'Tis the season... (a rant)

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
No, it's not what you think...

I'll admit, years ago, I was so anti-hunting it was nearly a crime...I swore off eating meat and could barely make it to the end of my road without seeing a hunter slicing open a deer in the back of his truck...cried like a baby...I'll admit...

I've changed.  I've come to respect some hunters...namely those that use what they kill, truly enjoy the sport and hunt wisely...my brother-in-law is a bow hunter; he is one of the reasons why I changed my tune when it comes to this subject.  He's incredibly responsible with the sport, and always uses what he kills...he uses his own skills to hunt his prey; no running dogs to flush out frightened animals.

BUT (BIG BUT), in my area of redneckville, there are a slew of hunters that are just plain irresponsible and idiotic.  They park their trucks along the road bordering all of our "NO HUNTING" land, release their undernourished, mange and lice covered radio-collared dogs, then use their trusty CBs to talk to Bubba and Bubba's brother on the OTHER side of our land...yep, "you let the dogs out to run across this 'ere private property, and we'll shoot whatever comes out the other side..."  It's pure genius I tell ya...true hunters through and through, right?  

Sh*t, I hope not...

Two weeks ago, one of my Great Danes was reportedly shot at...thankfully, the hunters can't aim very well either, so old Scooby's still with us.  I heard the shot and thought it was right in my front yard, and the neighbor that called to tell me that Scooby was at her house was in tears and hysterical, saying they were on her property.

The stories in my area of gun shots hitting homes, packs of dogs running freely across peoples' property, scaring your kids and pets out enjoying some fresh air...it's insane to me.  If I just cut my dogs loose on anyone's property, I'd be in court and they'd be in a kennel somewhere.

I've done my research over the years, found that hunting with dogs is illegal WEST of the Appalachian Mtns, but EAST it's a-okay to release packs of dogs and let them loose on personal property.  I've written the local paper, but quickly found out that one of the offenders is a board member.  I held one of his hunting dogs for a few hours, made him park his a** at the end of our long road and walk in to retrieve it, then reported the dog's pathetic health to the Humane Society.  Funny, they never did find that dog...I'm sure she was shot before she even got home...
sad.gif

Even worse, it appears that "no hunting" and "no trespassing" signs don't apply to bullets...I've always wondered why/how someone hasn't been shot by now.  I know that's what it will take for some legislation to be enacted, ruling that hunters MUST go to more secluded areas...

Even more disturbing, some how, is the fact that a property owner's rights are violated during this time of year, and I just don't understand who thought invading personal property with packs of dogs would be okay...

Just wanted to vent, get some other insight in to this sick method of hunting.  Those that have highly trained retrievers for duck hunting and the such, this doesn't apply to you...those that properly use hunting dogs and do so FAR from peoples' homes and children, kudos to you too...anyone on here able to confidently defend what I've witnessed in my own backyard for over a decade now?  I just can't see a justifiable reason for it...

Reason this is getting to me today; I left for work this morning and there were about 6 hunters/trucks parked along our road, my Dane was out on his morning venture, and I hope he made it back home before they released their dogs...just infuriates me...all that private land, posted no hunting and they can still infiltrate it without question...
rant.gif

Maybe Go Hunter Huntin??? Could be Fun... Your Property, shoot em' with fuggin Paintballs filled with OC... Should get the message across... I just cannot believe that it is legal to hunt anywhere NEER where your at, it's not like yo uare that far out in the sticks... Creepy...

Now you could set up Noise making Booby Traps, Windchimes, bust out the Deer Repellant, and flatten tires of every Hunter truck out there parked along the road. Would also be a good idea to look for areas where the hunters have been baiting deer. Look for the treestand and chop it down. Spray deoderant on the trees and perfume... Hell plant Garlic... Take the fight back to the hunters, until they get the message. All you have hunting near you are the semi-sentient knuckle draggers too damn lazy to actually go make a trip out of it from the sounds of it. Shouldn't be too hard to discourage them..

I'd also try some negative publicity. Take pictures of them and their trucks, then publish them on the Internet and send them to your local newspapers etc. I'm sure their neighbors/employers/friends would like to know what scumbags they are.

Well, I'm sure if I got too close, they'd just pop a cap in my azz...I'm brazen and b*thcy when I want to be, but I do fear their guns!
tounge.gif

Honestly, I (we, if you include many of our neighbors) have done all I know to legally do. I've called the Game Warden and know all the rights I have, what protocol they have to follow to retrieve their dogs from private property (no driving their trucks down our road; just parking at the end and having to walk in WITHOUT their guns)...doesn't matter because they are still legally allowed to run their dogs from one side of acres of private property to flush out deer. Unfortunately, it tends to flush out more than just the deer (i.e. my dogs)...

Best I've been able to do to make their lives misrable is to open my front door and let them know I'm calling the police when they're driving down my road looking for a place to park...oh, the things I've heard bleeding over to my home stereo from their CBs as they turn around and head back out...
laugh.gif

My point is that it's a lost cause in my neck of the woods...too many Bubbas...even the guys making the rules...sucks...
mad.gif

Michelle, the real important question is this:
Have you sold the movie rights yet? ? I see another Erin Brockovich type story / cash cow here.
I'd like to direct...
smile.gif

Michelle, the real important question is this:
Have you sold the movie rights yet? ?    I see another Erin Brockovich type story / cash cow here.  
I'd like to direct...  
smile.gif
What? Direct me?! Wow, ummm, well, I'd have to watch my offensive language as not to offend, right? That may be hard...
tounge.gif

So, from the replies, or lack thereof, this isn't common except in VA? Only in my part of VA? Just my little county?! Damn...

