Tre vs. G-pack

You're welcome kawa87...............

I think what Johnnycheese,is trying to tell you??? It that a TRE will help with 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th gear,but you will still need to remap with a Power Commander to get it right. If you just use the Power Commander,it will fix the problem without buying the TRE. That is why he is telling you that for your money,all you get from the TRE is the removal of the top speed limiter.........

That's what I got from him.............

You're welcome kawa87...............

I think what Johnnycheese,is trying to tell you??? It that a TRE will help with 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th gear,but you will still need to remap with a Power Commander to get it right. If you just use the Power Commander,it will fix  the problem without buying the TRE. That is why he is telling you that for your money,all you get from the TRE is the removal of the top speed limiter.........

That's what I got from him.............
See...that was an easy, straight answer. That's what I look for when I ask questions on the board.

I guess I'm with JC on this one. I never saw the logic in installing devices just because they exist and you have no clue what they do or why you want one.

If the guy was asking for advice about solving a particular problem or how to hit max speed, he would have gotten a better answer.

why do you hit the limiter in 6th all the time?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
That is why I asked this question first.

rock.gif

While we didn't have a chance to sample a Y2K ZX-12R or Hayabusa, our sister pub Motorcyclist conducted the same tests with its 2000 test units a year ago. Oddly enough, while both bikes ran sub-185 mph in perfect desert conditions, no hint of a limiter was found in the dyno room. We know for a fact that the 2001 ZX has updated cams and a black box, so it's a safe bet that last year's bikes were more subtly restricted to avoid attracting attention.
In any event, some phone calls to those in the know, and we had in our hands a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) from Ivan's Rockland County Motorcycle. Turns out the Hayabusa limiter works off gear position and rpm, and Ivan's gizmo informs the ECU it's in fifth gear all the time. Back to the dyno, and the Suzuki spun right to redline in sixth gear. There's an added bonus, too: To protect you from yourself, the 'Busa has different, softer, power curves in the lower gears, and the TRE gives you full steam in every cog-enough of a difference to leave us shaking our heads after our first "derestricted" ride.Turning our attentions back to the Kawasaki, installing a Yellow Box speedometer recalibrator from Black Robotics neatly fools (er...recalibrates) the speedometer and ECU into thinking you're going slower than you actually are. Set it so the speedo reads 10 percent low, and the poor dyno drum will sing happily to 194 mph.

Off to the real world and our high-desert, topspeed test site, we ran both bikes in stock form. No surprises there, the Kawasaki stuttered past the radar gun at 185.6 mph, while the Suzuki moaned to 183.9 mph. Yawn....Resetting the Zed-Ex's Yellow Box yielded a shrieking 190.2-mph blast (with the speedo reading a leisurely 160 miles per), and the TRE-equipped Hayabusa stormed to 192.4 mph. All with a light tailwind, mind you, but in line with our original 'Busa's 189 mph run two years ago.

Back to Big Dogs: 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki ZX-12R

This story originally appeared in the October 2001 issue of Sport Rider.

Hey saberknight, thanks for the link. it was helpful. i mean it.

jump9.gif

aughtsix as far as your post and johnnycheese replies and comments i dont need them.
i really expected more out of this board.very disappointing, i guess what i wanted was some guys that had these different units installed to tell me about their experiences...like if they did like them or not and why...simple post and you guys "with your wisdom" have went off into who knows where with this post. So if any one has had these units and can tell me about their experiences please do...good or bad...all else need not reply.

thanks joey (39 year old kid with '04 busa)
Obviously he can cut and paste and YOU can't Read! Please if you can't be helpful, Don't say a FN thing! Some of us would like to learn, while others such as yourself obviously know everything about everything. IF the TRE is SSSOOOOOO not needed, why does Suzuki sell one? Why does IVAN make them? Why do people on all these messages have them. OBVIOUSLY, you don't want or need it, but maybe some of us might. THANKS for NOTHING!

Suzuki sells one?
rock.gif
?
Damm I don't think so try again
did you click the link I posted it is all there and more if that wasn't enough for you I could post other link but that one sums it up very nicely.
Ivan sells them because for 5.00 in parts he makes how much?? and that is why you see more and more of them. if you really thinks it will make your bike a rocket (it won't and I have explained several times) go to radio shack and for about .87 cents you to can have one to try.

how is this for cut and paste....you are good at sarcasm johhnyfullofcheese lets see if you can follow directions......

i really expected more out of this board.very disappointing, i guess what i wanted was some guys that had these different units installed to tell me about their experiences...like if they did like them or not and why...simple post and you guys "with your wisdom" have went off into who knows where with this post.

So if any one has had these units and can tell me about their experiences please do...good or bad...all else need not reply

So if any one has had these units and can tell me about their experiences please do...good or bad...all else need not reply

Simple rules all you smarta$$e$, lets see if you can follow them

thanks joey (39 year old kid with '04 busa)

poop mate, just relax, take a powder, have a beer!

Most of these people are just trying to give an opinion to help you out. Granted you are probally not used to some of the "personalities" on this site and seem to have taken offence. This is the net, its not real, have some fun.

