Torque wrench info

OB_BullDog

Registered
Where in Canada is the best place to buy a torque wrench at a good price. What are some minimum features you should look for. I don't want to buy the first one I see on sale only to find out it breaks after a few uses...
any recommendations??

Just my two pence worth. If at all possible get a Snap On torque wrench. I work with torques daily and have seen the difference between a cheap and a good torque wrench first hand. This is one tool worth buying with a good name. Snap on dealers are pretty accesible and you can look them up on the net.www snap-on
Good luck

My Uncle -in-law I guess he calibrates tool for a living in Houston his I always send mine to him Once a year One time I sent him a Craftman torque wrench he phoned me to let me know it was 5 lbs off at 30ftlbs.
He told me snap-on only or Mac.
Never buy a torque wrench that is lets say 75 ftlbs and you plan on torquing to 72.5ftlbs you are now out of spec.You need a 100 ftlbs one.

Does anybody have a url or a phone number for Snap-On. You can't go into a store to buy their tools and I don't work at a shop where they visit.

You will probably need to buy 2 torque wrenches. I think there is one available from as little as 10 ft lbs to 50 ft lbs. the second torque wrench usually starts at 30 ft lbs and goes up to around 110 ft lbs. Unfortunately you need the smaller on bikes quite alot. The problem is you need the bigger one to as when it comes to tightening cylinderheads etc.

I know you can find Snap-on.co.uk on the web. I am sure you will find a Canadian Supplier. I would ask any garage near you. As generally where you find a Mechanic you will find a Snap on dealer.
Good Luck
P.S. Black and Charcoal Busa's are the fastest for sure!!!!

Go to CanuckTire. Buy the best one they have - forget what the CanuckTire brand is. They have more than one size. I think they mark them down once or twice a year. I have been using one and I'm happy with it.

SnapOn..ok this is what I though I would hear...

Will 1 wrench do the trick on my busa? What are the LB ranges? I mean, isn't there bolts with 5-10lbs torque?

Should I buy a small and a large one? Or is there really a 5-100lb one?

I am terrible for hand tightening everything... I usually can tell when it's too tight... the bolt head breaks off..

I have come across situations where you do not have any room to use a socket with the torque wrench. There is just enough room to slide a regular wrench. In this situation it would be great to have an adapter to attach the regular wrench to the torque wrench. Motion Pro makes just one wrench size 12-14 mm. It is called a torque wrench adapter. It is like a regular wrench with a 3/8 drive hole in the middle.
Does anyone know of any manufacturer that makes a set of these or a special adapter?

The best I have found for working on bikes is to have (at least) two different torque wrenches.

One is 1ft/lbs to 75ft/lbs, 3/8" drive. This is great for all of the 6mm fasteners that are torqued anywhere from 5 to 11ft/lbs. If you need to torque in inch/pds, just convert by dividing by twelve.

The other is 45ft/lbs to 250ft/lbs, 1/2" drive. This is good for axles, clutch hub nuts, starter clutch, etc..

Both of mine are Snapon's. Expensive, but well worth it. Occasionally I could use an inch/lbs 3/8" drive, mostly because of it's small size. But the 1Ft/lbs to 75ft/lbs 3/8" drive covers 90% of what I need. I believe it costs over $150 nowadays.

Dave

Back