Touring Mods ????

Mike.P175

Donating Member
Registered
O/K guys taking my first long distance trip in October. Will be riding
for Atlanta to Louisiana and back in 3 days. Would like for you guys to
post up mods to your bikes made for touring. Oh I saw a windscreen made by
MRA Vario on a post a while back anyone know where to get one?? Thanks
guys/girls all info would be appreciated.

I run a V1 with earbuds on a Techmount stem stand, a ThrottleMeister, a PR2 rear and PP front. I also found some extended 'bungee' bolts so my 24" seatbag netting doesn't rub the paint. I also have 1" Delrin mirror extenders, a tank bra, a Cortech mini tankbag and a 'Quick Stand' for dealing with the chain on long hauls. I also carry a Genuine Innovations tire repair kit, a NR cover and a rear disc lock for motel nights and carry RVRoadhelp towing insurance, just in case. So far, in 28 months, I've managed to put over 25,000 miles on my 06. Oh yeah, I also use a K&N filter and Amsoil synthetic too.

DSCN0422__Medium_.JPG

Thanks guys. There is so much you can do. I already have a double bubble, and risers. Going to get Buell pegs new windscreen maybe a gel seat, still debating on what bags to use. You guys have given me a bunch of ideas. Looking at a radar detector also.

Mike, there's a bunch of busa's here set up for sport-touring and distance riding. Lots out there to make your ride your ride. I've spent years modding mine and will ride past 80,000 miles of traveling on this bike.

Clicky:

My most recent mods are the new Adaptiv TPX radar detector.

Most recent ride pics from couple days are here: Clicky for Linky

Quick note about bar risers is I rode with Doyle the other day, and while I've got my bars in the stock position still (which works great for me), if you feel the need to raise the bars, Doyle had an interesting combo of spacers under the triple tree & a set of heli-bars. We swapped bikes and it was a huge difference over stock. Felt more like a Yamaha FZ1 was what came to mind.

Img_0064_hayabusa_bar_risers.jpg

Mike - another quick note on bags. There's tons of choices, and price points are all over the place. From $1000 for set of Corbin Beetle Bags to cheapo china soft luggage.

I've been using the RKA Luggage saddlebags (made in Windsor, CA) for last couple years. RKA's been around a long time and makes simple clean stuff. Easy on & off is what I like best about these. They're expandable too, you can fit a helmet in there.

Img_0011_RKA_Luggage_640.jpg

Thanks Pashnit I have been looking at the Adaptiv radar on your site going to purchase next month with the mount and speaker. Already have the Reaper Risers on and I might get the Helli bars also. Doing things on a budget with a son starting College, a son starting
High school, and one going to Pre-K 4 at a Private School, still want a good set of bags
at a good price.

still want a good set of bags at a good price.
Lot of options on bags Mike. Pic up any catalog, and there's muliple manufactures with a mulitide of offerings. Even mounting options are all over the place. The RKA expandable bags Ihave been using the last few years work well, but are pricey. Lil over $200, but also made locally north of San Francisco. The Bagster setup I've been using last couple years is also pricey at lil over $300 for the tank cover+tank bag combo.

You might first decide if you want to stick to soft-saddlebags, top bag over rear seat, or all three. I like traveling with the hump on so rarely used a bag over the rear seat. Companies like Tour Master also makes some reasonable soft-saddlebags that are modular: ~$150. You can buy the top bag at later time and it all snaps together.

'Nother option the some of the members have here is the rear racks that use the frankenstein bolt locations to mount the rack. Top bag can face rearward (carrying passenger), or face inward. This way nothing touches the paint either.

...shot of Doyle's bike. ( The Ultra Classic I had on that ride was on loan.
laugh.gif
)

Img_9197_Harley_busa.jpg

Back