Tps Issue?

DominoRX

Registered
Hi all,
This is a repeat of a Fb message I put up earlier but thought I might cast the net wider or some idea of the potential problem. Today I had to MOT another bike and as I was geared up, and there was a little bit of sun, I got the Busa out for first ride, (its a 99 Gen 1), bike was running fine but for some reason I cant fathom I got a weird throttle surge once or twice, each time was when pulling off from a junction, (revs then went crazy).
Thing is due to its long lay up I know she has (all oem parts) new Fuel pump, new injectors (fair to assume they were balanced when installed), the tank was also removed and cleaned. Also She starts on the button warms up and drops to a nice tickover - then runs perfectly fine UNTIL this one issue.....I did a quick google and Im leaning toward a TPS issue but would appreciate any other ideas of what the problem might be?

Cheers all, R

Welcome to the org :thumbsup: Im sure there are people who would like to help. Can you be more specific on the issue you are having? Revs going crazy??

Welcome to the org :thumbsup: Im sure there are people who would like to help. Can you be more specific on the issue you are having? Revs going crazy??

Hi yes of course, thanks - by going crazy it seems to be a one of (intermittent) surge whilst at low revs as about to increase throttle real ease clutch pull away scenario the revs steam up to 6000? Possibly higher. Did it twice and as its a problem I bought her straight home.

I did a maintenance mode check after work tonight though and the TPS bar in the Chec screen is at the bottom so there is deffo a problem there and perhaps that the cause.....I will re set the TPS at the weekend and take her for another spin, If its not that given most other bits are new replaced it will probably be headed for the Dyno to investigate.

Thanks again
R

Check the tps voltage while very slowly opening the throttle. It should increase smooth from approx .7 volt with the throttle closed to over 4 volts with the throttle open.

Can you try disconnecting the TPS and then take it for a ride, either unplug it or leave it plugged in but remove it from the end of the throttle body, at least this would eliminate your TPS.
I always thought the TPS was just for giving the smoothest throttle control but I’m not sure.

If this is happening at slower speed, check your throttle cable for binding. Does the throttle snap closed quickly like normal? If you turn the handlebars to the left does it hang open?

If this is happening at slower speed, check your throttle cable for binding. Does the throttle snap closed quickly like normal? If you turn the handlebars to the left does it hang open?
Hi,
Yes checked throttle control bud - bike does run absolutely fine other than this one issue, tbh, she started from a cold start warmed up nicely then I set off, only possibly thing that may have been a trigger is that the heat of the engine had reached a certain point as it didnt happen until 15-20 mins into the ride but did happen twice, at which point I pointed back to base.
Cheers

Can you try disconnecting the TPS and then take it for a ride, either unplug it or leave it plugged in but remove it from the end of the throttle body, at least this would eliminate your TPS.
I always thought the TPS was just for giving the smoothest throttle control but I’m not sure.

I didnt know you could just remove it?

Forgot to mention, that if you remove it, make sure you pull the small plastic locating peice out of the throttle body or TPS, when you remove the TPS from the end of the throttle bodies, otherwise it’s easily lost, I remember watching my one roll away, luckily I saw it.

Back