In an attempt to lend some advice to you in a polite and friendly way here is my own opinion on TRE's:

Like many others I would urge you to save your money, a tre can be made with a 10 cent 6.8kohm resistor.

I made one with a switch so I could monitor the difference.

The biggest difference I found was that the engine ran better when cold.

This was the result of the bike thinking it was in 5th gear and delivering an INCORRECT overly rich fuel map. In effect it was like having a little choke on all the time.(and a little more timing advance) The difference was not "Earth Shattering" as some of the people selling them claim with dubious testimonials.

I feel the bike performed better in standard trim and that most of the hype about TRE's is advertising wank. The dyno does not lie.

If you want smoother fueling, nicer throttle response and a little more HP, put the money aside and save for a PCIIIusb and tune up.

The reason a lot of people bag tre's is that like myself they hate seeing people ripped off and get a little frustrated.

I know this answer does not conform to YOUR SIMPLE RULES but I'm just trying to give you some honest advise. So please just think about what I have suggested in the sprit in which it has been given and try to lose the attitude.

Cheers
Ross

40__s.gif

<!--EDIT|Rosco
Reason for Edit: None given...|1092319701 -->

Try to lose the attitude.....he asked a simple question from people who have these. And the "attitude" comments that were returned were.......

why do you hit the limiter in 6th all the time? ? ?

Quote (kawa87 @ Aug. 10 2004,00:08)
ok guys........quite a few of you have viewed my post and no replies? ?? i am buying one in a few days and would like the pros and cons of each one...thanks...joey

answer the question.
You want answers but without know what you are doing it is hard.
so I posted a question either you can't read or you don't care.
Which is it?

due to you think I am not helping let me help but please next time try not to be so lazy it took a whole 1.2 minutes to find this...

G pak Tre link

I tell you what

Do a search for TRE and after 8 pages tell me there isn't enough info on the subject.

I have said this for over a year that it needs to be a sticky subject due to it is about every other day the same question is asked. Helping is not a problem, but to keep repeating one self because someone is to lazy to use a search to find out a quick answer is just that being lazy

and yet you never answered the question I posed so I could give you an answer.

just for you I went back and looked up all the Busas I dynoed and made maps for. out of them 27 had TRE 's in them only one left after the map was done (he wanted to go do a topend run over 186) all the rest left with the TRE in hand and sold them in other words like I said if you are banging the rev limiter in 6th all the time yes get one. and if you think a $5-90 wire loom will make your bike run great.....Well I also sell beach front property in Las Vegas.
Also to my knowage no one has put all of those on their bike to see which worked better probably due to the all do the same but I did say that also.

Wow I am impressed you can copy and paste as well.
Bravo

Suzuki sells one? ?
Damm I don't think so try again
did you click the link I posted it is all there and more if that wasn't enough for you I could post other link but that one sums it up very nicely.
Ivan sells them because for 5.00 in parts he makes how much?? and that is why you see more and more of them. if you really thinks it will make your bike a rocket (it won't and I have explained several times) go to radio shack and for about .87 cents you to can have one to try.

AND YES I CAN COPY TOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Ross..actually your answer was polite and helpful.....you had one and you told me about it...thanks......that is the kind of reply i was looking for....
beerchug.gif

No worries, just my 2 cents worth.

I just like to keep it nice. Mind you, the thicker your skin the more fun you'll have on this site. Their really good people and theres a lot of good info here.

That in mind, some of the arguments around here nearly have laughing so hard I almost fall off my chair spilling my beer.
jump9.gif

Have fun
Ross
tounge.gif

I'm new to the forum and just got in on the tail end of this TRE subject. I purchased the DIY switchable kit from JSD products. When I installed it I couldn't tell any difference in the performance either by going through the resister or not. At least I didn't spend but like $13 for the kit. I haven't had the opportunity to see if it bypasses the revlimiter. As Roscoe said...it's alot of marketing hype. I bought the TRE to help with some sputtering around 3500 to 4100 rm's in the lower gears and it didn't help at all. ;)

I'm new to the forum and just got in on the tail end of this TRE subject.  I purchased the DIY switchable kit from JSD products.  When I installed it I couldn't tell any difference in the performance either by going through the resister or not.  At least I didn't spend but like $13 for the kit.  I haven't had the opportunity to see if it bypasses the revlimiter.  As Roscoe said...it's alot of marketing hype.  I bought the TRE to help with some sputtering around 3500 to 4100 rm's in the lower gears and it didn't help at all. ;)
To be fair Pete, you do usually feel a littlt difference. Like I said it's most noticable on a cold motor when you switch it in and out. You will get a 5th gear map which is richer cause its expecting ram air ect and the timing advances a little.

The way some people go on about the difference I sometimes wonder weather its a little psychosomatic or I just dont ride it right to feel the diff.

My main objection is the price mfrs are charging for what is a relitively unsophisticated piece of equipment.

All a tre can ever do is tel your bike its in a different gear.
And all the smart ones do is to tell it its in a different gear at different times.

Not somthing I would like to pay $100US for.

Again just my opnion.

I think this is the last time I'll crap on about this subject, its starting to give me head pains.

More beer time.

Cheers Ross
drink.gif
jump9.gif

Back