Last night, I was rolling through the back roads towards home when I had to swerve way more than I'd like to avoid a hunting dog. His owner was parked along side the road waiting to retrieve the dog...I was this close (THIS CLOSE) to turning my car around and tying his ass in a knot for running his dog and nearly causing an accident for me...I swear, it took all I had to just keep going...the words flying from my mouth, ughhhh...WWJD, save yourself, I'm not a good study...
smile.gif

smile.gif

Michelle ... I've always had good luck when writting my congressman about such matters. Their names and addresses are at www.congress.org. You can write a letter to both your State representative and your Senators. It even breaks down the congressmembers by committee, so you can also write to all of the members that handle hunting issues. You might not get satisfactory results, but you will receive a lot of responses back from your elected officials.

Michelle ... I've always had good luck when writting my congressman about such matters. Their names and addresses are at www.congress.org. You can write a letter to both your State representative and your Senators. It even breaks down the congressmembers by committee, so you can also write to all of the members that handle hunting issues. You might not get satisfactory results, but you will receive a lot of responses back from your elected officials.
Yeah, DJ...I'm thinking that's what I may do...maybe I'll have some luck...

smile.gif

My poor Governor just got a 3 page letter...
biggrin.gif

I'll spare you guys; thanks DJ for mentioning it...that's what I've needed to do all along...did I mention I can type pretty fast?! Poor guy...
laugh.gif

Sell the Busa ( & the stang, miata & hardley )...
Buy a .50cal sniper rifle...
And LOTS of rounds!

Post signs... trespassers WILL be shot...

If yer good you can peg a knee...

That'll be the last time the hunt in your neck of the woods.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1179"|1104438820 -->

Sell the Busa ( & the stang, miata & hardley )...
Buy a .50cal sniper rifle...
And LOTS of rounds!

Post signs... trespassers WILL be shot...

If yer good you can peg a knee...

That'll be the last time the hunt in your neck of the woods.
You know, as FUN as that sounds, these guys are pretty simple...they truly do hide behind what they are legally allowed to do, and forget the morals...

I somehow don't think it would really help me...me being in jail and all...
laugh.gif

Well, as an avid hunter (Go ahead michelle and board, condemn me), it's even hard for me to defend the general idiot that calls himself a hunter. Though dogs and radios and cell phones are illegal to use as hunting devices in Ohio, in general, a vast majority of hunters have no respect for the rules and regulations. It' funny how a plugged shotgun with a limit of 3 shells suddenly rings out across a valley with 5 shots.......hmmmmmm. And if 5 shots were necessary, maybe you shouldn't have taken the first. As I said, I'm a hunter, It's my winter passion like the busa is my summers. I spend practically every weekend in the woods from October through January looking for mister big. I eat what I shoot, and I search for it till I find it. I've witnessed so many hunters sling lead across a field, look for maybe 10 minutes for blood, decide he missed it, and move on to shoot another, when with just a little more effort a deer might have been recovered.

Now as for trespassing, your barking right up my tree. There are so many hunters (and fisherman) that have no respect for property. My family owns approximately 1,000 acres, completely posted "NO HUNTING, NO FISHING, NO TRESPASSING". Every year signs are torn down, or run over, and then the trespasser denies ever seeing a sign. Have called the local officials, and the DNR and even if the guy has shot a deer and is dragging him off my property, all they will do is give a warning the first time cause the guy always says "I didn't see a sign", "I didn't know this was private property", and my favorite "I've hunted here all my life". Well maybe he has, but the signs say No hunting now.

Well, there's my little rant, I know I'm not the only hunter on this board, but hunters as a whole do very little to help give hunters a better name in the public eye. A good number are asinine inconciderate, ego driven, poaching, drunks, that just so happen to make the headlines, and Michelle's rants......., but there are plenty of good people in the woods, honest hunters, respectfull men and woman, enjoying a hobby, spending time with nature, and filling a freezer with the years nourishment, and it's for these people that I pray their hobby can continue without being tarnished by the likes of some.

I somehow don't think it would really help me...me being in jail and all...
laugh.gif
Well that is why ya need the signs posted. Real signs...
not those flimsy paper ones.

The law doesn't permit people to trespass.
You are just protecting your & your children's lives.

You didn't know they were just trying to pick up some dogs.
The only dogs you saw were to mangy to actually belong
to someone.

Ya could do what a friend of mine did in Tennessee...
He'd turn on the sprinkler system.. totally soak 'em...

pirate.gif
  Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1181"|1104513973 -->

I can feel ya on what you're saying Michelle. I'm no hunter, but I've often been tempted to start. After all, Louisiana is SPORTSMAN'S PARADISE! I go fishig occassionally, but for the exact same reasons that you and others have stated about the "idiots with guns" syndrome, I've stayed my distance. A large number of people who hunt shouldn't even lawfully be allowed to carry a gun... much less a fuggin' slingshot. I'm definitely feeling concern for your situation as it does create a very dangerous situation for you and your family.
sad.gif
sad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

sad.gif

mad.gif

What?  Direct me?!  Wow, ummm, well, I'd have to watch my offensive language as not to offend, right?  That may be hard...
tounge.gif
I wouldn't be directing YOU.... your part would be played by Pamela Anderson:
pamela.jpg
Hey WWJD, couldn't you find someone prettier and more sophisticated to play Michelle's role?
rock.gif
You know that Pamela couldn't even hold a candle to one of our favorite ladies...
biggrin.gif

Back