Transmission Question

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I had 200 miles on the new '06 prior to today. I have spent the first 200 miles under 3000 rpm, just kinda learning the bike and taking it VERY easy.

Today, took it down to the beach (and sweated my a** off in all that leather) and in the process had a chance to get the rpms up a tick and let it have some fun on the agricultural backroads of 'Bama - iced a pack of Harleys on an on ramp too.

Now, going into this I noticed the gears were a bit tricky. Had to run the Rs up a bit to coax a smooth shift out of it but after some time they seemed to shift easier (this was prior to today). Today, at RPMs that were at or near the paltry 4000 that we are supposed to adhere to until 800 miles the tranny was a total bit** to shift. There were tons of "false neutrals" and the shift from 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th seemed to be a sort of two stage affair with one upward click then another. I thought I was gonna need to reach down and grab the shift lever with my left hand a couple of times to get into the the next gear.

Guess my question is this; am I breaking in the tranny too? Is this typical of new Busas or do I have an issue here that I should mention at the break in service (which, despite my hands on tendacies will happen for warranty and dealership computer reasons)?

I have NEVER ridden a bike like this before, only cruisers, and dont know if what I am feeling with the gears is standard issue engineering on this type of bike (bred to spend a lot time at RPMs WAY above where it has been) or not but I wanted to ask all of you who I know can set me straight and give me your thoughts. Honestly, the way it shifts is a little hard to tolerate - you really gotta pull up on that lever sometimes.

Other than that, the beach is great this time of year and I loved watching people walk up and check the bike out - too cool!

Thanks in advance for any experience here!!!

Check out linkage and make sure nothing is loose[common on 05]False neutral between 5 and 6 is common during breakin,mine did it occasionly till around 2000 miles,as far as the 2 stage shifts dont know about that

The trans will shift smoother once you get some more miles on the bike 1500-2000
wink.gif

The factory break in is.....for the first 600 miles 5500RPM max....600-800 miles 8000RPM max....after 800 miles let her RIP  
race.gif

Don't baby your bike during break in....ride it like you stole it  
super.gif

Change oil to full synthetic, this will help alot but you will still get the 5th gear false neutral every now and then, when you're being lazy.

+1 on the ride it like you stole it! You can't hurt that engine. If you stomp on the gear change lever, you can mess up the shift forks, don't stomp on it.

Lube the linkage & insure the pivot shaft is tight. Also adjust the shift lever down so that when your in your normal ride position it rests on your boot top. Be sure to shift with authority. MY 5-6 was a bit spotty when the bike was new. Reading this board I found out it was normal. I took it out on the interstate & shifted between 5 & 6 about a 100 times. Its been working real good ever since.

Change oil to full synthetic, this will help alot but you will still get the 5th gear false neutral every now and then, when you're being lazy.
Absolutely. My '06 has almost 1,500 miles and I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic @ 700 miles. The tranny notchyness is almost entirely gone now regardless of my shift points.
race.gif

" break in " is a mythe that bike came out of the crate ready to rock !
drive it like you stole it !
if its gonna break , let it break with under 600 miles on it , dont baby it till it has 5000 miles

I agree magazines take bikes straight out the box and run the pea out of them. I changed my oil to syn. Mobil1 mx4t around 470mis. Figured the breakin oil had been in long enough.

That kind of shifting isn't normal at any mileage with any kind of oil. Having to ram the shifter several times to get it into gear isn't going to cure itself overtime. Take it back to the dealer and have them go through it. Sounds like you may have a bad/bent shift fork. If you're lucky it may be something simple like air needing to be bled from the clutch. Have you tried upshifting without using the clutch? If so does it click it easy everytime?

Also break it in like the manual tells you to. Push it HARD in the allowed RPM range but never hold a constant RPM or lug the engine in a high gear. If you intend to keep the bike 50K, 70K or 100K miles you'll be glad you did. If you're like a magazine test guy who gets the bike for free and gives it back after 1K miles, wail on it!

That kind of shifting isn't normal at any mileage with any kind of oil.  Having to ram the shifter several times to get it into gear isn't going to cure itself overtime.  Take it back to the dealer and have them go through it.  Sounds like you may have a bad/bent shift fork.  If you're lucky it may be something simple like air needing to be bled from the clutch.  Have you tried upshifting without using the clutch?  If so does it click it easy everytime?

Also break it in like the manual tells you to.  Push it HARD in the allowed RPM range but never hold a constant RPM or lug the engine in a high gear.  If you intend to keep the bike 50K, 70K or 100K miles you'll be glad you did.  If you're like a magazine test guy who gets the bike for free and gives it back after 1K miles, wail on it!
Well, this is the post I was dreading...

I will do what all of yall mentioned. With the possible exception of pouring synthetic in as a break in oil.

I have a Busa owner in Central Alabama who I might be able to coax into visiting me and taking her for ride for an eval....

We'll see!

My '05 busa did the same thing. i waited for 1,000, then 2,000 then 3,000 miles but it slipped into strange neutrals between 5th and 6th. I asked around and the dealer recommended simply adjust the shifter linkage abit so that it rests lower and when clicked up it would travel up farther and be sure to lock correctly into the next gear. i was doubtful that this was the fix needed. Well i now have 10,000+ miles on it with no more accedental neutrals.

<!--EDIT|Bigger-Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136854428 -->

hayabusa_beach_CT_600.jpg

Hey YH2K,
I have the issue of not letting my foot get totally out of the way and getting that feeling as if it did not change gears. I just let off and make sure I have cleared my boot/foot and then go for the gear once more and all is good!! Definatley make sure the linkage is tight (both ends) and you should be all right!! Just do not be too easy on it...The beast likes to breathe and she will show you how she appreciates it!! Be careful and let us know if it works out or if I need to make a trip down that way sometime soon! Got a 3 day weekend coming up this weekend!
tounge.gif

Chad

Be careful and let us know if it works out or if I need to make a trip down that way sometime soon!  Got a 3 day weekend coming up this weekend!  
tounge.gif
Dont be silly my man.

Bring it down here this weekend!!! Climb on my baby (the bike) and tell me if I am losing my mind or if all is good!

Yall should be ashamed for not taking your rides to "our" coast anyway
tounge.gif

I'll make it worth your while!

Ride safe my man and thanks for the support!

tounge.gif

mine did the same thing for the first couple thousand miles or so. It has no problems shifting now. I too had to up shift twice on occasion to get her to shift. Now I can use the clutch or not and it shifts perfect.

Be sure to shift with authority.[/QUOTE]
+1
And take those sneakers off and put on a pair of REAL boots if you haven'y already.

Run it for 250mi. then switch to full synthetic.

It is advice you should not ignore. There is no benefit to using inferior oil. You will have to adjust your idle after you put in syn oil because it has less drag. Think about it.

If you like your bike as much as you say you do, use full syn, your bike will last longer.

Back