Touring

PiratesRacing

Registered
Hi: I currently have a 04 zx10r and owned a ZX9R before that. I am looking for a bike that I can feel comfortable and safe with my wife on the back. I recently sat on a m109r and it felt very awkward and I’m not sure I can get used to it. My wife like the spyder and I’m not sure about that either. She won’t be driving … There is a busa at the local shop with a couple thousand kms on it for about 1/2 price and I’m thinking maybe with a Corbin seat and backrest it would be best kind. I’m about 185lbs plus gear and my wife is about 230lbs plus gear. I don’t want to scare the crap out of her and my 10R is still my fun bike. A fun bike I can share is what I am looking for.

I realize no bike is ideal with a passenger but I assume the busa and 14r are probably the best suited bikes in the riding position I’m comfortable with ???

Thank you.

Dave

Welcome....to an 'ol Newf bye.... (been married to a Newf for over 32 yrs)

Well the Hayabusa can be used for lots of things and two up touring is one of them...what year is the Hayabusa?

There are lots of touring options, like seats, bags, different handlebar set ups and such.....right now things are a bit sparse for the Gen 3 but it's coming along.

You will want to address the suspension first and foremost....with passenger, you are well over the capabilities of the suspension and it will need to be resprung for sure.

Thank you BumbleBee. You’ve got a good woman then . 2019 Busa. I’m not at all worried about changing the spring or whatever to make it comfortable for her.
@Bumblebee 's not talking about comfort, he's talking about proper handling.

welcome to the org
Exactly, without re-springing it, the bike will wallow all over the place in corners....I had to re-spring mine for my weight as before it was nasty in the corners and wouldn't hold a line worth a tinker's damn...

.....she's a tough lady from out near Spaniard's Bay...

Thanks again. East Coast Newfie … at least she’s not a “townie” lol. I’m on the West Coast but spend a lot of time on that coast.
There are a lot of aftermarket parts out there for a 2nd Gen for sure.....you can really set it up for anything..

Here is @c10 and his "Busa Wing" he has since moved on twice and is now on a BMW RS1250....but his Ram Jam was the standard for most of us..

My 5'3" 140# wife is OK on the back around town. The higher foot pegs are a limitation for long-term comfort for her. The SW-Motech rack makes a decent grab rail.

IMG_7549-M.jpg

With the soft luggage strap accross the rear cushion, we do not tour together. A proper hard bag set up would likely solve.

IMG_7572-M.jpg

90% of the time it's just me and the tank bag. I would solo tour one of these anytime. With a double-bubble and a throttle-lock, those 200 mile tankfulls go by just fine. Not a Goldwing by anymeans. But it's a good all-arounder.

IMG_8027-M.jpg

IMO the Busa is not designed for comfortable two up touring, especially for a large or tall pillion. The thousand dollar cost for seats and a backrest is just one consideration. The peg distance and angle is not good and luggage options for two up touring are few if not non existent considering they (saddlebags) would also have to accommodate the legs and boots of the pillion. OK for a weekender, sure. Long distance touring, multi state rides, doubtful. Of course, some choose to mount a large hard case box on a rack extending beyond the rear wheel. I personally can’t stand the sight of them hanging off the rear of a Hayabusa no matter how convenient they might be.

The pillion who wants to tour always chooses the bike. If they don’t enjoy the ride, they don’t ride.

Try having someone sit in front with a helmet and boots on and then hoist yourself onto the rear seat, also with a helmet on and find the pegs for your boots. Imagine staying there for an hour or two. Even Suzuki’s liter sized touring bike would be a hard sell for a pillion. Look where the rear pegs are.

IMG_3220.jpg

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated. Our longest ride would be 1day hang out for a weekend and drive back a few times per year. Most rides would be in the 3-4hr range each way … My work is busy in the riding season so for the most part I only get weekends … thx

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated. Our longest ride would be 1day hang out for a weekend and drive back a few times per year. Most rides would be in the 3-4hr range each way … My work is busy in the riding season so for the most part I only get weekends … thx
I talked to my wife about her riding with me, she said there is no way on God's green earth that she would get on the back of that thing.....

She said if I had a bike like my brother's (BMW RT) she'd consider it more...

I thought of you and your question at that point...

Back