TPS vs THROTTLE BODIES

Busa-Tamer

Registered
WSUP BUSA RIDERS

QUESTION OF THE DAY

1999 Hayabusa My Baby My Beast My throttle position sensor is bad throwing the code for it in dealer mode. Dealer can order me a new one. But I'm also told by someone else who I do value their opinion says buy complete throttle bodies because tps is calibrated on them. My service manual says and explains tps can be adjusted and service mode. So should I purchase a TPS $200 or complete throttle bodies with TPS attached $500. Seems silly when its the sensor when my throttles bodies not bad. sound off help please.

The TPS can be adjusted. That said, I woudl buy a used one rather than a new one. Post a picture of teh TPS itself as there are two different ones.

I seem to be having trouble posting pics but its the tps that take a screw on two sides. the other tps only have one screw

Who is trying to sell you throttle bodies for $500???
The older sensors are 2 bolt. You you use a newer set of tb's you just have to transfer your fuel rail and injector harness.
Your old model injector harness will plug into the newer tps
You just need the newer throttle bodies to do so.

What code do you read? You may just have a poor electrical contact inside a connector, which needs 5 min cleaning, while your TPS is perfectly good. Simple things first... If this is the case, the new TPS may not solve your issue.

Especially if your bike has seen a lot of humidity/heat/cold cycles over the years. You may have other connectors on the bike developing poor electrical contacts inside connectors. They just need proper cleaning and will be as good as new.

first... the throttle bodies do not calibrate the tps sensor. It is adjusted by putting your bike in dealer mode. loosening the tps screw and turning it slightly until the mark on the gauges reads in the center. Second..... only the 99 and 2000 Busa's tps has 2 mounting bolts, all of the others have one. Third..... whom ever this person is that you value their opinion dont listen to them anymore

I have 4 of them sitting here that work. Hit me up if you want one

View attachment 1564226

first... the throttle bodies do not calibrate the tps sensor. It is adjusted by putting your bike in dealer mode. loosening the tps screw and turning it slightly until the mark on the gauges reads in the center. Second..... only the 99 and 2000 Busa's tps has 2 mounting bolts, all of the others have one. Third..... whom ever this person is that you value their opinion dont listen to them anymore

View attachment 1564227
Heck ya. That's the way to go

ok everybody here is correct. no one is trying to sell me anything I threw the prices out there as ballpark for brand new parts not used. Which are ballpark prices according to bike bandit. The reputation of the person whose opinion I said I value is great. The suzuki dealer that I deal with said $194 for the TPS I didn't quote throttle bodies. Remember any price I'm seeing on the web don't include shipping,on stock,back order etc. the motorcycle salvage yard I deal with said throttle bodies complete $350 they would not separate the tps. Now I have used all my sources dealer,freind,salvage yard, service manual, and MY HAYABUSA.ORG Family to get answers THANKS EVERYONE

That's exactly it older model I have a 1999 How can I obtain one of them from you

View attachment 1564228

IG thanks for the advice How and what cleaner do you suggest I clean them with ?? CODE C14
What code do you read? You may just have a poor electrical contact inside a connector, which needs 5 min cleaning, while your TPS is perfectly good. Simple things first... If this is the case, the new TPS may not solve your issue.

Especially if your bike has seen a lot of humidity/heat/cold cycles over the years. You may have other connectors on the bike developing poor electrical contacts inside connectors. They just need proper cleaning and will be as good as new.

IG thanks for the advice How and what cleaner do you suggest I clean them with ?? CODE C14

Open TPS connector and look inside both male and female parts with a flashlight, and see if you notice any obvious oxidation/corrosion. If you do, you may need to carefully scrub it off with a sharp object. Just do it gently so you don't damage the contacts. Regardless of that, get contact cleaner from any auto parts store like AutoZone or Home Depot. It is a spray can with high pressure.

Absolutely wear protective goggles for the next step, and try not to breath that stuff: spray inside every connector with one or two quick bursts, turn connector upside down if you can so that the liquid drips off. Give it a minute or two - the rest will evaporate. Plug back in and out a couple of times so the contacts rub against each other a couple of times, then plug it back in, and see if this helps your problem.

My '01 would shut off randomly in the middle of a ride, showing different codes in the process. Once I cleaned all connectors on the bike, it never happened again.

If this turns out to be a positive solution, take it as a hint, and do the same to ALL connectors on your bike. Would be the best few hours you could spend. Additionally to cleaning, get the dielectric grease from AutoZone or similar store, and stuff liberally in every connector you just cleaned. You will never have a poor contact in those connectors again.

Considering that your bike is a '99 model, and probably has seen its share of humidity and heat, and I assume you never opened up most of the connectors, I would recommend cleaning all connectors anyway. Just take your time and be gentle. Some of those connectors are stubborn. So, take your time and use the flashlight to figure out how they open so you don't accidentally break any of them.

Let us know your finding.

BTW, C14 could be caused by one of the following - straight from the service manual: TPS open circuit (most likely in my opinion due to poor electrical contact), TPS closed circuit (i.e. short - very unlikely), incorrectly adjusted TPS (why would it be if you didn't touch it?), TPS malfunction (possible, but less likely), ECM malfunction (very unlikely, otherwise you would have more problems).

Back