Tired of header wrap

teezy

Registered
I have a HMF BIG BIRD on my busa. Due to the larger tube header it has to be wrapped so it doesnt warp or melt the fairings. Has anyone removed the wrap and had the large tube header powder coated or jet coated.

careful with that...using a material that isn't meant for moderating head dispersion like asb wrap often just causes a lot more trouble by incidentally insulating instead. I'd be worried about header heat output personally, but it may not even be a problem. I have the same issue when I got my exhaust and just RTV'd the entire inside of my fairing...less wrap overall, no more warping no matter where it gets hot, and I get to keep my perfect balance between primary and secondary exhaust breathing :thumbsup:

my bad - it's not an rtv wrap, it's heat wrap that i cut into strips to layer the fairing with. I used RTV silicone gasket sealer to adhere it to the side panels because it's flexible, wont crack when dry for when you are taking off your side panels, and is 600 degree F resistant.

black RTV is just fine for the job - make sure to work it into the fibers so it seals well (i also lightly toughed sand paper to the inside to rough the plastics up for a good seal surface) - can get it just about anywhere a tool shop is or auto store. i got mine from harbor freight for 3$. 1 tube should handle ~6" (about 2 strips) just fine for both sides so if you want 4 strips tall on both sides you'll probably want 2 tubes...but trust me, the stuff is amazing and i doubt you'll use super glue again after this stuff.

ps: cuts with a blade like butter so just pour the stuff on and cut excess off after it dries.

Header wrap does work good but in high humid or East coast living, you will corrode the header from the inside out........

I have ceramic coated several headers from cars to bikes with or without turbos.......it works good but as far as heat coming off of them, it isn't quite as good as wrap but good enough from burning plastics....

If your plastics are already touching it won't matter if you have coating or not.....

As far as I'm concerned, If you've got money to burn start throwing everything at it in combination. :thumbsup:

I'm poor so wrap will have to do for me :p

Header wrap does work good but in high humid or East coast living, you will corrode the header from the inside out........

I have ceramic coated several headers from cars to bikes with or without turbos.......it works good but as far as heat coming off of them, it isn't quite as good as wrap but good enough from burning plastics....

If your plastics are already touching it won't matter if you have coating or not.....

I agree and do the same to all my busa's.

Back