Trailer to Haul Busa?

We only have one Busa for the four of us to go on trips and everyone wants to go. I failed to talk my wife into an SV650 so she could ride one of the kids. After buying my daughter a Jeep for her 16th birthday, she suggested that we haul the Busa behind the Jeep on our bike outings (red Rubicon and red/black Busa will actually be color coordinated). Since my wife refuses to ride the Busa out of protest of me selling the Gold Wing, she can ride in the Jeep and the kids can take turns riding on the Busa with me or in the Jeep if they get tired (which would be "hammer time" for me).

My question is regarding an appropriate single-bike trailer for the Jeep. I am trying to find something as lightweight as possible for the Jeep to safely handle and have enough power to pull, which pretty much dictates an aluminum trailer. I would like to have one with a solid tilting bed that I can mount one of the Baxley Sport Chocks to and also be able to haul my 4-wheel ATV on occasionally. I prefer larger tires and heavy duty axles to reduce wheel bearings maintenance. I like the torsion bar type axles so the trailer is low to the ground. I would also like to have a rock guard in front to protect the bike. I don't need it until spring so I would consider having one custom built.

Any suggestions?

Rubicon_640x480.JPG

Not sure of the cost, but I use a Triton trailer.... All aluminum, very dependable, maybe a little pricey. Had mine for almost ten years now. NEVER had so much as one problem.

Thanks Waterbug. I checked out the Triton website and then called and asked a few questions. I like their AUT8N model since the overall width is only 72 inches, it only weighs 350 pounds, and is within the range I am willing to spend.

If there is room on the trailer after loading the Busa, I am going to mount a plastic toolbox type container or two to the bed. I would like to have one for riding gear and a few tools and another for other clothes and travel items since the Rubicon has very limited interior storage space.

I don't know if you want a covered trailer or not, but I bought my trailer from <a href="http://www.motorsporttrailers.com/kendon.html">MotorSport Trailers, Inc.<a>. The Kendon is not the one that I bought, but if you go to the site's homepage you'll see mine (MS-1). It is a little wider than the Triton, but something else to consider maybe.

Jeep will pull excellent. I use mine all the time. I have a Skido trailer that was converted at the trailr fg. with a center rail for the bike. went 1140 miles t South Fl. Pulls nice becase of large tires.

i got a trailer for 245 from sportsutilitytrailer.com It is a do it yourself kit. It took me a day to build it and i traveled from IL to NC from NC to MS and from MS back to IL and I had no probs with it. Only problem was the thing you set the trailer on when its not attached...well it doesnt come with the kit. Also you have to get a wider rail for the tire. I towed my katana with it all the way same length and weight as the busa so it shouldnt be a prob. ONly thing is teh incline is so steep i had to remove the bottom fairings off my kat. Oh yeah pulled it through the hills of W.VA with a 1996 v6 mustang. 150 hp 200lbs tq. (thats brand new so mine has probably 110 hp and 150lbs tq. Ill take a pic when i get off work if you want to see it.

BigBSBusa,
I like the design of your MS-1. No I don't desire a covered trailer for this application mainly because of the extra weight.

Ninja Eater,
Was your Skido a boat trailer before the conversion? I am not only worried about the Jeep's pulling power, but also the stopping ability with my wife or daughter driving especially since I don't plan on buying trailer brakes.

him,
The address you gave doesn't seem to exist. When I leave out the "s", it takes me to an outdoor cooking page. Can you please check the address?

Thanks in advance everyone,

too_many_hobbies

i assume the jeep has a 4.0. i pulled a 7,000 puond plus bobcat excavator with our jeep 4.0 and had no problems. i see no use for the trailer brakes on such a small load. the short wheel base is nice for backing also. i got my atv/bike trailer from fleet/farm for around 500 bucks hasnt failed me yet and seems to take abuse well. its a steel trailer which i can barley notice behind the jeep, even when towing.

Matt

My friend and I modified his small cargo trailer. It hauls great and holds 1 or 2 Busa's. And it was cheap.

Hill_Country_Ride_0261.JPG

Hey hooken203, I bet your Yukon/Tahoe will out-wheelie your Busa with that setup!

That pic reminds me of something I ran across on the internet once where the front wheel of the bike is held off the ground by a mount connected to the receiver hitch and the back wheel roles on the ground. Anyone used that one?

BigBSBusa,
I like the design of your MS-1.  No I don't desire a covered trailer for this application mainly because of the extra weight.

Ninja Eater,
Was your Skido a boat trailer before the conversion?  I am not only worried about the Jeep's pulling power, but also the stopping ability with my wife or daughter driving especially since I don't plan on buying trailer brakes.

him,
The address you gave doesn't seem to exist.  When I leave out the "s", it takes me to an outdoor cooking page.  Can you please check the address?

Thanks in advance everyone,

too_many_hobbies
No not a boat trailer a Skidoo is much shorter. No problem stopping with the jeep and it has plenty of power. You ahve the 200hp 6 I would guess. which has = torque

http://sportutilitytrailers.com/

Try this one the one on the home page is a new model for two bikes its just like the one i have but mine only has one rail. If you do get it you need to get a wider tire track

Ninja Eater,

Yes, the Rubicon comes standard with the 4.0 inline 6-cylinder, 4.11 gears, and 4 wheel disc brakes. I have never owned a Jeep before (still don't according to my daughter) and from the responses I have gotten so far, I must be underestimating its towing capabilities.

I grew up on a rice/soybean farm operating all kinds of equipment and pulling all kinds of trailers from relatively small trailers behind pickups to drop decks and grain trailers with 18-wheelers. My concern is with my wife pulling the trailer with my Busa onboard and of course my daughter with no trailering experience, her insurance is high enough already.

him,
Yes, that one works. Thank you.

Ninja Eater,
Due to your first spelling I thought your trailer was some brand I had never heard of. I realize now that you were referring to a trailer for a personal watercraft.

If you're going to have one custom built have a copy made of a U-Haul motorcycle trailer.

bdm.com

This one was so nice I didn't want to return it. Drive right up and the bikes front tire fits into a pocket. The rear gate then folds up and locks into position. The tires are very wide and the suspension is great, no bouncing even without a bike on it. I drove from NW Indiana with no bike on it to West Virginia, bought the bike and brought it back home.

You are underestimating your Jeep. My Toyota is an '88 4 cylinder automatic with the factory bumper hitch and I couldn't even tell the trailer was back there while going through mountains with the A/C cranked up. No need for aluminum, plus the lighter it is the more prone it will be to bouncing around.

Cheap to rent too. Picked it Saturday morning and returned it Monday morning...total was like $29 bucks.

its a pretty decent trailer it cost me 400 shipped and i just put it together. if you go with this make sure you strap it down. I had handle bar straps and i also purchased a pack of rubber straps. Had it rigged so tight that when i put all my weight on the bike the whole trailer would move with the bike like it was bolted down.

This is my trailer. I tow my Busa with my Camaro.

Kit trailer from Harbor Freight

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103779268 -->

Dcp_0928_mod.jpg

Back