dont want to waste money if you dont like it try this.
go to lowes and in the hardware section they have teflon spacers that are 1/2-1-3/8high and you can get longer allen head bolts 6" long and nuts. i stacked 3 on each bolt spacing the upper tree kind of making a bar riser. it maintains the integrity of the factory parts and although it dosent go bling bling you can test lowering the front end safely for less than 10 bucks. ill put up pics tomorrow so you can see what i mean. i did this a rode for about 3 months and adjusted it several times untill i got the height right and then bought the new tree. oh the spacers dont really look that bad and i had some locals do this because they dont like the tubes sticking up and it is cheap and easy

the part that holds the handle bar is too closed. not a good idea to drill. also there are quite a few after market triple tree out there that dont even fit. guy i seen had one and his reservoirs were rubbing on both sides.

UR it Yes i just got mine from myrtlewest cycles off of ebay for $179.99. Looks good and i like it. I actually considered raising my bike back up. Until my buddy stopped by yesterday on his "stock" busa. I sat on it and i will keep her right where she sits. I just stiffened the shock and forks a little to help when i ride a passenger.

Just get one off of ebay. If you want a chromed one, you can get one from Charles at Street -n- Track Imports for about $250. $200 for polished. They also have a black anodized one that looks really hot for $200. Just my .02, but it can sometime be worth a million bucks...or in this case, $200.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help. You guys might have just saved me a huge medical bill....or worse!!
wow.gif
Curiousity would have gotten the best of me!!
biggrin.gif

Back