to remap or not to remap

OB_byhalia

Registered
Robert,

I recently removed my stock canisters to inspect, and believe that the slip-ons are to "slip-on" as advertised.

I will surely be corrected if incorrect, but the 3 bolt-on locations at front of canisters, and the middle attachment of canisters, are the only points I noticed for imminent installation of slip-ons. I too need to know if there's anymore to it than bolt off/bolt on.

Holler at us guys.

Guys, as long as you've got a 12mm and 14mm spanner, the job is simple.

Remove the 3x14mm cannister nuts and the 1x12mm bracket bolt and you're done.

Thanks for the tip. Any idea as to the FI remapping requirements? My hope is that everything runs fine with the original settings, especially the low/mid range revs for day to day riding. I'm not really looking for more juice, just "here I come/please don't cut me off" sound and improved aesthetics. Any input would be appreciated.

I am patiently waiting for a pair of Yosh racing RS-3 slip-ons to arrive. I understand I can install them myself in 15 minutes. I am interested in whether or not I must re-map the FI or not. Has anyone tried running slip-ons with stock settings? Are the slip-ons an easy install for a clutz?
What are the new sound levels like?

Robert-I have the power commander II from DynoJet. With this programmer you receive a few different maps for ---full system, slipons, and stock map.
I made a quick check for differences between the stock and slipons maps. They made changes to richen the fuel map at 10% throttle position and 3000 rpm. Also made more changes at 20, 40, 60% throttle at numerous rpm points. Unfortunately, I don't think this information is that useful to you if you do not own a power commander, other than it would seem they made changes to increase power and/ or midrange response. The power Commander reamins on your bike therefore you can't transfer the maps to others unless they already own one. Spend the money. It smooths out the power and helps eliminate some of the off-on abruptness.
I have a full system so i can't give you a comparison before and after for the slipons. But it was night and day difference with the full.
Bob

Bob, Thanks for the info! I'm still fishing for someone out there with Yosh or any other slip-ons and without a remapping of the FI. Anybody?

I put a set of D&D slip ons on mine nice sound and looks I used the polished ones could not notice and real defferance in power at the lower end but yosh has said with a set of slip ons and there power programer a hp increase of 5 to 6 across the board i am going to the bike shop and have it reprogramed with the yosh unit. burt

I installed a set of Yosh street slipons. Bike runs same as stock with no adjustments, but is only slightly louder than stock.Mike

Over the weekend I ran mine w/2bros slipons and sometime on the dyno tuning did 160.5, another guy with a busa (RS3 slipons) and no tuning did 155.

These were same day, same dyno runs (real world). Tuning did get 5 hp on the top end. But what was more important, it "flattened out" the hp curve, which gave me better throttle response (acceleration).

I have installed a few RS3 Oval Street Slip-ons on a few bikes. Very basic installation as stated earlier in the post. I'm not a fan of the Street slip-ons as the have a solid metal pipe that runs from the tip of the can half way thru the baffle. The street version of the slip-ons are more for looks than performance. They do add a little bit up top and a few DB's in the sound department. They are also packed to the max with fiberglass around the baffle which can be easily removed if you so desire.
Later,
Nailz

I have just recently installed some Yosh Zyclone slip-ons (RS-3 Ovals), pn: R148SOC.
I had the 'Busa remapped as recommended and it now runs smoother & has a more even throttle response. I even got an improvement on gas mileage. I went from 36 mpg to 40-41 mpg! The suzuki shop in town here did the remapping for $27.50. They changed the LOW & MID settings only. The top setting was fine. This is in my experience, worth remapping.

[This message has been edited by asubayah (edited 11 August 1999).]

Robert: Here are the answers you asked for. I self-installed installed RS3s 4,000 miles ago. The installation is easy. Just make sure you have a new pair of the stock circular aluminum compressing gaskets on hand before you start the job.

I did not remap or otherwise adjust the EFI. On pre & post dynos, I got 5 added peak horsepower. I can't notice any improvement by the bum test, though. The noise (which is what I got them for) is enough so that you can hear your motor at high revs at any speed and don't have to look down at the tach while you're really booting along. Only downside is that I get some inconsistent backfiring on downshifting at higher revs. But who cares? Sounds mean.

I fitted a pair of Yosh RS3 race carbons and was initially disappointed with the result. Performance was down considerably, and there was alot of 'popping' on the over run.
After re-mapping and a few dyno runs, the bkie runs well again. The settings were:
Initial low = -5%
Low = +10%
Medium = +10%
High = 0

The bike pulls 156.2 BHP and hits the rev limiter at the following speeds:
1st 75 mph, 2nd 103 mph, 3rd 128 mph, 4th 154 mph, 5th 179 mph, 6th 208 mph

Hope this info helps

regards...Canuk

Back